onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

Two bad league results at this stage of the season is demoralising for us fans but promotion is never gained after just 12 matches.  Prefer to have a wobble now and keep in the chasing pack till the turn of the year, as previously stated our solid squad will come into play more in the latter end of the season where others may fade. We have good players and a stronger squad than last year, slip up now and have a strong run in, we will be there or thereabouts.

Advert

3 hours ago, 1 said:

Exactly, and when you sign four strikers, quite an exciting group as well for L2, you expect the manager to be playing more than 1 at a time! That's the big sticking point I have when I think of Askey's tenure. We don't need to be so reserved, play some attacking football! But again, wouldn't get rid, he just needs to see sense! 

Others have already made this observation but one way of doing this without going to 442 would be to play 352. No system is perfect and it would bring its own challenges but, particularly at home, it would enable us to apply the kind of pressure that seems too difficult for us playing 433. With very few goals in midfield, we need desperately to find an effective way of pressurising packed defences. Nothing else seems to have worked so far, so time for a change. 

1 minute ago, CambridgeDon said:

Others have already made this observation but one way of doing this without going to 442 would be to play 352. No system is perfect and it would bring its own challenges but, particularly at home, it would enable us to apply the kind of pressure that seems too difficult for us playing 433. With very few goals in midfield, we need desperately to find an effective way of pressurising packed defences. Nothing else seems to have worked so far, so time for a change. 

Monty as a full back, even in 433, pushes forward. He plays a pass and continues to run past for the return ball. This is something that our midfield does not do. They are very static and this is the problem. We need full backs, midfield and win gers to be far more attack minded

Monty as a full back, even in 433, pushes forward. He plays a pass and continues to run past for the return ball. This is something that our midfield does not do. They are very static and this is the problem. We need full backs, midfield and win gers to be far more attack minded

Monty and mckirdy certainly improved things when they came on. Pushed us higher up the pitch.

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

Fantastically put! 

Some people need a reality check. 

So for you it's fine that we're putting in some turgid performances at Vale Park, and losing to the likes of Kings Lynn and Scunthorpe at home?

Thank God I'm not in the same reality as yourself.

1 hour ago, sheffieldclayhead said:

Two bad league results at this stage of the season is demoralising for us fans but promotion is never gained after just 12 matches.  Prefer to have a wobble now and keep in the chasing pack till the turn of the year, as previously stated our solid squad will come into play more in the latter end of the season where others may fade. We have good players and a stronger squad than last year, slip up now and have a strong run in, we will be there or thereabouts.

Good players and a stronger squad mean nothing if the manager isn't getting the best out of them. We've lost 5 out of the last 10 league games. That's an absolute joke considering the squad we have. We've also been eliminated from the first round of the FA Cup. But it's alright. We did well last season, and at least we put a few goals past the Liverpool under 12 side a few weeks ago.

17 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Adam Yates actually made a good point on the Ale and the Vale podcast. Out of the 4 strikers we have on our books, only one has the potential to play in the lone striker role, and he is still raw and not ready.

Cullen showed tonight he does not have the physical presence, isn’t quick enough, and missed a sitter.

Pope, holds the ball up well, a threat in the air, but can’t run the channels, so makes us one dimensional and predictable. 

Robinson looks a waste of a signing, and 4th choice. 

A lot of people said we didn’t have enough goals in this side, and that is looking a solid prediction. Utterly pissed off. 

Play 2 of them , playing 1 isnt getting enough goals or chances.

No goals at home to Harrogate, Kings Lynn or Scunthorpe.

So clear to everyone at this point that Askey has no idea on how to setup a team or change tactics within a game to enable us to break down these types of sides. If you're an opposition team, just sit very deep, pack the centre of the park and watch us pass it sideways and long for 90 minutes. 

We've got plenty of creativity in the squad - Amoo, Worrall, McKirdy, Hurst, Rodney, Montano, Conlon, Oyeleke - but no idea on the best combination to unlock the opposition. 

16 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

If you pick your strongest eleven out of our squad. Play the every game !!

What would you honestly give them for a goals tally based on what you have seen and previous seasons in their career.

Will be interesting and i will bet it doesnt give us enough for promotion

I checked on what got you automatically promoted the last full season we had. The lowest number of goals scored  in the automatic promotion spots was 76 goals. Where are they coming from ?

I find myself commenting about this every week. It's driving me insane.

The players look like they've been told to not take a shot on. We so very rarely hit it first time. Conlon's effort over the bar early in the second half last night was basically the only time we had a pop.

We seem to have this doctrine, this SOP, of trying to walk it in. There is ALWAYS an extra pass. They are ALWAYS trying to flick it on, or in, or through. Players get in good positions but for some reason are conditioned not to have a shot, instead they will play a scared square ball and turn it over, or run into three defenders facing them and turn it over.

No fker takes a shot on with another lurking for the rebound. There is some kind of pathological obsession with handing the responsibility to someone else and inevitably turning over possession. 

IT DOESN'T WORK.

I would go and watch 10 games back and produce a 120 minute compilation of us doing it but I'd get too angry with Askey. 

5 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am tired of this "poor league" nonsense. We are in the fourth tier of the English football system. There are only three better leagues in the country. Or are they all poor as well? I spend some time watching non league football and it isn't as good as league 2. 

Non league football is part time. We are in the lowest fully pro division. If non league was that bad how come we were beaten by King’s Lynn town, who regularly have been getting stuffed in their league.

We are not scoring enough goals . Askey sticks with 4 3 3 and we continue to not score enough goals. 

I dont believe changes in personnel is enough or an instant fix, the formation needs looking at. Its got to be 2 up front for me . We no longer have a 20/30 goal a season striker which is essential if you play a lone striker. Equally cannot see Worrall/Amoo scoring 10/12 goals each. We do however  have 4 strikers in Pope, Cullen , Theo and Rodney.

As an example last season Theo I think scored 14 goals approx  for Cambridge, which was a good tally for him. Assume he played all games this season would expect him to give us a similar tally. Think that tally would apply if we just play a lone striker,  need another striker alongside to chip in a similar total. 

Only a fool carries on doing the same thing and expects a different result. Askey isn't a fool  but he would be foolish not to make changes.

We all know who are most creative players are. Admittedly, we don't have many. But why doesn't Askey? At the moment nobody knows who our best forward is if we're only playing one up top. It certainly isn't Cullen, that's for sure. I think he would be useful in a two, but as a lone striker he's not strong, he's not quick, and he would only win headers if we were playing against 11 dwarves. Rodney is too raw in an ideal world right now, but it's not an ideal world. Then there's Pope, an excellent player still in many aspects of the game but has all the movement of a garden gnome, and Robinson, who didn't pull up any trees for us a few years back and hasn't pulled up any yet this time around. So with all that in mind, it's important that we have a threat from other areas and we create as many chances as possible. That's why for me, McKirdy has to be in the side when fit and available. I don't care if you have to move Worrall to midfield or drop his arse to the bench. He doesn't do enough, often enough, out wide. And I hope he's in his backyard whenever he's at home practicing his corners and crossing because 9 times out of 10 they are woeful, and whatever he's doing on the training pitch doesn't seem to be helping! If Askey won't budge from the 4-3-3 he cherishes;

Brown

Clark

Smith

Brisley

Montano

Joyce (when back - even though it's his fault we're not 3 points better off this season)

Oyeleke

Worrall

McKirdy

Amoo

Rodney

Legge needs one or two games off as he's been nowhere near his commanding best lately, and it's unfair on Brisley to judge him on the odd game here and there. Montano at left-back in certain games and Fitzpatrick in others. Use Worrall as an attack minded midfield where he can do what he does best which is buzz about, and get his arse in the box. Make him understand that if he goes near a set-piece again he will be fined his weekly wages. Rodney up top in the hope that a run of games will see him improve the basics and be a little bit less hit and miss.

Conlon I quite like but apart from a free-kick this season the truth is he's done next to nothing. Slows the game down far too much and seems to like dropping so deep I question why he didn't just become a keeper instead. Burgess isn't really the answer either, not as a starter every week.

Archived