onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

1 minute ago, blackdog said:

This probably wont go down with some on here, but sacking Askey at this stage of the season would be an overreaction, the reason would be based on the last 10 days of results.

Scunthorpe made no attempt whatsoever at coming out of their shell and a wonder strike won it for them, the number of times home teams far better than us have struggled to play against teams like that.

The time to judge is how we react to these recent setbacks, IF we are a good side we will bounce back, but a knee jerk reaction isn't helpful.

I agree with you over Askey. This season is very strange.

Disagree completely on the rest. Scunthorpe no different to any average team in this league who we beat easily. Its not the opposition its our own performances that matter and i dont believe Askey knows what he will get from whoever he picks, no matter how many changes he makes.

What a great balanced squad we have, eveyryone was happy but we have 4 wingers and all four are more likely to have a stinker than win us the game. 4 strikers and again all more than likely to fail before winning us a game. Pope is still the pick for me out of all of them but he does need competition and i dont believe we have much better.

If we are a good side we will bounce back you say. Well we aint bounced back this ;last week or so have we. So are we a good side or not.

Advert

11 minutes ago, blackdog said:

This probably wont go down with some on here, but sacking Askey at this stage of the season would be an overreaction, the reason would be based on the last 10 days of results.

Scunthorpe made no attempt whatsoever at coming out of their shell and a wonder strike won it for them, the number of times home teams far better than us have struggled to play against teams like that.

The time to judge is how we react to these recent setbacks, IF we are a good side we will bounce back, but a knee jerk reaction isn't helpful.

Don't disagree with everything, but 'no attempt at coming out of their shell' (or sitting deep) isn't some sort of tactical play predicated on fear/inability, but because it's the most effective way of beating us.

Since Askey arrived, we've struggled to beat teams who sit deep (usually nearer the bottom end of the table). Our chance creation is appalling.

Teams have sussed us. After the first 2 victories, we've lost 5 of 10, all in a similar pattern. Sit deep, contain, nick a goal, and let Vale pass it amongst themselves. Add in the Kings Lynn debacle.

We only lost 7 games all last season. To be on 5 already suggests teams have realised how we play, as it hasn't changed in personnel/tactics since the day Askey arrived (bar the bench looking better, which is pointless).

2 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I won’t slate him as he has done wonders for the club but i am starting to realise Askey is a great “underdog”

He is great managing us in games against the odds against the better sides and it shown last season... but we did struggle results and performance wise last season in game we expected to win.

Problem this season is we are expected to win more games than last season so!

Wouldn’t surprise me if we beat Newport but tonight and as with Morecambe and Harrogate we just don’t have the guidance to play teams that sit deep and defend.

Scunthorpe were like San Marino the way they set up, poor side but we’ve dominated from start to finish and barely tested the keeper.

To get promoted we might need a change and I say that with a heavy heart because he’s a good bloke and has given us some great memories.

That’s the concern, it was such a simple game plan.

Yet we failed to shut up shop on Saturday. How many think that if Scunny had had a man sent off we’d have got something??? No, me neither.

I'm not expecting much on Saturday and personally think Stevenage is a massive game for us. Lose that and questions have to be asked.

Hopefully this is a massive overreaction and askey turns it around. 

This season is a write off for me. No fans in stadiums , pathetic Streaming service in iFollow and dreadful performances. I'll probably give the match a miss on Saturday and spend my money on the online clubshop. A day out fishing with the radio on would be a stress reliever at this point. 

8 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I won’t slate him as he has done wonders for the club but i am starting to realise Askey is a great “underdog”

He is great managing us in games against the odds against the better sides and it shown last season... but we did struggle results and performance wise last season in game we expected to win.

Problem this season is we are expected to win more games than last season so!

Wouldn’t surprise me if we beat Newport but tonight and as with Morecambe and Harrogate we just don’t have the guidance to play teams that sit deep and defend.

Scunthorpe were like San Marino the way they set up, poor side but we’ve dominated from start to finish and barely tested the keeper.

To get promoted we might need a change and I say that with a heavy heart because he’s a good bloke and has given us some great memories.

We havent dominated from start to finish. We have had all the ball but you do not dominate a game when possession that you have is probably all in the middle part of the pitch. We never threatened them enough all game, like you say barely tested the keeper.

Not sure we should change Askey at this time. Its a strange season. I am sure we wont change Askey

11 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

In my opinion teams are now respecting us anD sitting in and letting us have the ball. It doesn’t take a genius to know that we don’t score a lot of goals and struggle to break teams down. Last season was a completely different story, we rose out of the blue after Christmas and a few months of good form shot us into play-off contenders. There is now expectation on everyone at the club to achieve promotion or a play off position. The impetus is on us to go out and win games or create something when needed, it doesn’t seem like we can do this at the minute.  

Another issue is the fact that we have four average strikers and none of them are yet to claim first choice. We can’t keep swapping the striker every four games or so and hope for the best. None of them stand out as first choice or someone who will fire us to promotion. I still feel like getting Nicky Maynard was our ticket to promotion. We brought in Robinson and Rodney to compete for first choice where as Maynard would have been a guaranteed starter and would have been given a run of games to get goals.

The season isn’t over yet though and I don’t think sacking Askey is the correct decision. We are clearly a better team than the majority of sides in this league, we have dominated more games this season than we have for many seasons now. The difference is scoring goals, if we can sort this out we will be fine.

Askey has too much choice.

11 minutes ago, TylerB said:

In 5 games time when we're about 13/14th and he's still picking a starting 11 few others would, playing the same formation and employing the same tactics, maybe, just maybe, you and a few others will start to see the light. 

We’ll see in 5 games time. But even then, I don’t think I’ll be calling for his head. 

Askey doesn't generally bring on subs until so late on in games because when he's making changes after 60 minutes or so, as he did tonight, it's as good as an admission that he got the starting 11 wrong. The truth is he has no idea who our best forward is. Has no idea what our best 11 is. Has no idea what our best formation is, so he just plays the same old formation every week while closing his eyes and hoping for the best, regardless of the opposition.

He and Dave Kevan are lovely blokes. Salt of the earth type people. But they are bloody boring.

Recruitment insufficient for a second successive summer.

The first 11 has not been improved much at all. 

Argument to be made that our best 11 contains 10 players that were here when Askey arrived. 

This is what will hold Askey back. I think he's a reasonable coach, who can organise a team and can get more out of players than they've previously shown, but his inability to scout/attract quality footballers will be his downfall.

Didn’t watch today, but appreciate it was dire.

From what I gather from reading this though is that it’s inexcusable that we have not won the last two games. And therefore askey should be sacked. But winning the last two games would have put us top of the league. Imagine what we would say about other teams fans if they called for their managers head for not being top of the league after 12 games. 

24 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't have gone. I was glad when all 3 went. What I'm saying is in 4 appointments we've only seen any real sustained improvement in one of them.

This season is different than any other because of the Covid situation and we have built a squad with the intention of coping with the injuries the schedule will create rather than improving the 1st team.

We may not get promoted this year. We will however stand a chance and come the end of the season we will be in a position where 1 or 2 signings to improve the 1st team rather than the squad (as we have done this year) could well be all it takes.

Football seems to be all about instant success at the moment rather than looking longer term.

This is a good point.  As it stands though the recruitment hasn't been good enough.  Non of the strikers look capeable of holding onto the shirt for more than a couple of games as the lone striker.  On the face of it we haven't recruited anyone who has really moved us on another notch.

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The fans want McKirdy and Monty to start.

They start on the bench.

Askey brings them on on 51 and 60 respectively.

Why didn't they start? Why didn't the come on at half time? Bloke doesn't make it easy at times.

Mckirdy is still to show us anything. Montano, against this team and formation , was a must to start. Askey failed big time for me. Far too negative. All this negativity and we have a team with no drive, no creativity and no goals. We need all the help we can to be positive and score goals.

2 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Didn’t watch today, but appreciate it was dire.

From what I gather from reading this though is that it’s inexcusable that we have not won the last two games. And therefore askey should be sacked. But winning the last two games would have put us top of the league. Imagine what we would say about other teams fans if they called for their managers head for not being top of the league after 12 games. 

Imagine losing to Kings Lynn and Scunthorpe. Scoring a grand total of zero goals. At Vale Park. Oh, hang on a minute...

7 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Adam Yates actually made a good point on the Ale and the Vale podcast. Out of the 4 strikers we have on our books, only one has the potential to play in the lone striker role, and he is still raw and not ready.

Cullen showed tonight he does not have the physical presence, isn’t quick enough, and missed a sitter.

Pope, holds the ball up well, a threat in the air, but can’t run the channels, so makes us one dimensional and predictable. 

Robinson looks a waste of a signing, and 4th choice. 

A lot of people said we didn’t have enough goals in this side, and that is looking a solid prediction. Utterly pissed off. 

I agree we don't have a striker ready to play on their own upfront, which begs the question why do we keep doing it? I just don't get it. We signed Robinson who is a 15-20 goals man playing in a front two and we have not given him a run of games to strike up a partnership. I find It bizarre. We need to find a system to play two upfront to give the strikers a chance or get rid of Robinson and Cullen in the transfer window.  Personally I would like to see us play 3-5-2 to utilise the skills of Monty and Clarke going forward with Wozza moving as the attacking midfielder. 

Archived