onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

11 hours ago, 1 said:

Exactly, and when you sign four strikers, quite an exciting group as well for L2, you expect the manager to be playing more than 1 at a time! That's the big sticking point I have when I think of Askey's tenure. We don't need to be so reserved, play some attacking football! But again, wouldn't get rid, he just needs to see sense! 

It doesn't matter if he plays 1 or all 4 when the players are putting in performances that are more often 6/10 rather than 8/10.  We know what the players from last season are capable of, but we seem to have 3 or 4 players below par in most games.

Advert

7 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Agreed. But I don't see anything changing too much. I don't believe Askey is capable of adapting or changes his ways. If we win a few games over the coming weeks I'll happily and even gladly hold my hands up and say my inkling was absolutely wrong and that I was talking <ovf censored>, as I've done before.

But I only see us making the same mistakes and putting in some inept performances as the season goes along under him. Some of the performances this season have been as bad as anything absolute dross like Aspin and Gannon served up. I don't think even in most of our wins this season we've played particularly well. We're just a very basic, boring side. A one trick pony.

To be honest Tyler I thought we'd played really well up until their goal, some lovely passing moves, am i mistaken?  Admittedly there was an air of inevitability about the performance after the goal, where we reverted to the team who just wants to pass it across the park from left to right.

21 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Agreed. But I don't see anything changing too much. I don't believe Askey is capable of adapting or changes his ways. If we win a few games over the coming weeks I'll happily and even gladly hold my hands up and say my inkling was absolutely wrong and that I was talking <ovf censored>, as I've done before.

But I only see us making the same mistakes and putting in some inept performances as the season goes along under him. Some of the performances this season have been as bad as anything absolute dross like Aspin and Gannon served up.

That’s fair enough then.

Don’t get me wrong, the past two weeks have been unacceptable. Just remember, bad spells happen and currently we are going through one. We are getting no luck. Nothing is falling for us.

I still have faith in Askey. Yes, I question him sometimes, his tactics are baffling from time to time. However, if he was perfect, he simply wouldn’t be here. We would be very, very silly to sack him now. 

I saw a post about people being okay with ‘mediocrity’. I’m not okay with ‘mediocrity’, but I’m looking at the bigger picture. We’ve had too many years of instability. Now we are stable, we have got fans who aren’t happy. The expectation of pre-season has caused a huge divide in our fan base, which is a shame. Keep a steady ship, keep building and maybe in a year or two, we might be in the place we all want to be. 

Just remember, we are in the middle of global pandemic. Football has never faced a challenge like this, nor have Vale. I’d say we are doing pretty well currently. 

Get behind the boys and the management, instead of knocking them because that certainly won’t help anything. 

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

That’s fair enough then.

Don’t get me wrong, the past two weeks have been unacceptable. Just remember, bad spells happen and currently we are going through one. We are getting no luck. Nothing is falling for us.

I still have faith in Askey. Yes, I question him sometimes, his tactics are baffling from time to time. However, if he was perfect, he simply wouldn’t be here. We would be very, very silly to sack him now. 

I saw a post about people being okay with ‘mediocrity’. I’m not okay with ‘mediocrity’, but I’m looking at the bigger picture. We’ve had too many years of instability. Now we are stable, we have got fans who aren’t happy. The expectation of pre-season has caused a huge divide in our fan base, which is a shame. Keep a steady ship, keep building and maybe in a year or two, we might be in the place we all want to be. 

Just remember, we are in the middle of global pandemic. Football has never faced a challenge like this, nor have Vale. I’d say we are doing pretty well currently. 

Get behind the boys and the management, instead of knocking them because that certainly won’t help anything. 

This is just a forum at the end of the day. I praise players massively when I feel I deserve it, and criticise when I also feel they deserve it, the manager included. Even if any of the players browse OVF I don't think they'll be losing sleep about opinions.

I can take losing games and inconsistency, goes hand in hand as a League Two club. What I can't take is this tippy tappy football that gets us absolutely nowhere against sides that sit in, and also the lack of belief the moment we go a goal down in games. The players of course take some responsibility, but obviously Askey does too. To not include Montano and McKirdy in the line up against a Scunthorpe team that were very much there for the taking and were always going to sit back was just mind boggling. I believe Askey's first thoughts are not to lose games much more than it is to win them, even at home against dire opposition.

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

Nope. You've invented that mate. Incredible.

I don't want to sack Askey.

See my above post replying to someone who described 'midtable consolidation' as a successful season. That's lacking ambition. We should be expecting to finish top 7 considering our budget and expectations of our Chairlady. Anything less and questions need to be asked.

Then thats fair enough me owd foof bucket,i do actually agree that we should expect top 7 especially after last season,although we did over achieve then imo.

Sadly though seasons dont always pan out how we would like but then i agree again questions would have to be asked,i do still think we will finish in the top 7 though(i think we are a couple of points better off now than the same stage last season)

9 hours ago, For Us All said:

Fact is we are 2 points better off after 12 games than we were last season.UTV

There's always a positive.

KTF

Loving the positivity.

But i do hate these stats thrown around. No two seasons are the same. Teams we may of taken points of last time will beat us this time.

Last season for example we had some tremendous away wins at Bradford, FGR and Northampton are 3 that spring to mind. Would i see those sort of results this season? Not a chance ( and yes before some nerd says it, i know Northampton are League one now ) .

All of the building blocks were in place, steady ship. For me anything less than 7th is failure. 3points off 3rd place, 3 points off 13th also. 

We have got to get back on tracks quickly and win 3 of the next 4 games.

Saturday will be a big gauge of where we are at .

I don,t hold out much hope for Saturday! But as Guitar Ray says to many players under performing , we need more players on 8 out of 10 at the mo most on 6 , just not good enough! We are a very average side but when the majority of player are at 8 out of 10 then we will be up there. 

On 18/11/2020 at 15:33, TJHValiant said:

Non league football is part time. We are in the lowest fully pro division. If non league was that bad how come we were beaten by King’s Lynn town, who regularly have been getting stuffed in their league.

One of game, underdogs, we have seen it so many times, not just Vale, plenty of league teams get beaten in the cup.

6 hours ago, bomber said:

I don,t hold out much hope for Saturday! But as Guitar Ray says to many players under performing , we need more players on 8 out of 10 at the mo most on 6 , just not good enough! We are a very average side but when the majority of player are at 8 out of 10 then we will be up there. 

We're not a very average side. We're only a very average side because of one man, and that's the manager. Pretty much everyone here was in agreement before a ball was kicked this season that our first 11 was great and we had a better/stronger looking squad than we did last season. And so did plenty of other fans of other clubs in League Two who tipped us to do well. That might still happen come the end of the season. But to lose 5 of the 12 games we've played in the league so far along with being knocked out the FA Cup is pretty poor, regardless of how people try to dress it up. We should not be a win a couple lose a couple type of team with the players Askey has available.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

We're not a very average side. We're only a very average side because of one man, and that's the manager. Pretty much everyone here was in agreement before a ball was kicked this season that our first 11 was great and we had a better/stronger looking squad than we did last season. And so did plenty of other fans of other clubs in League Two who tipped us to do well. That might still happen come the end of the season. But to lose 5 of the 12 games we've played in the league so far along with being knocked out the FA Cup is pretty poor, regardless of how people try to dress it up. We should not be a win a couple lose a couple type of team with the players Askey has available.

Thats a matter of opinion I think is more down to the players! However do the players really think that they can get away with half hearted performances when the crowds are back! No matter what if they give 100% then they will get the support of the majority of Vale fans. Not having a settled side is also not helping. I am not sure at this point getting rid of JA is the best answer, plus once you start changing managers there are no guarantees on what you get.  

Archived