onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

31 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am tired of this "poor league" nonsense. We are in the fourth tier of the English football system. There are only three better leagues in the country. Or are they all poor as well? I spend some time watching non league football and it isn't as good as league 2. 

Standard of football this season in league 2 has been dire. The worse it’s been since we were relegated

Advert

48 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Intelligent post and have to agree;

if I was a Scunthorpe fan even after that win, I’d rather have our squad than theirs. And our league position and points tally.

I don’t often post, but the same negative posters spoil what is a positive vibe around the club currently. I’d imagine they aren’t much fun at a party.!

Saturday will be tough but then the Stevenage game will be another chance to see if we can have a plan B to break down an awkward awful side.

Really don’t like posts like this. 

Your  3rd paragraph.  Negative posters spoil the positive atmosphere. No. Firstly everyone can have an opinion, positive or negative. Secondly the players and performances are ruining this positive atmosphere it’s got nothing to do with fans discussing the team on a forum. 

1 hour ago, dazzerjames said:

Neil aspin never got us to the edge of the playoffs and at no point do I remember ever us being a favourite going into home games.

We have a new problem of teams parking the bus. I take that as a compliment to how we have improved.

Coming up with a plan to break teams down is the hard part.

We need to give them until Christmas at least. Whilst we are still picking up the points against the more fancied sides , we will remain in the mix as everyone is beating everyone.

I don’t see what a new manager could do with the same group of players. Work rate has never been an issue with an Askey side.

I just don't see things suddenly changing. Yes, we might go on a run for a few games - The quality of the league is pretty pathetic and if teams are missing just one or two players it can make a huge difference. I'll give Askey credit all day long for steadying the ship, and the run we went on when Jake Taylor hit a purple patch (he's done nothing this season for his new club as of yet) which got us right up there amongst it at the end of the season. But I see a team now that's completely devoid of imagination and creativity. We're very much a side that echoes John Askey as a person, at least how he comes across on camera - As dull as dishwater. I just want the side to be let of the leash a little bit and worry less about what other sides can do and more about what we should be capable of. The likes of Worrall, Amoo and Pope, these sort of players most sides in League Two would love to have.

I don't think we'll get anything on Saturday but do expect us to give a decent account for ourselves. Newport will be after us and attack us and that's where we usually create a few things. But after that it will be back to the same old crap that we're slowly becoming accustomed to this season. It will be the exact same formation with the same tactics, and the players passing the ball to each other from 5 yards away continuously looking largely clueless and devoid of a bit of fire in their bellies. And one of the Chuckle brothers, be it the manager or his mate, will come out after the game saying the same words and phrases they use time and time again.

Really don’t like posts like this. 
Your  3rd paragraph.  Negative posters spoil the positive atmosphere. No. Firstly everyone can have an opinion, positive or negative. Secondly the players and performances are ruining this positive atmosphere it’s got nothing to do with fans discussing the team on a forum. 

There is a difference between having an opinion and just insulting anyone who wants to support and be positive . I’m not sure who you are or what you post , but some of the posts after the last few matches have turned to personal insults about fans and staff. It’s uncalled for and not good form.

Just now, dazzerjames said:

There is a difference between having an opinion and just insulting anyone who wants to support and be positive . I’m not sure who you are or what you post , but some of the posts after the last few matches have turned to personal insults about fans and staff. It’s uncalled for and not good form.

It’s a forum on the internet where people say things. That’s not making a negative atmosphere. Poor performances are. Personal insults yeah too far. Not sure I’ve seen any aimed at fans though? 

42 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am tired of this "poor league" nonsense. We are in the fourth tier of the English football system. There are only three better leagues in the country. Or are they all poor as well? I spend some time watching non league football and it isn't as good as league 2. 

Behave. The quality is shocking. A lot of players in League Two are almost stealing a living. So many players in League Two are professionals just because they can either run all day because they are their local version of Forrest Gump, or they're unit's and eat haggis for breakfast.

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

Behave. The quality is shocking. A lot of players in League Two are almost stealing a living. So many players in League Two are professionals just because they can either run all day because they are their local version of Forrest Gump, or they're unit's and eat haggis for breakfast.

I know you’re pissed off that we lost , but If you knew what goes into becoming and then making a career as a professional footballer then that comment is doing every single one of them a disservice. 

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I know you’re pissed off that we lost , but If you knew what goes into becoming and then making a career as a professional footballer then that comment is doing every single one of them a disservice. 

I know a lot of hard work and sometimes sacrifices go into it, and fair play to each and every one of them. But that still doesn't mean that a lot of them have genuine quality. Some of the ball control, passing and crossing you would shake your head at down your local park. Look at everybody's favourite runner Worrall last night - Genuinely looked like someone had took him out of his shift at his local Co-op and forced him to play. Hopeless.

It’s a forum on the internet where people say things. That’s not making a negative atmosphere. Poor performances are. Personal insults yeah too far. Not sure I’ve seen any aimed at fans though? 

I will debate tactics all day and debate a performance. But fans being called numpties etc for supporting a team that’s not what a forum is really for.

I asked the question who to replace Askey ? Kind of fell on deaf ears apart from Alexander who probably wouldn’t touch the Vale after the wage and budget he’s just been on.

I’d rather see Askey make better use what we have got, have a plan B for games like last night.

With regards to the squad, Whitehead albeit quite poor is an improvement over say Lloyd. We now have cover in both full back positions. We have options up top (just need to pigging use them! )

Come January when teams have 4-5 players out through Covid isolation and general injuries, you will see that depth come into play I feel.

Pope hatrick Saturday and we can all be friends again and the match thread will be about 4 pages .....

7 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

I will debate tactics all day and debate a performance. But fans being called numpties etc for supporting a team that’s not what a forum is really for.

I asked the question who to replace Askey ? Kind of fell on deaf ears apart from Alexander who probably wouldn’t touch the Vale after the wage and budget he’s just been on.

I’d rather see Askey make better use what we have got, have a plan B for games like last night.

With regards to the squad, Whitehead albeit quite poor is an improvement over say Lloyd. We now have cover in both full back positions. We have options up top (just need to pigging use them! )

Come January when teams have 4-5 players out through Covid isolation and general injuries, you will see that depth come into play I feel.

Pope hatrick Saturday and we can all be friends again and the match thread will be about 4 pages .....

Re manager. Not sure, not really for us to have to know the replacement though - I remember people saying the same when aspin was in charge. Too early for that anyway. 

Issue there is whitehead plays in a different role to Lloyd. If you look at who he has replaced, it’s taylor. So we’re much weaker in midfield. Full back I agree, we did have that cover last season in Evans but Fitzpatrick looks a better player than him  

Agree hopefully that helps us in the long run. We do have options up top. Pope is good enough as I still think Cullen is. Did well for us last season but we just don’t play to his strengths. Rodney has potential but is raw. Robinson for me isn’t good enough but if picked like the others needs more support at times. 

Pope will start Saturday let’s hope he has a good day as you say. 

Another issue for me at the minute is that askey seems to swap the striker every game. Yet the majority of times our lack of scoring has been more down to creativity, but rarely changes the midfield unless we have injuries / suspensions. Montano and mckirdy to start Saturday please John 

I know a lot of hard work and sometimes sacrifices go into it, and fair play to each and every one of them. But that still doesn't mean that a lot of them have genuine quality. Some of the ball control, passing and crossing you would shake your head at down your local park. Look at everybody's favourite runner Worrall last night - Genuinely looked like someone had took him out of his shift at his local Co-op and forced him to play. Hopeless.

Is this why there is never anyone on the till in the Norton co-op ! All makes sense now .. wozzer missing in action. He’s better when we can hit teams on the break. That was never going to happen last night.

43 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Is this why there is never anyone on the till in the Norton co-op ! All makes sense now .. wozzer missing in action. He’s better when we can hit teams on the break. That was never going to happen last night.

The Askey should be brave enough not to play him then if he's not going to offer anything against sides that sit behind the ball, which will be most teams at Vale Park. McKirdy should have started last night, that was pretty clear to most people that have a bit of brain matter inside their heads, and yet Askey went for the safe (crap) options. Scunthorpe knew exactly what they were coming up against and what they needed to do. Don't concede early, nick a goal (be it a mistake or a worldie) and then that's probably going to be the game won.

Funny thing is, Askey will do the exact same things again the next time we play at home. And then the home game after that. Rubbish.

Re manager. Not sure, not really for us to have to know the replacement though - I remember people saying the same when aspin was in charge. Too early for that anyway. 
Issue there is whitehead plays in a different role to Lloyd. If you look at who he has replaced, it’s taylor. So we’re much weaker in midfield. Full back I agree, we did have that cover last season in Evans but Fitzpatrick looks a better player than him  
Agree hopefully that helps us in the long run. We do have options up top. Pope is good enough as I still think Cullen is. Did well for us last season but we just don’t play to his strengths. Rodney has potential but is raw. Robinson for me isn’t good enough but if picked like the others needs more support at times. 
Pope will start Saturday let’s hope he has a good day as you say. 
Another issue for me at the minute is that askey seems to swap the striker every game. Yet the majority of times our lack of scoring has been more down to creativity, but rarely changes the midfield unless we have injuries / suspensions. Montano and mckirdy to start Saturday please John 

I was hoping we would have signed Taylor , I think the energy of him and Burgess was key to winning games like that one last night .

He might have just nicked us that goal.

I’d I think overall the squad is stronger.

I agree he doesn’t know what’s best up front and the continual rotation doesn’t do any favours to the team or player.

I’d like to see at least 2 of them on the pitch in games like last night. Although a change in system
Is then needed.

At least we have a style / pattern of play that the players can slot into , but sometimes we need to have a plan b / even c that seems to be lacking.

Wish we had gone all out defence after going 2-0 up for example . Sometimes hindsight is a wonderful thing.

My thoughts on last night ! They seemed to have more energy we were very slow and laboured going forward maybe because they always had eleven behind the ball. Our crossing and passing was dire no one ever attacked the back post countless times the ball flew past the back post with no one in sight. They had two chances and could have easily scored twice there goalie had nowt to do until the last minute scramble. Very disappointing if we were still playing we could not have scored. We are in a catch twenty situation constantly changing the squad is not the way out JA needs to get a grip quickly. 

Many people were talking about six points from the last two games I could not see it. After Kings Lynn I realised we still have a mental block and lack some steel and grit. I thought I was going to be wrong but as soon as Joyce was sent off I knew we would loose. Unless we can dig deep we are going to get a good spanking on Saturday too many players are not giving there all we are not good enough to carry passengers. We need to get back to basics and start to grind out some results. Very worried at the moment .

5 hours ago, Ron C said:

Silly comment about Askey.

Firstly, Surfwaite provided a bigger budget so cheap wasn't necessarily everything in this appointment.
Secondly, his rescue mission was superb.
Thirdly, despite the budget, we were the in-form team as the pandemic hit, heading towards the playoffs.
Fourthly, we are competitive this year with a solid squad.

There's lots of reasons for keeping the faith.

Some on here don't understand how difficult football is. There are 20 odd other teams in this division all thinking they have a divine right to win it, too. By laws of averages, we are not supposed to succeed. I think we have a much better chance than average. We need to be together as a club and includes doing our bit, too, as fans.

Fantastically put! 

Some people need a reality check. 

Archived