onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL. 

Sick and tired of this football club.

The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute at a far higher rate than other clubs. We could all list the times in the past year in which this club has punched us in the gut.

Is it just a load of bad luck? Is it poor game management? Is it mentally switching off? Is it panicking under a bit of anticipated pressure in a game of football? Fitzpatrick should have received a shout and not out it behind. We should have closed the Tranmere player down. These are avoidable errors, consistently made in the 96th minute with points on the line. And they've occurred throughout Askey's tenure, whether they are attributable to him or otherwise.

I'm not sure. We weren't awful today but Newport edged it. The fact that we all knew the goal was coming should summarise how this current setup feels. The red card was spot on and, once more, we failed to see it out, as we always do. Two red cards in three. What's going on?

6 defeats. Only had 7 all last year. Another Saturday of Crewe and Stoke fans laughing at us, for the third time in a fortnight. We're as close to 13th as we are to the playoffs currently, with Legge, Joyce, Pope, and probably Amoo out for Tuesday. We're out of both cups and were embarrassed by Kings Lynn a mere fortnight ago, and have lost three in the league since in similarly infuriating fashion. 

It's all immaterial. Until we learn to see out games, avoid red cards, and create better chances, we aren't getting out of this league. We can bemoan bad luck, 'dust ourselves down and go again', and pat ourselves on the back that we had 3 shots on target instead of 1, but this is getting silly.

Advert

Good point but I think Legge himself is to blame rather than Labadie buying the foul. 
He had a terrible touch and stretched out recklessly given he was on a yellow
Both tackles were yellow cards so deserved to go but Manny & Rodney should have done better for the first one. All ifs & buts I know

7 minutes ago, blackdog said:

He was on loan last season from Southend at Colchester and ended up leading scorer with 12 from 28 games.

Do we have a player capable of that this season ?

You mentioned Southend not Colchester. Who finished in the play offs so scored 12 in a good side with players like nouble. I think pope should get to that tally. Cullen looks off it this season. Rodney very raw so can’t see those two reaching double figures. I’d be shocked if Robinson gets 5 league goals for us. 

Currently has 3 league goals in 24 for us. Overall his record is poor as well. I’ve said it loads but I think askeys signings are nothing short of dreadful - most got released at the end of last season and the ones signed are no better than those released. 

A thought experiment for you all.

Picture 12/13 Micky Adams is manager. The bloke who put the entire squad on the transfer list after a 3-1 defeat to a rampant, league winning Notts County. Who would boot players into touch (Morsy, Burge, Roberts) at the first sign of a problem, rightly or wrongly.

How would he react to consistently conceding late goals (consolidating a solid year of it happening repeatedly), silly avoidable reds, getting knocked out of the cup by a non-league side, all within a fortnight of each other? How would he react to 4 defeats in 5 (4 on the bounce if you're not counting beating literal children?).

I don't think he'd say we were unlucky and we go again, covering the issue up and blaming it all on Lady Fortune and her whimsical ways.

25 minutes ago, Saphenous said:

You can't keep changing our manager....that means new players, new formations and upheaval. Changing manager risks upsetting the season so far. Agreed we've lost today but we're playing a top 6 team, on their own ground. FFS do you think we're entitled to win every match? 

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL. 

Sick and tired of this football club.

The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute at a far higher rate than other clubs. We could all list the times in the past year in which this club has punched us in the gut.

Is it just a load of bad luck? Is it poor game management? Is it mentally switching off? Is it panicking under a bit of anticipated pressure in a game of football? Fitzpatrick should have received a shout and not out it behind. We should have closed the Tranmere player down. These are avoidable errors, consistently made in the 96th minute with points on the line. And they've occurred throughout Askey's tenure, whether they are attributable to him or otherwise.

I'm not sure. We weren't awful today but Newport edged it. The fact that we all knew the goal was coming should summarise how this current setup feels. The red card was spot on and, once more, we failed to see it out, as we always do. Two red cards in three. What's going on?

6 defeats. Only had 7 all last year. Another Saturday of Crewe and Stoke fans laughing at us, for the third time in a fortnight. We're as close to 13th as we are to the playoffs currently, with Legge, Joyce, Pope, and probably Amoo out for Tuesday. We're out of both cups and were embarrassed by Kings Lynn a mere fortnight ago, and have lost three in the league since in similarly infuriating fashion. 

It's all immaterial. Until we learn to see out games, avoid red cards, and create better chances, we aren't getting out of this league. We can bemoan bad luck, 'dust ourselves down and go again', and pat ourselves on the back that we had 3 shots on target instead of 1, but this is getting silly.

Some good points .....

27 minutes ago, Saphenous said:

You can't keep changing our manager....that means new players, new formations and upheaval. Changing manager risks upsetting the season so far. Agreed we've lost today but we're playing a top 6 team, on their own ground. FFS do you think we're entitled to win every match? 

Yeah and we lost to 2nd bottom at home in the week and a pub side the week before. 

What would it upset? We’re not exactly flying are we

2 minutes ago, Old fort said:

How did Adams react to losing six on the bounce?

Got sacked/resigned. Askey's on 4, if we avoid the Liverpool game which was against 18 year olds. He'd also guided us to an improbable promotion on naff all money 18 months before, but the time was right.

We all know what Askey is coming out with in his after match chat.  Oh well, it was hard to take - another goal in the last minute of injury time.  We will pick them up for the next match.  

What he really means is.  I have not got a clue on tactics, subs and the players wonder what subs I will bring on at the later stages of the match.

Please prove us all wrong, I used to think you could do it at Vale Park.  Know I am wondering if your tactics are not working anymore as teams playing against Vale know you will only play 1 up front.  We just need to mark them out of the game.  You use the subs late in to the game normally, where they can't really change the game, as there is only 15 minutes left to play.

I can only see more and more people calling for your head, as we are bound to carry on this bad run and just be a middle of the league club.

Archived