onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

6 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I don’t like reacting negatively about a Vale loss, but that was just totally unacceptable. Very one dimensional, too many sideways and backwards passes. Cullen was awful, absolutely awful. Crookes at LB? Why? He isn’t a LB. Why John, why? Back to the drawing board now. Give McKirdy a start, he’s looked lively again tonight. Bring Monty back in at LB. Give Legge a rest, he looks f*cked. I like Legge, but a change is needed. The only problem is, Brisley has looked sluggish and I’m not convinced by Crookes. 

Six points dropped over the past two games. We have shot ourselves in the foot. 

I like Askey, and I genuinely believe he can take us forward. But, it’s now time to reassess his options because we are looking short of any form of confidence and guile.

I’m still not having this ‘Askey out’ business. People are entitled to their opinions and I can see why people are frustrated. Just remember, we are 12 games in. Every season has its ups and downs. Last season was a prime example.  

A bit of luck would be nice. Nothing is dropping our way at the moment. 

Thanks Vale, that’s another night of mine you’ve ruined. The joys of being a football fan...

Short of confidence you say!!!  Goals make confidence. We dont make goals

Advert

So who would you replace Askey with ? Those wanting him out ? No fans in maybe until next season , no revenue . Who do you think we could bring in on a shoe string to improve things ?

We are 8th in the league having nearly had no football to watch due to

-going out of business
-global pandemic
-non league and probably going out of business.

Tonight was , Saturday was a freak game and the cup game, well numerous other league teams had the same happen.

Just enjoy the ride, we might win Saturday and all will be forgotten.
I've always liked John McGreal's Colchester sides.

Played good attacking football.

Not sure I want Askey out yet, but things need to improve and he needs to start learning from his mistakes rather than making them over and over.

8 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

How did Page out go?

How did Bruno out go?

How did Brown out go?

For the first time in 4 appointments we have improved when changing the manager. It may not be very entertaining at the moment but lets give him more than 12 games of slight regression before we make the same mistake.

They did badly because of Smurfwaite. Actually Brown out saw us do much better initially under Aspin. 

Why give him 20? 25? Season will be as good as over then to do anything. And at least two of those managers you mentioned probably should have gone sooner than they did. You'll be able to add Askey to that list down the line.
I'm not saying they shouldn't have gone. I was glad when all 3 went. What I'm saying is in 4 appointments we've only seen any real sustained improvement in one of them.

This season is different than any other because of the Covid situation and we have built a squad with the intention of coping with the injuries the schedule will create rather than improving the 1st team.

We may not get promoted this year. We will however stand a chance and come the end of the season we will be in a position where 1 or 2 signings to improve the 1st team rather than the squad (as we have done this year) could well be all it takes.

Football seems to be all about instant success at the moment rather than looking longer term.

This probably wont go down with some on here, but sacking Askey at this stage of the season would be an overreaction, the reason would be based on the last 10 days of results.

Scunthorpe made no attempt whatsoever at coming out of their shell and a wonder strike won it for them, the number of times home teams far better than us have struggled to play against teams like that.

The time to judge is how we react to these recent setbacks, IF we are a good side we will bounce back, but a knee jerk reaction isn't helpful.

Maybe we are all knee jerk straight after the abomination we have just watched. 

A few points though.

Lots of us me included were all crowing about our new found riches up front with a superb choice of 4 , that's going well.

We also,  me included were saying that we are lucky we have offered deals and kept the team together, whereas teams like Colchester lost 4 first team regulars and other teams are having upheaval. Again that's going well. 

Basically our expectations were maybe too high , we are now 3 shy of last season's total defeats from 37 games. 

8th in the table or not this is very concerning to me as we struggle once we go behind and have no idea what to do next. 

For all the Askey bum fluff lickers here. Hearing him roll out the same old tired waffle most weeks, would you leave that changing room motivated and/or inspired at all by him? Wanting to bust a gut for him? We have a good 11 if the right 11 is picked, and I still believe we have one of the better squads in the league on paper. Even most of our wins this seasons we've looked uninspired. I don't believe for a moment that most of the players want to really play for John Askey. It must be the equivalent of riding into battle with Dot Cotton at the front, leading the charge.

I won’t slate him as he has done wonders for the club but i am starting to realise Askey is a great “underdog”

He is great managing us in games against the odds against the better sides and it shown last season... but we did struggle results and performance wise last season in game we expected to win.

Problem this season is we are expected to win more games than last season so!

Wouldn’t surprise me if we beat Newport but tonight and as with Morecambe and Harrogate we just don’t have the guidance to play teams that sit deep and defend.

Scunthorpe were like San Marino the way they set up, poor side but we’ve dominated from start to finish and barely tested the keeper.

To get promoted we might need a change and I say that with a heavy heart because he’s a good bloke and has given us some great memories.

Just now, TylerB said:

For all the Askey bum fluff lickers here. Hearing him roll out the same old tired waffle most weeks, would you leave that changing room motivated and/or inspired at all by him? Wanting to bust a gut for him? We have a good 11 if the right 11 is picked, and I still believe we have one of the better squads in the league on paper. Even most of our wins this seasons we've looked uninspired. I don't believe for a moment that most of the players want to really play for John Askey. It must be the equivalent of riding into battle with Dot Cotton at the front, leading the charge.

A slight overreaction. 

We are 8th, a place outside of the playoffs. 

Your vendetta against Askey will not solve anything.

In my opinion teams are now respecting us anD sitting in and letting us have the ball. It doesn’t take a genius to know that we don’t score a lot of goals and struggle to break teams down. Last season was a completely different story, we rose out of the blue after Christmas and a few months of good form shot us into play-off contenders. There is now expectation on everyone at the club to achieve promotion or a play off position. The impetus is on us to go out and win games or create something when needed, it doesn’t seem like we can do this at the minute.  

Another issue is the fact that we have four average strikers and none of them are yet to claim first choice. We can’t keep swapping the striker every four games or so and hope for the best. None of them stand out as first choice or someone who will fire us to promotion. I still feel like getting Nicky Maynard was our ticket to promotion. We brought in Robinson and Rodney to compete for first choice where as Maynard would have been a guaranteed starter and would have been given a run of games to get goals.

The season isn’t over yet though and I don’t think sacking Askey is the correct decision. We are clearly a better team than the majority of sides in this league, we have dominated more games this season than we have for many seasons now. The difference is scoring goals, if we can sort this out we will be fine.

1 minute ago, Portvale4 said:

A slight overreaction. 

We are 8th, a place outside of the playoffs. 

Your vendetta against Askey will not solve anything.

In 5 games time when we're about 13/14th and he's still picking a starting 11 few others would, playing the same formation and employing the same tactics, maybe, just maybe, you and a few others will start to see the light. 

Adam Yates actually made a good point on the Ale and the Vale podcast. Out of the 4 strikers we have on our books, only one has the potential to play in the lone striker role, and he is still raw and not ready.

Cullen showed tonight he does not have the physical presence, isn’t quick enough, and missed a sitter.

Pope, holds the ball up well, a threat in the air, but can’t run the channels, so makes us one dimensional and predictable. 

Robinson looks a waste of a signing, and 4th choice. 

A lot of people said we didn’t have enough goals in this side, and that is looking a solid prediction. Utterly pissed off. 

Archived