onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

Silly comment about Askey.

Firstly, Surfwaite provided a bigger budget so cheap wasn't necessarily everything in this appointment.
Secondly, his rescue mission was superb.
Thirdly, despite the budget, we were the in-form team as the pandemic hit, heading towards the playoffs.
Fourthly, we are competitive this year with a solid squad.

There's lots of reasons for keeping the faith.

Some on here don't understand how difficult football is. There are 20 odd other teams in this division all thinking they have a divine right to win it, too. By laws of averages, we are not supposed to succeed. I think we have a much better chance than average. We need to be together as a club and includes doing our bit, too, as fans.

This could have been a copy and paste quote from what a couple of numpties were spouting here about Neil Aspin for months.

Keep the faith. We need to be together. Doing our bit as fans... Jesus Christ. Are you hoping for a Nobel Peace prize or something? You'll no doubt be spouting the game nonsense in 10 games time if absolutely nothing has changed.

Advert

We have good enough players to be in the top 7 of a poor league, but as others have said we need to adapt our formation to suit who we are playing. There's no need to play 1 striker against toothless, low-down teams at home. I'm not just talking about last night, in general we give crappy teams much too much respect.

The back line has gone from brilliant to dire, something needs to change and that should really be resting a CH and bringing in Brisley. Resting not dropping. I hate to point a specific player but Crookes being given a second contract was amazing to me when it happened and now it looks like wasted money more and more each game.

Get Monty back at LB I implore you Askey!

I'm personally a fan of 442 but I know most will say it's out-dated.

Worrall and Amoo as straight up wingers with 2 of Pope/Rodney/Cullen up front and just have Conlon and Manny in the middle. Hopefully he won't hobble off before Joyce gets back, then we have Joyce if needed after suspension.

I think getting rid of Askey would be crazy. Overall he has been quite solid in my opinion.

Maybe when the intern the club were advertising to do tactical write ups for free on opposing teams starts our fortunes will turn round ...........................................................................................................................

We have good enough players to be in the top 7 of a poor league, but as others have said we need to adapt our formation to suit who we are playing. There's no need to play 1 striker against toothless, low-down teams at home. I'm not just talking about last night, in general we give crappy teams much too much respect.
The back line has gone from brilliant to dire, something needs to change and that should really be resting a CH and bringing in Brisley. Resting not dropping. I hate to point a specific player but Crookes being given a second contract was amazing to me when it happened and now it looks like wasted money more and more each game.
Get Monty back at LB I implore you Askey!
I'm personally a fan of 442 but I know most will say it's out-dated.
Worrall and Amoo as straight up wingers with 2 of Pope/Rodney/Cullen up front and just have Conlon and Manny in the middle. Hopefully he won't hobble off before Joyce gets back, then we have Joyce if needed after suspension.

Good post. What is particularly galling to us Valiants is that Division 2 this season is dire. It's there for any consistent, organised and motivated squad to take and gain promotion. Have Vale got those 3 qualities?

It’s not been one defeat has it. 

Where did I say it’s one defeat

I said after every defeat

It appears that after every loss there are 1 or 2 who continue to call out Askey, yes he’s the manager yes he should be held accountable,but which club has ever succeeded chopping and changing the manager mid season.

And this isn’t an ordinary season, clubs could be going under before it’s finished.

Some stability and a competitive squad is what is key and that’s absolutely what we have.

Last season we had some fringe players who were completely out of their depth , we have improved on that this year.

We have the same starting 11 as last year which people also keep criticising...why ? They got us to effectively the play offs last year.

I’m as frustrated as anyone at the recent results but let’s try and have some perspective.

10 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

On paper a much better squad, as most would have agreed at the start of the season.  But the fundamental problem of our lack of goals last season still remains.

Exactly, and when you sign four strikers, quite an exciting group as well for L2, you expect the manager to be playing more than 1 at a time! That's the big sticking point I have when I think of Askey's tenure. We don't need to be so reserved, play some attacking football! But again, wouldn't get rid, he just needs to see sense! 

This could have been a copy and paste quote from what a couple of numpties were spouting here about Neil Aspin for months.
Keep the faith. We need to be together. Doing our bit as fans... Jesus Christ. Are you hoping for a Nobel Peace prize or something? You'll no doubt be spouting the game nonsense in 10 games time if absolutely nothing has changed.

Neil aspin never got us to the edge of the playoffs and at no point do I remember ever us being a favourite going into home games.

We have a new problem of teams parking the bus. I take that as a compliment to how we have improved.

Coming up with a plan to break teams down is the hard part.

We need to give them until Christmas at least. Whilst we are still picking up the points against the more fancied sides , we will remain in the mix as everyone is beating everyone.

I don’t see what a new manager could do with the same group of players. Work rate has never been an issue with an Askey side.

We were a surprise team last season - we would have been promoted if the season had not been (wrongly) stopped early.

This season we are struggling as our game plan has been exposed, people have wised on. It is obviously disappointing not to be winning these games but if we make 7th on the last game of the season on goals scored - JA has done a fantastic job.

If we don't make the playoffs at the end of the season, perhaps hes not the man to lead us next season but until that isn't possible he has my backing.

Chopping and changing managers regularly rarely ends well. Managers need time to get it right. Slow but sure progress is all I ask for, and I do think that's what we're getting. Unless a manager has clearly lost the dressing room which JA hasn't, stick with him. I hate to say it but look at Crewe. They stuck with Artell through the poor times and have come out of it much stronger. Same with John rudge, and look how that went for us. I think the vast majority of vale fans are behind the manager and the team. Just because it looks on here that the majority want him out doesn't mean that's the case. Social media gives people an anonymous platform to rant and say things they wouldn't dare say in person. The majority of vale fans don't use this site, and the ones that do and post immediately after games are largely the negative ones. It's a bit like Twitter. When there's 'outrage' on twitter, the media report it as though that's the majority view, when a tiny percentage of the world's population actually use it.

I think Gibbons is our biggest miss at the moment

With him at right back and Clark at left back it gives us 2 good defenders but still with the ability to get forward to support the wingers on their respective sides

Crooks can’t do that and Monty for me is still risky as a left back ( although entertaining)

Chopping and changing managers regularly rarely ends well. Managers need time to get it right. Slow but sure progress is all I ask for, and I do think that's what we're getting. Unless a manager has clearly lost the dressing room which JA hasn't, stick with him. I hate to say it but look at Crewe. They stuck with Artell through the poor times and have come out of it much stronger. Same with John rudge, and look how that went for us. I think the vast majority of vale fans are behind the manager and the team. Just because it looks on here that the majority want him out doesn't mean that's the case. Social media gives people an anonymous platform to rant and say things they wouldn't dare say in person. The majority of vale fans don't use this site, and the ones that do and post immediately after games are largely the negative ones. It's a bit like Twitter. When there's 'outrage' on twitter, the media report it as though that's the majority view, when a tiny percentage of the world's population actually use it.

Intelligent post and have to agree;

if I was a Scunthorpe fan even after that win, I’d rather have our squad than theirs. And our league position and points tally.

I don’t often post, but the same negative posters spoil what is a positive vibe around the club currently. I’d imagine they aren’t much fun at a party.!

Saturday will be tough but then the Stevenage game will be another chance to see if we can have a plan B to break down an awkward awful side.

34 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Where did I say it’s one defeat

I said after every defeat

It appears that after every loss there are 1 or 2 who continue to call out Askey, yes he’s the manager yes he should be held accountable,but which club has ever succeeded chopping and changing the manager mid season.

And this isn’t an ordinary season, clubs could be going under before it’s finished.

Some stability and a competitive squad is what is key and that’s absolutely what we have.

Last season we had some fringe players who were completely out of their depth , we have improved on that this year.

We have the same starting 11 as last year which people also keep criticising...why ? They got us to effectively the play offs last year.

I’m as frustrated as anyone at the recent results but let’s try and have some perspective.

I still think it’s early to be calling for his head but another couple of games like the last 3 and it’s just. 

Personally the fringe players last season are the same as this season. Players such as whitehead are not an improvement infact the opposite. 

Nearly the same starting 11 although missing who I thought was our best player in Taylor and not replacing him. Then another year in the legs of pope and legge I’d say we’re slightly weaker. 

Completely agree about the season, keeping the squad together and manager ect. However it’s just very difficult when the performances are so poor when this league is probably the weakest it’s been. I’m all for stability and think it’s key but we have to be doing so much more on the pitch. It’s not acceptable to keep accepting this dross year after year. So far we have had so many more real off days than last season. 

Infact I bet we’ve already lost more home games than last year. Put in the fact as you say some teams will go bump and haven’t signed anyone and have lost the majority of their squads - we should be doing much better. But imo as I said at the start of the season. I really don’t think we have signed well, other than Clarke and mkirdy (possibly) we’ve signed poor players again 

I think we need to put the run of results in context. Now is not the time for knee jerk reactions, panicking, slating players and calling for the manager to be sacked. 

True performances haven’t been fantastic and we look a side low on confidence but things can change in football very quickly. I trust the players and Askey over the season to get things right. If you want to support a football club that wins every week I suggest you start supporting Liverpool or Manchester City and not Port Vale. 

Compared to the utter dross of yesteryear we are a work in progress. I find it astonishing the lack of patience in some supporters. 

We are moving in the right direction under Askey and we are a lot more competitive than what we have had to endure recently. Let’s be-careful what we wish for as it is a very slippery slope to non league football and being another Notts County or Chesterfield. 

We are still in the hunt for the play offs if not automatic promotion. If we finish mid table at the end of the season and consolidate our position then that won’t be a bad season.  We can’t expect and demand success every season.......if that is what you want then as I said earlier go and support someone else. 

We are a work in progress and Port Vale FC is world away from the club it was a short time ago. 

Getting promoted isn’t easy........how many promotion seasons have we had in the last 2 decades? 

I am tired of this "poor league" nonsense. We are in the fourth tier of the English football system. There are only three better leagues in the country. Or are they all poor as well? I spend some time watching non league football and it isn't as good as league 2. 
So you feel this season this Division is of good standard? I disagree entirely with you. I know you are comparing this to Stafford Rangers standard so I agree we are better than that. However what is panning out so far is not of a quality of any sorts. So many "ordinary" teams are made to look better by opponents lack of skill, quality or tactics.

Archived