onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Dreams of Vale going there as joint leaders shattered during Newport`s International Break, will they be rested or as stale as our fire power? 100% home record 4 games 4 wins does not make for optimism at any time. McKirdy surely worthy of a start to bring a spark to lift our spirits? Any other shake-up or morale boost?  Will we have a surprise 0-0 to bring  back from Wales?

Advert

Probably win this knowing Vale!

They’ve had a great start all be it I believe mainly played bottom half sides and been beaten when facing anyone top half. Two of their four wins have come with the opponents down to 10 men for long periods too.

Apparently they are more of a football side than in the past which may also favour us, no breaking down to be done but playing our preferred game.

Tricky one, a point would be good, wouldn’t surprise if we did win given our record but probably due a point.

11 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Probably win this knowing Vale!

They’ve had a great start all be it I believe mainly played bottom half sides and been beaten when facing anyone top half. Two of their four wins have come with the opponents down to 10 men for long periods too.

Apparently they are more of a football side than in the past which may also favour us, no breaking down to be done but playing our preferred game.

Tricky one, a point would be good, wouldn’t surprise if we did win given our record but probably due a point.

No doubt they are  brimming with confidence, whereas we have taken a few knocks recently. can we raise our game as we have done against the better teams?

I am beginning to think, with the results and performances we've had this season, that we may be better off, given our squad, having 2 separate 11s, with one 11 being used for matches where the oppo are likely to play and be susceptible to the high press, and the other 11 for oppo like last night where they are likely to simply sit back and ask us to break them down. If it doesn't work, so be it, but at least we would have tried. My 11s would be:

For high press:

Brown
Mills
Legge
Smith
Fitzpatrick
Joyce
Conlon
Burgess
Worrall
Hurst
Pope/Robinson

This 11 should be defensively solid as is needed, whilst busy in the middle

For breaking down teams:

Brown
Gibbons/Clarke
Brisley
Smith
Montano
Manny
Conlon
Whitehead/burgess
Mckirdy/Hurst
Amoo
Cullen/rodney

This 11 would give licence to both fbs to play more as wide midfielders, and essentially a narrow front 3 (so 5 in the final third, with 3 just behind them). It would depend on one of the midfield 3 dropping in when required.

5 subs allowed from now so will we see some changes to our starting line up?

Or will we just try and change when all seems lost?

I think one of Conlon or Burgess could be sacrificed for a Mckirdy/type to be higher up the pitch, or even Conlon could move up higher (he has at times).

So a 4231, with the middle of the 3 floating, a number 10.

Whatever we do UTV.

43 minutes ago, ginginator said:

5 subs allowed from now so will we see some changes to our starting line up?

Or will we just try and change when all seems lost?

I think one of Conlon or Burgess could be sacrificed for a Mckirdy/type to be higher up the pitch, or even Conlon could move up higher (he has at times).

So a 4231, with the middle of the 3 floating, a number 10.

Whatever we do UTV.

That 4231 you propose worked really well last night.

A very different proposition to our home games. I think this will be the type of game which suits our managers preferred system so think we will be very competitive with every chance of getting a result.

If we score 1st then I think we can come away with some points, concede the 1st goal then I only see Newport winning.

I don’t think we should start with Monty in this game, I think we should put Mckirdy and fitz on the left, McKirdy can have license to do what he fancies with a more steady fullback behind him. 

Brown 

clark Legge smith fitz

Burgess manny conlon

worrall Pope Mckirdy 

I went to this away game last season and we were shocking. Only lost 1-0 but we had the bite of a chihuahua .

Seem to recall Worrall had a one on one and sort of scuffed it when it was 0-0.

Their best player was the left back.

Take a point 0-0, and these are also the late goal kings i believe.  3 of their 4 home wins with winning goals 88 minutes onwards.

Seeing as a mere mortal like myself knows this i hope JA and co do .

Archived