onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT G3 Port Vale v Liverpool U21

Fosse69

Robinson was poor tonight, no doubt. Not writing the bloke off nor on his back, but tonight was not good. Manny was class, please let him not be injured again. Star man was McKirdy.  Thought both CB's lacked presence which led to being a bit shaky at the back. Cullen was a live wire for 45 mins. Playing 4-4-2 was fun, but just shows how open you are playing this way.

But it was less turgid. So more fun. Not sure I would fancy it every week.  But yeah, good game, enjoyed it. Those who didn't pay their tenner missed a good game.

Although I completely understand why people would not.

Advert

I see Mckirdy has gone from zero to hero based on a game against kids.

I personally said he was potentially the signing of the summer but obviously injuries have blighted his spell so far.

Too many on here have slagged the lad off and not given him a chance on numerous threads.

Tonight is not a yardstick for me due to the opposition, but a fully fit McKirdy is a potential starter for us as he is a game changer. You then have the counter argument of who on earth does he replace.

I hope he gets more of a chance as the season goes on.

Mckirdy star man i know was against kids but he still performed and looks like can be a real asset. Hes not afraid to be direct and get at players which is something weve lacked in a long time. When hea fully match fit he could be seriously pushing for a start in the league. The only down side is he we lack a bit of defensive cover with playing him as doesnt strike me as someone who would bust a gut to track back but was exciting to see him play the way he did last night. 

on robinson am sorry he looks miles off it he did nothing agaisnt a u21 squad looks nowhere near up to the standard and 100% sure the bloke doesnt know the offside rule. 

onto the weekend and hopefully another 3pts and lets fet a real run going in the league now before christmas we should fear nobody in this league

12 hours ago, toyahw said:

Robinson was poor tonight, no doubt. Not writing the bloke off nor on his back, but tonight was not good. Manny was class, please let him not be injured again. Star man was McKirdy.  Thought both CB's lacked presence which led to being a bit shaky at the back. Cullen was a live wire for 45 mins. Playing 4-4-2 was fun, but just shows how open you are playing this way.

But it was less turgid. So more fun. Not sure I would fancy it every week.  But yeah, good game, enjoyed it. Those who didn't pay their tenner missed a good game.

i didn't watch the game last night (usual protest), but haven't missed any others all season and those that know me will know that I don't miss many generally.

My take on the strikers is a strange on - Robinson is a player. i have no doubt about his ability at all ... but something isn't gelling at the moment. Could be the system, the ball not being there for his runs, just settling into the club/team still or something else that we don't know about. Hopefully JA will know and can work on it with him. Pope is a nice surprise for me. Love the bloke to bits and always will, but I thought that he would be more of a 3rd choice this year. he has looked fantastic most times that he has played. Cullen is another one that like Robinson, has the ability, but sometimes its just not there. Always looks to me to be an irritant to the other tams and could be our first choice if he can add the goals that he is capable of. again, we need to stop anything long to him and work to his strengths of through balls and running the channels - he needs passes from midfield not the back 4! I won't pass comment on Rodders except that he started really well, has blistering pace and with consistency can be a player.

I'd say that we were set up with the front 4, but need to start to get the ball to them in the right places more consistently.

With regards to McKirdy, I wasn't keen on his signing and haven't seen any glimpses of him being what we need ... until the highlights from last night. If he can do anything like what he sounds like last night, play him for 1/2 a game and replace him when he is shattered and I hope that he proves me wrong and shoves my words right down my throat!

7 hours ago, jonti1969 said:

Good result and some nicely worked goals. Another £10000 in the bank. Lets hope we can make some real progress in this cup and bring some much needed money into the club to support Carol and Kevin.

I could be wrong but i think its 8k this season,still better than nowt though

On 10/11/2020 at 17:08, boslemportvale91 said:

Very reasonable and noble choice. 

I just find myself not invested in these sort of games. 

No doubt I'll probably pay for the stream last minute again due to Guilt. 

Hope guilt got the better of you in the end, setting aside the issues of the U21's, I think most would agree it was a very entertaining game.

17 hours ago, toyahw said:

Sadly, when points are at stake, this is exactly why we can't play 4-4-2, we're wide open.  Maybe we don't have the players to play the system, or maybe they just aren't accustomed to it, who knows.

45 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Sadly, when points are at stake, this is exactly why we can't play 4-4-2, we're wide open.  Maybe we don't have the players to play the system, or maybe they just aren't accustomed to it, who knows.

Very very few clubs play a conventional 442 now. The few that do often have two sitting central midfield players like Harrogate.  

Archived