onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC R1 Port Vale v King`s Lynn Town

Fosse69

No real miss this season,apart from any income from winning.No crowds and ,coupled with the risk of further coronavirus issues,we should question whether any cup competition should've been allowed .It's going to be difficult enough to complete this season's league programme  anyway.We go again,next week 🤔

Advert

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I agree, he has been a rock and about as mobile too on today’s showing. The reason he should not be getting a new contract is because once you cannot physically match a team below the level you are playing, it does not matter if you can do so technically. 

Kings Lynn were ponderous and yet Legge could not cope. 

He has done well in the past and is a good player, but the signs are obvious that this won’t carry on for many years and like Pope, should not be getting deals beyond what he has. Especially given the big wages. 

He’s coped fine all season earning excellent reviews as captain and part of the best defence in the league.

He had a bad game, that’s it... and suddenly we shouldn't be offering him a new contract. 

If we took that approach we would have gotten rid of him after his first game for the vale against Kidsgrove, he was woeful. Luckily judging a league 2 player on a single game is stupid and many managers decide against it.

It’s an over reaction. One of many on here tonight, but an over reaction.

Askey pisses me off with his lack of plan B in games and not changing things around until it's too late for God knows what reason. But yesterday was just one of those games. We were the better team, created enough chances to win two games of football and it was just one of them FA Cup games where the opposition rides their luck and the stars align for them. On another day we would have won by two or three and everyone would be saying professional job done. But their keeper had a blinder, they threw bodies in the way all game and sometimes you just have to say it was one of those games. Beat Tranmere next Saturday and we'll probably be in the automatic places in the league table, and all will be forgotten.

We do need more goals from somewhere though. It's the only thing that could stop us from making the top 6 this season, and it needs to be sorted asap.

4 hours ago, TylerB said:

Askey pisses me off with his lack of plan B in games and not changing things around until it's too late for God knows what reason. But yesterday was just one of those games. We were the better team, created enough chances to win two games of football and it was just one of them FA Cup games where the opposition rides their luck and the stars align for them. On another day we would have won by two or three and everyone would be saying professional job done. But their keeper had a blinder, they threw bodies in the way all game and sometimes you just have to say it was one of those games. Beat Tranmere next Saturday and we'll probably be in the automatic places in the league table, and all will be forgotten.

We do need more goals from somewhere though. It's the only thing that could stop us from making the top 6 this season, and it needs to be sorted asap.

AH! The magic of the F.A Cup. well done KLT.

As for JA...as you allude, his primary focus is L2 success and the 4 games in 14 days- Kings Lynn,  Liverpool U21, Tranmere and Newport - will, in my opinion, have focused his mind accordingly.

Then again, what do I know - I'm still recovering from Canvey Island.

12 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

You also think Legge doesn’t deserve a contract based on an FA cup shock?

I wont slate Legge one bit however i do think he might need a rest(although having said that we didnt play midweek and he wont play on tuesday),Legge is a warrior we all know that..... i arent sure if those saying about a contract are on about if we are still in league 2 but personally speaking if we are in league 2 he has another 12mths in him,maybe not as many starts but move into the coaching side at Vale,should we be promoted to league 1 then i doubt he would get one as a player for us but be offered a coaching role

10 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I wont slate Legge one bit however i do think he might need a rest(although having said that we didnt play midweek and he wont play on tuesday),Legge is a warrior we all know that..... i arent sure if those saying about a contract are on about if we are still in league 2 but personally speaking if we are in league 2 he has another 12mths in him,maybe not as many starts but move into the coaching side at Vale,should we be promoted to league 1 then i doubt he would get one as a player for us but be offered a coaching role

We’ve got more coaches than players already 

Watching the highlights of the other FAC games, what struck me is the gap between L1, L2 and the non-league is marginal. As Vale fans we wouldn’t have been surprised if we lost last weekend so I don’t know why we should be that surprised we lost to a side slightly below them.

As disappointing as it is I suppose the fans of Swindon, Colchester, Rochdale, Grimsby and Southend are all feeling the same this morning. I think it goes to show we’ve improved from two years ago but we have still got a long way to go. 
The most disappointing aspect is the loss of revenue especially during these difficult times. This result will either derail or galvanise us. I just hope it’s the latter!

People slate Legge but second half on a booking I thought he did very well. They targeted him, at one point Power went one on one against him and he took him wide didn’t dive in and forced it for a corner. Our defensive record is best in L2 I believe and he’s been key so to slate him and talk about him being past it or not worth a contract is a bit over the top. He has helped Smudge develop no end as well with his experience.

I was thinking of non league defeats at home and let’s hope there is a correlation! 2000/01 Canvey Island... after that loss we went on to win the LDV and second half of that season lost 1 in 20 odd games.

Scarborough in 2003/04 we had a similar great home record to the present time but were beaten late on like yesterday. That season was the closest we’d come to returning to the second tier and was a whisker from the play offs.

So it doesn’t have to be a death knell of the overall goal in the league or affect us.

8 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

People slate Legge but second half on a booking I thought he did very well. They targeted him, at one point Power went one on one against him and he took him wide didn’t dive in and forced it for a corner. Our defensive record is best in L2 I believe and he’s been key so to slate him and talk about him being past it or not worth a contract is a bit over the top. He has helped Smudge develop no end as well with his experience.

I was thinking of non league defeats at home and let’s hope there is a correlation! 2000/01 Canvey Island... after that loss we went on to win the LDV and second half of that season lost 1 in 20 odd games.

Scarborough in 2003/04 we had a similar great home record to the present time but were beaten late on like yesterday. That season was the closest we’d come to returning to the second tier and was a whisker from the play offs.

So it doesn’t have to be a death knell of the overall goal in the league or affect us.

Legge on a booking, and getting skinned. Manager should have got him off and put a forward on. They only threatened  now and again(against legge) . Sorry but as Akeys fault  I know most players were crap, but make subs instead of last 10 15 mins. Askey would send me sleep in dressing room, you only have to listen to him on the radio. Get someone who can motivate.

After a night’s sleep and reflection.

Brown - 6 - Little to do and no chance with the goal.

Defence.  Clark easily MoTM, with Smith decent also especially as he was carrying Legge today.  Crookes ok but offers little offensively.

Midfield - woeful.  How some can scream for 442 when we struggled to dominate the middle of the pitch with an extra man is beyond me.  What was the point of having Manny on the bench if you just leave them to perform like that!

Forwards - Amoo our only real attacking threat on the day, albeit Wozza unlucky to have his strike chalked off.  I note the long essays of last week about why Pope must start because defenders are frightened at the mere sight of his name on the team sheet are lacking this week.  Dominated start to finish by their centre backs who must have loved having such a static target.  Tom still has a role to play but it should be as an impact sub.  Yes I know he scored twice last week, but Southend kids with an 18 month losing streak should not be the benchmark.  We needed movement up top and had none.

Very disappointing- let’s hope we get a positive reaction

12 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Overall I would prefer to lose today than a league game. The league is the target to get out of this god awful division. It’s a bad defeat and askey really needs to wake up and change the side round and use the resources he had. However I’d prefer us to lose today rather than our next league match. 

You may well be right  that we are in a "God awful division" but unfortunately we gave a perfect impression of a team in it - ie God awful !!

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

Is playing Pope at home in a 1 man attack the correct thing to do?, yes, he scored 2 goals in his previous game but totally different circumstances and as mentioned by many, he is the better option when playing away from home.

Totally agree. But how can he drop a bloke who grabbed a brace last week ?

The strikers is a huge conundrum for Askey. 

Cullen for example will win us the game at VP, quite rightly keeps his place for the next game. Totally anonymous as we lump it up to him. 

Pope recalled, repeat what I said for Cullen.

Robinson slightly disappointed so far in him but again no run of games without being dropped.

Rodney totally raw and unproven, doesn't even know himself what he is going to do next. Exciting and frustrating in equal measure.

I really don't know the answer but when the onus is on us I'm not sure Pope is the man at home, he most certainly is the man away as he holds the ball up better than our other 3 options. 

Askey is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Dropping Pope yesterday would of been seen as ridiculous, likewise after Cullen got his 2 against Crawley he had to pick him next game. 

No idea what the answer is but the disjointedness of 4 strikers and not knowing our main man isn't great. 

Archived