onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

4 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

The team that Askey has put together is a world away from what we had under Brown, Ribiero and all. We just need to give them time. 

This is simply not true. Ribiero may have been poor, but we were a league 1 club and the standard of football was much better. For example, we defeated Millwall 3-1 at home and were as high as 4th. 

Brown although didn’t do much, still saw us only get relegated by 1 point. 

The only improvement that can be seen are our two Brown/Aspin league 2  seasons which were the worst in our entire 140 odd year history. 

If this team was in league 1, I doubt we’d yet to have got a point. Askey has steadied the ship but he has not got it heading for treasure island just yet. 

Advert

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

See Chopper Harris' post. He says exactly that. You're looking daft here.

You are dead right I said it. How many seasons did Klopp get at Liverpool to get it right and turn the team  into a league winning team. It can take a while to build a decent promotion winning or league winning team. Chopping and changing the manager hasn’t exactly worked out for us recently and all I am saying is that we need some stability and to give the manager time. If that means a mid table finish this season then so be it. I am not being negative just realistic. 

12 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

You say the playoffs is an absolute minimum.......how many times have we been in the playoffs since 1993? 

From 1994-2000 we were a second tier club (promoted in 94). I don’t think anyone would expect Championship playoffs. 

Then from 2000 to 2008 were were a league 1 club with 1 season close to playoffs. 

Then we had the grim old poor management era but two Aspin seasons aside we were always very competitive in the 4th tier. 

Playoffs are essential and are an expectation. I thought our motto was “want, need, expect”.... not put up with rubbish because the manager did well when we had a dreadful chairman 2 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

This is simply not true. Ribiero may have been poor, but we were a league 1 club and the standard of football was much better. For example, we defeated Millwall 3-1 at home and were as high as 4th. 

Brown although didn’t do much, still saw us only get relegated by 1 point. 

The only improvement that can be seen are our two Brown/Aspin league 2  seasons which were the worst in our entire 140 odd year history. 

If this team was in league 1, I doubt we’d yet to have got a point. Askey has steadied the ship but he has not got it heading for treasure island just yet. 

We started well but under Ribiero we plummeted down the league and never recovered. 

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

With any kind of decent owner/manager we would not have been relegated. And that is why we are where we are now.

Indeed and we do have a decent owner now. So much so, we shouldn’t be watching disjointed, poor football. 

We also shouldn’t be remaining where we are if things have improved. Which we will watching the current standard of our play. 

The early performances and goals that we were scoring under Bruno were some of the best for many a year,  but a combination of fair weather players, getting sussed out and Brunos tactical inability to react and change meant that the exciting start quickly fizzled out to disaster.

10 hours ago, TylerB said:

This could have been a copy and paste quote from what a couple of numpties were spouting here about Neil Aspin for months.

Keep the faith. We need to be together. Doing our bit as fans... Jesus Christ. Are you hoping for a Nobel Peace prize or something? You'll no doubt be spouting the game nonsense in 10 games time if absolutely nothing has changed.

Possibly, the thing that is a cut and paste special,  is your usual teenage dramatic rubbish.  You've managed to produce 6k posts of it.

49 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

Yeh I agree but  I would argue the team Ribiero inherited (which he got rid of) and his starting point was better than the team Askey inherited.  

That’s a very interesting debate on its own. I always believed from the press at the time Bruno was part of a plan bought by Smurfwaite that was to deliberately dismantle our solid league 1 size under Page. 

Bruno didn’t inherit that team, he was given a brief to bring in his own seemingly chosen from an agents catalogue. The big debate is who was responsible for bringing in that odd collection of players. Most believe it was Smurfwaite getting conned by agents, with Bruno part of that package with the “Mourinho phone call” buying into this con. 

From what we know now it seems it was a scheme Smurfwaite was largely responsible for. Bruno was really just a patsy who would have taken the Vale job under any circumstances as he wanted a chance in the English leagues. 

When Bruno came in, the good players had mostly gone and left. They were disgusted at the dreadful deals Smurfwaite had offered at the end of the year, he had no choice but to start from scratch. 

Today, in November 2020, Askey has had the benefit of stable ownership that offered fair contract offers and a United fan base. He has been in post 2 years in February. 

He earned the job and the sack today would be very premature. However I believe from what I have seen, things need to change. 

I have massive faith in the squad and players. I think we have some great guys who would easily do well in a league 1 team. I actually think the depth in quality is better than our promotion team. 

My faith in the squad does not extend to Askey. It is being underutilized and is underperforming. 

3 hours ago, Pheonix Vale said:

Last 3 matches
Some of the Match Stats
------------------------------
                           Vale 0   Scunthorpe 1
Possession             69%         31%     
Shots                       14               2
Shots on Target        2               1
------------------------------------------------------
                            Vale 3    Tranmere 4
Possession             32%          68%
Shots                          8             15
Shots on Target        4               6
        FA Cup       Vale 0     Kings Lynn Town 1  
Possession              -              -   not available
Shots                       17             3
Shots on Target      11              1
        Something Needs Sorting ?

The worrying thing is that even though we scored on Saturday from 3 set pieces that we didn’t really create much else aside from that. The same goes for last night in that we created nothing clear cut. 

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

So for you it's fine that we're putting in some turgid performances at Vale Park, and losing to the likes of Kings Lynn and Scunthorpe at home?

Thank God I'm not in the same reality as yourself.

Never said that.

Those two defeats will happen from time to time. 

The season is played over the course of 8/9 months, not two weeks.

3 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Never said that.

Those two defeats will happen from time to time. 

The season is played over the course of 8/9 months, not two weeks.

Agreed. But I don't see anything changing too much. I don't believe Askey is capable of adapting or changes his ways. If we win a few games over the coming weeks I'll happily and even gladly hold my hands up and say my inkling was absolutely wrong and that I was talking <ovf censored>, as I've done before.

But I only see us making the same mistakes and putting in some inept performances as the season goes along under him. Some of the performances this season have been as bad as anything absolute dross like Aspin and Gannon served up. I don't think even in most of our wins this season we've played particularly well. We're just a very basic, boring side. A one trick pony.

Archived