onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC R1 Port Vale v King`s Lynn Town

Fosse69

Advert

looking at the "highlights" askey only has to look at their goal to understand whats wrong its the defence ball watching then panicing. smith/joyce look like spectators-five players in front of the ball, no tackle made (even if they conceded a penalty, at least we would have had a chance.)  My first priority in training would be to take those players up to forest park , run them up and down the hills a few times , then tell them  to do this performance against tranmere and seewhat happens! the defence needs more speed in their legs especially legge. ah  that feels better!!!! 🤐😒😬

In reply to those comments of wind up and troll, you couldn’t be further from the truth. For those looking through rose tinted glasses, thinking how good thinks are under Askey with comments such as “at least we’re 4 points better off than this time last year” “the team needs time to gel”  “give the manager time” etc etc !!! Well folks we’re in division 4 and having followed the vale for 50 years and having witnessed plenty of dross during  those years I can’t see any signs this team is going to get us promotion anytime soon. But guess those who commented troll and wind know better- I hope so !!! 

43 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

In reply to those comments of wind up and troll, you couldn’t be further from the truth. For those looking through rose tinted glasses, thinking how good thinks are under Askey with comments such as “at least we’re 4 points better off than this time last year” “the team needs time to gel”  “give the manager time” etc etc !!! Well folks we’re in division 4 and having followed the vale for 50 years and having witnessed plenty of dross during  those years I can’t see any signs this team is going to get us promotion anytime soon. But guess those who commented troll and wind know better- I hope so !!! 

I agree with the Div 4 point. We should not be in this league. We got relegated due to the antics of a mad chairman and Carol has delivered stability with a squad that should not be losing to non league teams. 

Yet I feel the team, although doing ok, has underperformed with poor tempo and wasted chances. 

Losing to King’s Kynn was not a bad one off, it represented weeks of slow, ponderous performances that missed many chances. The only difference is, we paid the price on Saturday. 

Askey should not be sacked but I think fans should expect better. I really enjoyed the end of last season and expectations were rightly higher. 

The only thing we'll miss from cup competitions is the dosh,as with no fans in stadiums,the competitions are dead rubber.Loads of surprise results at the weekend which is no surprise,as no fans  was good leveller for non league teams.Let's get over it as,  in the bigger picture people are dying and serously ill out there.The league is our MAIN priority. 

Yes, bad results happen, but two things bothered me watching the game on Saturday.

1. We looked very one dimensional and predictable going forward. Out to the wing and get a cross in seemed to be the only plan. The one time a player ran at the defence, they looked terrified. But we didn’t try it again. Can’t our midfield work something from the edge of the box rather than spread it wide.

2. The reaction to going behind was non existent. Our midfield was still laying balls back to Smith and Legge, even after the board went up.

20 minutes ago, Brian said:

Yes, bad results happen, but two things bothered me watching the game on Saturday.

1. We looked very one dimensional and predictable going forward. Out to the wing and get a cross in seemed to be the only plan. The one time a player ran at the defence, they looked terrified. But we didn’t try it again. Can’t our midfield work something from the edge of the box rather than spread it wide.

2. The reaction to going behind was non existent. Our midfield was still laying balls back to Smith and Legge, even after the board went up.

My only worry was that was literally our first team. I’m past concerning myself about Askey’s poor use of subs as that’s just a given. 

2 hours ago, Brian said:

I think your first point is true in part, first half especially.  I have no problem with “out to the wing and cross” but crosses have to be a bit better.  For all the crosses we put in not that many were really testing or begging to be headed home.  Smith headed one wide from memory. Also, we did run at them on quite a few occasions, it just either didn’t open up for us or the cross or shot wasn’t quite good enough.  Wozza had a good run and shot which was well saved. Keeping in mind also Kings Lynn kept men behind the ball and were happy to play predominantly on the break and many a ball landed in their box but was hacked away rather than landing at the feet of our player.

Your second point is true and was all the more apparent after watching a few of the Sunday games, Crawley for example.  I personally think we’ve been too nice for a number of seasons and we could do with one or two nasty 6ar57ard5 the team/squad.  Maybe this would disrupt the dressing room, I don’t know.

Port Vale: Goodlad, Walsh, Carragher, Tankard, Cummins, Bridge-Wilkinson, Minton, Brammer, Smith, Naylor, Viljanen.
Subs: Delaney, O'Callaghan, Burns, Twiss, Brisco  

What happened on Saturday would never have happened with this team. Here we had quality and commitment all through and of course the massively experienced Brian Horton as manager.  Err, old on a mo, this team couldn't beat Canvey Island.

I'm not defending Saturdays woeful atttempt, but, after the inquest,  the quicker we can move on the better. If we were to lose the next six game, then yes, I'd be worrying  and all the negativity that this result has sparked will be justified. Until then, it serves no purpose, other than to allow people who wish to express an unfavourable opinion  to do so. 

Archived