onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It's all immaterial. Until we learn to see out games, avoid red cards, and create better chances, we aren't getting out of this league. We can bemoan bad luck, 'dust ourselves down and go again', and pat ourselves on the back that we had 3 shots on target instead of 1, but this is getting silly.

I think 'we go again' will definitely be on the Askey/Kevan bingo card tonight.

It's not so much the game today that has disappointed me, it's more the macro stuff that has gone on since the summer.

It mainly boils down to poor business in the transfer market, strengthening the squad rather than the first team. None of the summer signings have particularly impressed or grabbed their chance with both hands. Pope is a veteran and the other three strikers are a bit meh. Robinson has been a disappointment, Rodney is hot and cold (very cold today).

Advert

Just now, Santa said:

I think 'we go again' will definitely be on the Askey/Kevan bingo card tonight.

It's not so much the game today that has disappointed me, it's more the macro stuff that has gone on since the summer.

Mainly poor business in the transfer market, strengthening the squad rather than the first team. None of the summer signings have particularly impressed or grabbed their chance in the team with both hands. Pope is a veteran and the other three strikers are a bit meh.

Askey's transfer dealings have been largely poor. The best 11 is still mostly a side he inherited. Our best players certainly are.

Just now, Conrad said:

Conlon was a half time sub, so the game wasn’t stopped for his substitution.

We have a manager, who the only time he was in league management got sacked after a few months. He cost us against Tranmere for not using a sub in the 90th minute. Never used subs to good effect, if he uses them at all.  Give him untill Christmas like most on here want too (but we wont then be anywhere near promotion)  Then we can see where we are

24 minutes ago, Santa said:

Legge walks that tightrope far too often, especially for a man of his years. I worried about him after his early booking against Southend against a couple of quick young lads but he got away with it. Their lad Labadie was experienced enough to make sure it wasn't going to happen today.

He's bang out of form and even if he was available on Tuesday, Brisley needs to come into the side.

He really does. I nearly put a bet on him to get sent off today after his first yellow card. 

That result is a absolute gutter. I actually expect and equalizer / winning goal against us in injury time in every game. 

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

You mentioned Southend not Colchester. Who finished in the play offs so scored 12 in a good side with players like nouble. I think pope should get to that tally. Cullen looks off it this season. Rodney very raw so can’t see those two reaching double figures. I’d be shocked if Robinson gets 5 league goals for us. 

Tom has 12 in his last 45 appearances. Several of these were penalties.

Building our attack round a fading 35 year old will not yield the success we crave.  Tom still has a role, but for me now an impact sub.

it may be controversial, but I think Askey should stick with either Robinson or Cullen as his first choice rather than chopping and changing.  It may well be that neither is the answer and an upgrade when Tom’s no doubt sizeable League 2 wage can be added back into the budget and a quality No9 signed.  

Absolute sickener, Vale not getting the run of the ball at all but it will change over the season, Where the hell did the ref get 6 mins from.

All the players gave their all, I only saw the replay of Legg's 2nd yellow card from a distance and it looked harsh to me and gave the ref the opportunity to make the game even more about him.

21 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Oh, right. Well my point was that maybe Askey couldn’t have done much after the sending off. Ultimately I don’t think he’ll be judged on today. But he will be judged on his failure to bring in a more potent striking option than Mark Cullen. Just my opinion.

Loads of folk on here were pleased when we signed Cullen after his strike rate last season which was about second in the division. 

Same crap from Askey as last match and the match before that.  We do not get the run of the ball, its hard to take.  The players are showing the effort.  We just need to turn the corner.  Hopefully by Christmas we will be in the position of pushing on.  Why does he not make a recording and just give it to the report.

By Christmas we will be settled in mid league and the gap will be wider.  Fans will be calling for his head with more vigor.  You need to make players realise they need to take the blame for stupid tackles and getting sent off.  He also needs to make sure they are more disciplined.

I'll leave it with the comment of a well-informed neutral who watched us against Tranmere, and described us as 'nice', which is about the sum of it.
GOALS win games. We haven't got the capacity or personnel to score enough goals. Blatantly obvious last season. Nowt has changed this. We can play all the "nice" tippey tappey football we like BUT we will NOT score enough to get us out of this Division.

Archived