onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

5 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

We play one because Askey insists on playing a defensive midfielder to protect the back four. Without this i think all the criticism would be on the back four not being good enough

Why can't you play a defensive midfielder in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2? 

Advert

Askey signings
Summer 19
Maddison, Crookes, Kennedy, Brisley, Burgess, Lloyd, Evans, Hurst, Taylor, Amoo, Browne, Cullen, Bennett, Archer (only 7 still here)
Jan 20
Clark
Summer 20
Rodney, Mills, Whitehead, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Visser, McKirdy, Clark (Only Clark started tonight)

Absolutely hit the nail on the head. Of those signings Amoo is the only one that is probably guaranteed to start (Clarke i wouldn't count as he was signed by someone else initially and isn't out player)

What's really worrying is that some of these players have had good careers elsewhere. We have more coaches that we've ever had before and still we can't seem to get a song out of any striker that isn't a Vale fan!

Its not time to sack him. But hes got to change the approach. We need a plan b. We cant keep doing the exact same thing over and over. It isnt working and we have enough of squad, with different types of players to be able to change things and adapt. But at the moment we dont. We just keep ploughing away even when it's not working.

9 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Don’t think anyone is complaining we’re not top. It’s more the level of performance so far this season. There must be 5/6 truly dire displays so far this season most of them at home as well. I don’t want him gone yet but another 2/3 more games like tonight and it’s difficult to back him 

But an improved level of performance would have probably put us top. If we had improved in 5/6 games, we’d be top be a clear margin. It’s a long season. 
I’ll add, if we had won today, we would be on a higher points per game average than when we went up with Micky Adams.

8 minutes ago, MBE said:

Why can't you play a defensive midfielder in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2? 

Agree entirely. Joyce is a waste of a player for us. Most teams play without this holding defensive player. They play with two, of which either can go forward. What makes it worse for me is that the other two midfield men are not creative, threatening enough. Taylor was a lucky find for us last season.

I honestly believe Conlon should be looking at playing in the Joyce role. If he could do the covering role he would no doubt be capable of playing a forward ball to help create forward play.

Pre Season I was pleased we signed Robinson from Southend where he played 28 games for Colchester on loan and scored 11 goals making him the top scorer.

I was also pleased we signed McKirdy where I'm sure he finished top scorer for Carlisle.

So thats two forwards from clubs in our division who have a track record at scoring goals.

When was the last time we did that ?

Maybe we are looking in the wrong areas maybe it's midfield that aren't up to the job, how many times did we see a midfielder getting past Cullen, how many times do the full backs get to the bye line and cut the ball back giving a forward half a chance.

Askey now has to reset and work it out on the training ground, it's up to him to get a tune from the squad we have.

This season has to be put into perspective

With all the COVID stuff going on, personally it is a season that I am not so bothered about results

If we win great, if we lose it’s frustrating

But people have bigger issues this year than Vale results- so I won’t be getting too high or too low however we get on

Stay safe

I don’t think they are all poor signings, McKirdy, Robinson on paper are excellent signings, Rodney has three goals (more than most) and Fitzpatrick and Visser have looked good when called upon.

The club has expectation now and anything less than play offs is a huge failure; Askey can’t hide from that now.

Big worry is we’ve lost 4 times at home in 18 months... all the games where Joyce has missed (let’s be honest we lost it when he was sent off) that’s a worry, are we that reliant?

We can’t be the plucky side beating Exeter’s and Cheltenham’s and being content at that this season, we need to really be challenging and that means beating the dross that parks the bus too like Scunthorpe and Morecambe.

I’m very worried after tonight.

5 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Pre Season I was pleased we signed Robinson from Southend where he played 28 games for Colchester on loan and scored 11 goals making him the top scorer.

I was also pleased we signed McKirdy where I'm sure he finished top scorer for Carlisle.

So thats two forwards from clubs in our division who have a track record at scoring goals.

Maybe we are looking in the wrong areas maybe it's midfield that aren't up to the job, how many times did we see a midfielder getting past Cullen, how many times do the full backs get to the bye line and cut the ball back giving a forward half a chance.

Askey now has to reset and work it out on the training ground, it's up to him to get a tune from the squad we have.

I’m certain after tonight Cullen isn’t the answer as a lone striker. We either change formation or give Rodney 5 games in a row and see if he develops. 

6 minutes ago, blackdog said:

We have no midfielder capable of that. Taylor was a lucky find for us.

Only Montano is consistent to get up the pitch as a full back.

Add to that our wingers blow more cold than hot, whichever two that are picked

3 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I’m certain after tonight Cullen isn’t the answer as a lone striker. We either change formation or give Rodney 5 games in a row and see if he develops. 

The quality of service has to be far better when Cullen plays and too often we've lacked that quality.

Archived