onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

Good points Biddulph.

Your last paragraph, the Manny situation. 

He has to play in my opinion. Can't keep wrapping him in cotton wool. The season almost a quarter gone again with barely any game time. 

I know he's been extremely unfortunate but we are carrying dead wood if he does not play. Leyton Orient last September was the start of it all I think ?

14 months later we seem to be treading on eggshells and gasping every time he comes on.

Ludicrous situation and his contract expires in the summer. Absolutely no doubt he is quality but he has got to have a lengthy run in the team and that starts against Scunthorpe 

Advert

32 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Anyone hoping that yesterday was a bad dream I’d urge you not to look at the highlights as the goals conceded look even worse today.

How on earth did Vaughan get between Smith and Crookes for the first? The penalty.... it was as much a penalty as ours was, but why why why did Legge feel he needed to lift his leg up?? And even allowing for Smiths awful header, how on Earth has their guy managed to score from that angle?? Goalkeeping error for me that. The last goal, again, great strike but given all the time in the world.

As @Joe Bsaid red cards are part and parcel of the game and there are teams that would have shut up shop and seen that out 2-0.

If Kings Lynn had had a man sent off immediately after they’d scored, how many of you think we’d have scored twice to win the game??? No, me neither.

Yet we collapse like a deck of cards and concede 4 times. That and the manor of the goals conceded - two after the 90th minute - are the big concerns for me.

And Askey is at least as culpable because he had an unused substitution and if nothing else it would have wasted 30 secs or so to give people chance to get organised.

I’m looking for a win on Tuesday but I also have a sneaking feeling we’re going to come unstuck again.

I’d risk Manny in place of Joyce I think.

To be fair to Legge it looks like the ball goes the other ball and he got the block in, it’s a natural reaction to try and block a shot with his leg raised. But it’s so crowded that you don’t get a decent view of it. The first is a culmination of errors, from Clark missing out to Smith and Crookes possible lack of communication in losing Vaughan. Their third is the worst for me, Smith goes to the ball and Crookes goes behind to cover their other striker which leaves the player out wide unmarked where I think Worrall should have been more switched on. But it’s a good finish from a tight angle to keep that down. I’d imagine our video analyst could have a  field day with yesterday’s game though. 

Mannys got to be given a run in the side now. He has to show that he can get a good run of games under his belt for our sake and for his. Otherwise I’d say that he’s a player not worth a new contract if he doesn’t do that. 

Trying to look at the positives of what was a horrendous result after being comfortable at being 2 up and then take the lead after letting a 2 goal lead slip away to only throw it all away in overtime  

• Joyce is suspended so hopefully Askey will realise that Manny is the best player in that position 
  • Despite his praise of late Crookes is not good enough and even a left winger Monty is a better full back 
  • Askey may learn when to bring on a sub to help close a game off. Why he didn’t bring on Brisley for the last 10 or so minutes is beyond me. 

Calmed down a bit after yesterday so here’s my thoughts. 

Our penalty wasn’t a penalty. Blatant acting from Conlon however well put away. Really well worked 2nd goal hope to see more of that to come. 

Although 2-0 I thought they looked dangerous and it would be a tough 2nd half. 

Awful from Joyce. Imo it’s a red. He’s an experienced player and should know better than that. The ref can be blamed for his all round performance but that tackle lost us the game. Been disappointed with Joyce all season to be honest. I was told on here before the season started just how good he was (one of the best in the league) like last season I just don’t see it. 

Then the ref took over the game and ruined it. 

I thought the two subs askey made were correct. Rodney for pope was ideal and at a good time although manny should have been bought on imo as soon as Joyce was sent off. I have absalutley no idea why he didn’t make the other sub. Does he just not rate the others or something? At least waste a bit of time at the end! 

Very disappointed with our defending. 10 men or not you shouldn’t be conceded 4 goals at home in a half of football. Smith and legge both at fault. Legge seems to be really dropping off, is that 3 penalties he’s conceded already now? 

Crookes is rubbish. Miles worse than montano, said before the game I didn’t like the 11 this was one of the reasons why  

Manny has to play from now on. If it injures him or not. We have to start picking him. He’s our best player and has barely started a match again. He needs to stay fit or will be released come the end of the season. 

Again I understand we had 10 men. But quite often sides with 10 men defend well and are tough to break down second half. We could have easily taken off say amoo for manny and had no change defensively. However our defending was appalling, everyone saying we deserved a point. I’m not sure we did. You cannot defend like that and expect to get something from a game. Manager at fault again re subs. Really disappointing disjointed second half. 

I know the result was not what we wanted but it was fabulous entertainment. 

Everyone is complaining that Tranmere won because we went down to 10 men. Yes, but that overlooks the fact it was Joyce dismissed. Anyone else we would not have conceded four goals, we did because Joyce is absolutely integral to our team. He covers space, slows the opposition down and we only ever lose at home when he is not on the pitch.

One other interesting aspect to the game for me was the way the players reacted to the referee. He had an absolute shocker with both sides benefitting and suffering from his seemingly random decisions. When a referee loses control like that players usually try to take advantage and the game degenerates in to a mess. That did not happen, almost as if the players on both sides collectively thought this guy is useless but let us not make it worse.  Very laudable, but given we were winning maybe we should have tried to take advantage? Another example of us being too nice and also failing in game management?

14 minutes ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

Time for Carol to have a chat with him the last two Saturdays have been as bad as under sinnott and Gannon .

Are the players with him or not we will see ,ten pounds I pay every game that was the weakest we have looked defensively in all the games I've seen we lacked bottle to see the job through .

Really? Did you not see how much effort the players out into that yesterday. Of course the players are with him. The workmate of the midfield and striker was immense from start to finish. Defensively we should have done better for sure, I don't think any if the back 5 covered themselves in glory.

To suggest that is as bad as Sinnott and Gannon you must have a very short memory. 

4 hours ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

Two weekends in a row the players have embarrassed the support .

After the Joyce sending off I didnt get the substitution of Pope with Rodney surely it should have been Brisley and go 3 at the  back then Oyeleke for Conlon or Burgess .

Those last 6 mins will haunt me for a long time ,I'm not in a forgiving mood I'd like know where the referee lives he can explain to me the ridiculous decisions he gave throughout the game mostly in favour of Tranmere .

I'd be changing the defence too many of them players who only two weeks ago I was giving good marks too have suddenly dropped there standards big style and after conceding four goals at home in a half which is absolutely disgraceful from a professional outfit they wouldn't be playing for me again .

Midfield just let there midfield pass it and pass it well they did but anyone can pass if no one gets about them our players in that last 30 mins did very little apart from run away from the ball .

I was at the QPR game the 4-4 and I can forgive that as Jermaine Holwyn had a stinker but we still gained a point ,I cannot forgive yesterday the game was won on 92 mins the last four minutes were like from a horror show .

Hang your heads in shame ,Askey is on borrowed time for me now ,he really is poor at making subs and when he does you go oh right we lose our best midfielder for winning the ball  to a red card warranted or not , well the ref gave it so you make your sub straight away but no he waits till they score there first then replaces Pope with Rodney who is not a midfielder who doesn't hold the ball up ,who rarely wins the ball then he brings off Amoo for Oyeleke who goes up front when surely he should be sitting in Joyce's position and not moving only to tackle .

My Mark's dont care if upsets people we shouldn't be losing 4_3 when 3-2 up .

BROWN 6 No chance with the goals 

Clark 4 horrendous showing 

Smith 4 very poor 

Legge 5 scored a good goal for Vale disallowed for whatever reason ask the ref the clown.

Crookes 3 asked questions at the back second half was very poor 

Worrall 6 set up two goals best of sorry bunch 

Amoo 5 scored a lovely goal not at his best game passed him by 

Conlon 5 disappeared second half when we needed a big performance did not step up 

Pope 6 after he went off we went mega negative we lost one player not four played like we had lost four to sendings off 

Burgess 5 another who ran around a lot but to no avail not defence minded like Conlon did not affect the game and was not good enough last 30 mins ..

ASKEY 3 CLUELESS ,good teams would have seen that game out easily maybe needs learn  lessons of how to defend by that manager at Stoke .

A very bad day in fact I'd go as far as say it was worse than Kings Lynn and that took some beating 

Complete load of garbage from start to finish. That’s 10mins of your life spent typing you won’t get back!!!🙄

As soon as Joyce was sent off I knew we would loose, we are at best an average league two side when all are 100% we can be up there but we are carrying to many passengers. When we get a man sent off its down to 9 against eleven. Really disappointing I know the ref was pants but we just dont seem to be up for a fight we still lack a bit of steel, getting a Roy Keen type of attitude with out upsetting the dressing room is a must. Ruined my weekend but I did not expect us to win so obvious Vaughan was going to score against us again! 

Ref garbage, but re key incidents he was involved in we won some and lost some:

Ours never a peno, Conlon wrapped his left leg around the defender then fell over.  Well finished though

Stunning set piece for Amoo to score

Sending off - No complaints. As others have said it was a strong yellow as a minimum, but in 2020 a red more likely.  A lunge in he did not need to make half way in their half. Joyce put in a similar challenge first half in front of Lorne Street where he did not catch the man.  Maybe this was in the refs head   which could be the reason for the swift red?

Leons disallowed goal - seemed a soft foul by Pope he had given.  Wrong for me.

Their first after watching it back numerous times I am struggling to see a ‘blatant’ foul on Pope.  Some days you get these some days you don’t. Maybe a slight contact on his shoulder that he tried to make the most of, maybe he tripped himself / a tangle of feet. Whatever went over very easily, and I am sure Robinson / Rodney / Cullen or last year Bennett would have been criticised for not shielding the ball better there.

Disallowed Tranmere equaliser- he’s stumped me with that one!

Their penalty - for me very harsh - thought Leon blocked the shot and their player kicked into him

Stoppage time - with 5 subs at 30 seconds each, restarts from 4 goals, again if you say 30 seconds each plus a lengthy stoppage after the sending off I think he can justify the 6 minutes.

Disappointing / frustrating - we roll on to Tuesday

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Re that QPR game - another one influenced by incompetent officials who failed to give Tony Naylor's fifth goal when the ball had crossed the line!!

Gutted that day as well but the main reason we drew the game was down to Gardner going off injured and Holwyn coming on, now he was a donkey!

8 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

Everyone commenting about poor refereeing decisions, but the worst decision must surely have been to award Conlan a penalty instead of giving him a yellow card for a blatant dive. I hate seeing players cheating, especially our own players.

You can’t blame Conlon As long as refs persist in giving penalties every time a player goes down players will keep doing it even when there’s no contact 

Archived