onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Askey seems insistent that we're playing well and are just being unlucky. I think that's fair defensively (two wonder goals in two games, but we've been lucky in previously with Brown being on fire), but going forward I think we're getting what we deserve; very little.

He mentions in his press conference that we moved the ball well, which we did until the final third of the pitch. After that, we saw overhit crosses, poor final passes, and a safety first mentality of returning the ball backwards, yielding a semi circle of un-penetrative recycling which looks lovely but achieves very little if you need a goal.

The 'eye test' of Vale being an average attacking side is backed up by the data analysis, which has us pegged as the 16th best side for creating chances in League 2. Scott Brown performing heroics from close range has kept our goals conceded rate down, but that is now coming back to bite us as two wonder goals do us in. Good teams create good chances, and let the whimsical nature of luck sort out the rest. We, in my view, haven't done that enough.

This team needs to start creating more open play chances, ASAP. In my view a midfield of Manny and Conlon, with McKirdy right off the striker, is the way to go. Robinson is the best player for link up play, but if he starts then Amoo/Worrall/McKirdy need to get beyond him often and regularly. 

This is a game in which there will be space to get in behind on the break, and they love to pass the ball out (employing a midfielder in a 3 man back line), so lots of opportunities for our very decent press. Therefore, we're probably more suited to tomorrow's game than we are to a low-block side ala Scunthorpe and Morecambe.

However, based on Askey's comments, he seems satisfied with a 433 with a 6 and two 8s in the middle. We'll probably see the same side as Tuesday + Monty for Crookes and Pope for Cullen.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Askey seems insistent that we're playing well and are just being unlucky. I think that's fair defensively (two wonder goals in two games, but we've been lucky in previously with Brown being on fire), but going forward I think we're getting what we deserve; very little.

He mentions in his press conference that we moved the ball well, which we did until the final third of the pitch. After that, we saw overhit crosses, poor final passes, and a safety first mentality of returning the ball backwards, yielding a semi circle of un-penetrative recycling which looks lovely but achieves very little if you need a goal.

The 'eye test' of Vale being an average attacking side is backed up by the data analysis, which has us pegged as the 16th best side for creating chances in League 2. Scott Brown performing heroics from close range has kept our goals conceded rate down, but that is now coming back to bite us as two wonder goals do us in. Good teams create good chances, and let the whimsical nature of luck sort out the rest. We, in my view, haven't done that enough.

This team needs to start creating more open play chances, ASAP. In my view a midfield of Manny and Conlon, with McKirdy right off the striker, is the way to go. Robinson is the best player for link up play, but if he starts then Amoo/Worrall/McKirdy need to get beyond him often and regularly. 

This is a game in which there will be space to get in behind on the break, and they love to pass the ball out (employing a midfielder in a 3 man back line), so lots of opportunities for our very decent press. Therefore, we're probably more suited to tomorrow's game than we are to a low-block side ala Tranmere, Morecambe etc.

However, based on Askey's comments, he seems satisfied with a 433 with a 6 and two 8s in the middle. We'll probably see the same side as Tuesday + Monty for Crookes and Pope for Cullen.

Good stuff as always, Joe.

Interesting to see our PPDA against is the highest in the division at 11.95, but our other attacking metrics such as Xg, key passes, chances created do not follow. This shows what we can see - that Vale are neat and tidy in possession (and that teams either don't bother trying to get the ball off us until we get further down the pitch and/or teams are unable to get the ball off us if they try to press) but we come unstuck in the final third due to compactness of opposition and lack of creativity, or a bit of both.

Others have suggested it in this thread, but we need a different approach based on the opposition. It's not the case that we should 'let the opposition worry about us', rather that we find a plan to beat whoever we play depending on their strengths and weaknesses. This is where I worry about Askey in that he's often stubborn with team selection (stick to a winning team etc) or doesn't know how to change our approach in game through tactical tweaks or substitutions. 

Tomorrow will suit us more than recent home games and if we can execute a plan like we did at Exeter, then we may well come away with something. 

4 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

Good stuff as always, Joe.

Interesting to see our PPDA against is the highest in the division at 11.95, but our other attacking metrics such as Xg, key passes, chances created do not follow. This shows what we can see - that Vale are neat and tidy in possession (and that teams either don't bother trying to get the ball off us until we get further down the pitch and/or teams are unable to get the ball off us if they try to press) but we come unstuck in the final third due to compactness of opposition and lack of creativity, or a bit of both.

Others have suggested it in this thread, but we need a different approach based on the opposition. It's not the case that we should 'let the opposition worry about us', rather that we find a plan to beat whoever we play depending on their strengths and weaknesses. This is where I worry about Askey in that he's often stubborn with team selection (stick to a winning team etc) or doesn't know how to change our approach in game through tactical tweaks or substitutions. 

Tomorrow will suit us more than recent home games and if we can execute a plan like we did at Exeter, then we may well come away with something. 

Finally, someone who doesn't give me stick for mentioning stats.

Teams are making a conscious effort to sit deep and concede space, as any scout worth their salt can see we can't break a low block.

What's concerning me is Askey seems to be equating this with teams respecting us, us dominating games, and us playing well, when in my view teams are more than happy to allow us to live under the illusion of 'playing well' as we aimlessly knock the ball about.

Regardless of build up play, good teams create good quality chances and restrict the opponents to low quality chances. Looking at build up and not the chances at the end as an indicator of success is daft, and if that is Askey's view, we may be in a tad of bother.

A side note; Davids Worrall and Amoo are, according to some metrics, the 7th and 14th best players in the league for creating chances (impressive from Amoo after missing a few games).

Our wings are fine, good even. Centre of the pitch means sorting. Has to be McKirdy at 10 for me.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

A side note; Davids Worrall and Amoo are, according to some metrics, the 7th and 14th best players in the league for creating chances (impressive from Amoo after missing a few games).

Our wings are fine, good even. Centre of the pitch means sorting. Has to be McKirdy at 10 for me.

Who would you leave out ?

I have always thought that,with the players we have, if we could only play 12 in the team we would be better suited.

We're always a man short effectively in the final third because askey is welded to his ultra defensive midfield player. If manny replaced Joyce and was given complete licence to go forward as he likes, that may solve the problem

6 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Who would you leave out ?

I have always thought that,with the players we have, if we could only play 12 in the team we would be better suited.

Go 4231 with McKirdy in the 10 role, Manny and Conlon sitting. Monty back in at LB and Pope up front. (Although I would like to see Rodders given a proper go up through the middle.)

I think he'll stick to 433 though as Newport should come at us, and if done properly our high press could get us something. As long as Crookes isn't at left back I don't really mind.

Look forwards to the away games more than home as we seem to play better away ,is it our pitch sapping all the energy out the players ,or is it cause we ain't got the vocal people there the passionate support who are worth a win most games ,I'd say it was the latter . Anyway on to tomorrow where strangely I think we will win and win win well Here's my team . Brown Clark Smith Legge Montano Oyeleke Burgess Amoo Mckirdy Worrall Pope Out go Crookes ,Conlon who seems to have gone backwards and on tues offered zilch as he did v Tranmere second half in my opinion and Cullen who I rate but our style of play with the one forward against certain teams does not suit him Mckirdy in the hole with Pope holding it and Amoo and Worrall getting beyond him theres no need be static tom has enough ability put either through on goal . Let hope we score a one in a million goal UTV.

That's what I would go with, we cannot carry passengers we need a spark in the final third I think that Mckirdy can beat players so straight away that releases others, conlon just doesn't do it often enough for me and apart from Exeter away and first half v Tranmere has generally being putting in a 5 or a 6 performance weekly .

Well we need 7 or 8s today all round 

Archived