onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

18 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

In the first half Brown didn’t make a save. They had a lot of the ball but weren’t really creating chances. That changed when we went down to 10 men.

Joe, in addition to the red card Askey also said our pen was a deffo and their’s wasn’t a pen. Do you agree with him?

Didn't see he said that.

If he thinks our pen was a deffo, he's nuts. Blatant dive. Absolute clear as day, we got lucky.

If he's got the Joyce one wrong then fair, but my initial assessment was it was studs showing and contacted his shin. Their players, before the lad went down, were very angry, and the ref didn't hesitate. Bang. Off. Not even chance for their players to get in his ear. I don't buy the 'evening up the decisions' thing. 

Advert

27 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

To be fair though Joe I think you've got to give credit to Tranmere, who were decent prior to the sending off, and watching the game I fancied them to score at some point.  The posession stats were something like 60:40 in their favour at the end of the first half so once we went down to 10 it was always going to be difficult.  We just ran out of steam today and inevitably more and more mistakes crept in.  As you say, individual errors as the pressure mounts.  In some games we've given late goals away due to bad "game management" with 11 men but obviously it's much harder to manage the game  when you're down to 10.

They looked pretty lively early on, and took their chances excellently when we were on the ropes. Fair play to them. Still should have had enough about us to at least get a point today.

I know everyone is angry straight after the game with what went on, but just a few little observations I had.

Our first I thought was won by Conlon rather than being a foul. 

Second goal was a perfect routine, just watch the blocking going at the back post to free up Amoo. Brilliant.

Joyce has gone in shin high studs up, that’s red by the letter of the law. If that had been on us we’d have been sure it was a red. He let us down massively. 

Their first comes from Clark losing the ball, which he did a lot today and they were in behind him. There was a definite hand on Popey, not sure if he made the most of that as I’ve not seen it back, but you’d expect to get a free kick there. From then Crookes has let his man get in front of him and Smith arguably hasn’t got close enough to the front post to cut it out. 

No idea why their second was disallowed, but according to Sproson it was great work by Crookes

Couldn’t see much of their peno from the camera angle, it looks like Legge has blocked the shot and their lad kicks him? I think it was a harsh decision. 

Good header from Rodney for our third, other than that he did nowt. Great delivery from Worrall too. 

Third was a poor clearance from a Clark initially but I don’t think there was much he could do about that, Smiths tried win the header and only glanced it, Crookes had to  come narrow with his man but Worrall is nowhere near his man at the back post. That’s why Worrall was back that far to track him and he didn’t. 

Their fourth is a great strike, but maybe our midfielders shouldn’t have gone so deep and that’s left him with acres to get a shot away. 

No doubt the red is the turning point, personally I don’t think we can complain too much about that. If we won an appeal I’d be amazed. Despite us being 2-0 up at that point they looked a good footballing side to me, but even so they weren’t creating many chances. It might sound strange but even at 2-0 I thought we were offering very little threat. Our full backs offered nothing and our wingers were hardly in the game. They seemed to have a plan of keeping their left winger high to play in behind Clark, and given the amount of times he gave it away they managed to get behind on a few occasions. Unfortunately one of them lead to the goal. Our midfield couldn’t really control the tempo, I think Spearing is a quality player for them, Burgess and Conlon gradually drifted out of the game. But even having said all that, I genuinely thought we’d go on to win until Joyce saw red as I didn’t see them scoring. Like I said the red changed it all. I think there’s plenty to digest and review from that game, there’s a lot that both full backs can learn from that in particular. TBH Crookes should be 4th choice left back when everyone is fit. Granted it’s hard when you have ten men, but there were situations both when we had 11 and when we had 10 men where I feel we could have done better and made better decisions.  A disappointing day to say the least. 

I think their ‘2nd was disallowed for hand ball

Crookes was trying to tackle but I think despite what Sproson says, Crookes was caught out of position several times today

We can't deny that Askey, and I really like him, has a key flaw; we cannot see games out under him. 

Salford, Mansfield, Orient, Scunthorpe last season. Last week and today this season. By comparison, how many last minute goals have we scored? Bradford and Mansfield at home? Is that it?

I don't know what it is. Is it leadership, fitness, 'character'? Is it just a string of continuously poor luck? Is it a poor ability to manage games, to hold the ball in safe areas and to grind out results?

The players work hard. They're committed. But this rubbish keeps happening.

We have a management team of great experience. So why do they seem unable to judge the best way to see a game out?

We were being battered for 30 minutes. Why not bring on an extra centre half for the last 5 minutes plus added time. I don't think we would have conceded the third goal if we had done just that.

This forum, probably like all forums irrespective of the team, has always has and continues to have, an element of people who are singularly only concerned with seeing the negatively that they constantly spout, coming to fruition.  Everyone is entitled to express an opinion, and thank goodness for that, but you can't help thinking that for some, their prophesied failure of others would be grately celebrated if they were to granted their wish. They like to be heard and proved right, even at the expense of the club because the club isn't in the equation, as long as they are right.

One well known Radio Sjoke contributer had a text fired off tonight even before the ref had finished blowing his whistle - interestingly,  I wonder if the a positive comment would have been so quick to arrive if we had held on to the three points? 

As far as excepting mediocrity,  most of us would have craved it only a couple of years ago, so if it takes a couple of years to get it right, then so be it, but being three points off a promotion spot isn't exactly mediocre anyway. REAL fans need to SUPPORT the team through runs of inconsistency. I'm not saying that we can't have a moan, but don't make poisoning an individual or the team an agenda. UTV

38 minutes ago, Badgerspaws said:

We have a management team of great experience. So why do they seem unable to judge the best way to see a game out?

We were being battered for 30 minutes. Why not bring on an extra centre half for the last 5 minutes plus added time. I don't think we would have conceded the third goal if we had done just that.

Apparently we're allowed three substitutions per game.

If we won't use our third one in that situation then when will we?

1 hour ago, osprey said:

I think their ‘2nd was disallowed for hand ball

Crookes was trying to tackle but I think despite what Sproson says, Crookes was caught out of position several times today

Despite what Sproson says, Crookes should be nowhere near the first eleven.

If Montano is fit he should have played at left back.  Brisley should have come on at the end. Fresh legs and added height.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

They looked pretty lively early on, and took their chances excellently when we were on the ropes. Fair play to them. Still should have had enough about us to at least get a point today.

They were lively throughout.  On another day that shot sails over.  It's all if's and and's.  Maybe we should have used our last sub and brought Brisley on to eat up the clock a bit.  Having said that the ref can still add the extra time on.

Archived