onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF Announcement: reduction in adverts

robf

Hi all,

I hope you are all doing OK during lockdown.

I wanted to give you what will undoubtedly be welcome news on adverts on here...

First, some background... In March I was furloughed as the company I work for (who do equipment for live events) was in real trouble. As a result I popped a message on here to say I was increasing the adverts so that I could bring in an income from OVF (above and beyond the usual hosting costs) to cover my loss in wages. This has proved to be vital as unfortunately I was one of a number of staff to made redundant due to the company making no sales since March. This meant I was solely reliant on the OVF advert revenue for a time.

However, I am delighted on a personal note to say I am starting a new job on Monday. As a result, I no longer need the adverts on OVF to do anything more than help pay the hosting and software costs. 

I have now scaled back the adverts. Here's an overview...

What's gone:

1. The big background adverts (I think they are called "cover" adverts). Those were the ones that appeared at the top and on both sides of the website.

2. The "sticky" advert at the bottom 

3. The video one that appeared on the RH side

4. There are now fewer (two rather than four) adverts on forum threads

What remains:

1. There is an occasional betting ad which appears at the top. I am still under contract for a week or so for that one but once finished it will be removed too.

2. There are a few adverts in forum threads and in the sidebar - these are unobtrusive (i.e. they don't obscure any content) and they "pay the rent" (i.e. I still need to bring in some money to help with the hosting costs)

What you should find:

1. Less annoyance with adverts appearing over content

2. A speedier site. I checked the site speed and with less adverts my score has gone from a "D" to an "A" and in most cases the site launches in less then 8 seconds. This should be even quicker when the top advert is removed at the end of the contract.

The same thing has been done on the rest of the site (i.e. the homepage and the features) as well as the forum.

I hope this is good news to you all. Thank you for your patience and support when I mentioned the adverts being ramped up. On a personal note, I am delighted to be working again and I know that I am lucky and many of you are out of work. I wish all of you searching for jobs the best - I know how tough it is out there.

UTV,

Rob

Advert

37 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

Have there been more adverts? Frankly I never noticed

And you won't now 'cos they've gone 😉

The speed of the site loading is now about six to eight seconds which is a massive improvement. 

There may be the odd "stall" this evening as I am compressing things and other bits and bobs so ironically it may be slow to load as I tweak the settings a bit over the coming hours. But in general, the site should now be fast and not quite so chock full of adverts 🙂

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Nice one Rob.

Would it be possible to amend the forum settings to allow editing a post for a longer window? 2 minutes is a bit insufficient.

I can certainly look @Doha. I think that's one I can tweak and it's a fair comment that there should be more time allowed. 

Archived