onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC R1 Port Vale v King`s Lynn Town

Fosse69

Advert

as a football contest it was an absolute mugging, we had enough of the game to win 2 or 3 games and the bigger worry is the problem rather than the result.

We won 3 on the spin but the first thought after beating Southend and Oldham was that we should have won 5 or 6... even against Cheltenham at 2-1 we missed 2 glorious chances.

We have resolved the issue of a few weeks ago when we weren’t creating chances but now we are creating loads but not being ruthless enough. Games which are tighter chance wise are the ones which may cost us promotion/play offs so need to improve that.

In terms of going out it’s probably the best time for us to do it over the course of time. Less money in it, not having to sit freezing our <ovf censored> off watching it, but the main one is the loss of potential experience of a plumb tie (and cash) the experience in January at the Etihad was incredible... anyone doing it this season will be watching on a stream in a rattling stadium. Today is Kings Lynns biggest day in their history and no one there to see it!

It’s annoying but the bigger picture this season is the league for us and I’d be gutted if we got a plumb tie, a massive club or Stoke and we couldn’t go! So saves that!

Performance was fine until the final ball and the finish. Should of played Cullen as he is the most lethal finisher at the club IMO!

Legge and Joyce had shitters today mind! Clark was outstanding... would of been a goal of the season had he got his shot away after running from one area to the other!

Frustrating Wozza’s goal was ruled out too as he looks well on when the shot is taken but once that happened and the Clark miss from 4 yards I knew we were going to be sucker punched.

3 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Thought Smith did well also  considering he had to carry Legge today.

Yes Smith too, and Amoo to a certain extent.  However the team as a whole collectively never got out of first gear.  We should have been after them from the kick off but the tempo just wasn't there.  Second half we upped it a bit and created the opportunities without taking any of them.  In fairness there were several situations from dead balls where it just didn't break for us in the box, but overall we didn't show enough urgency, and I think this has been a problem in several of the league games.

As I’ve often been accused of being negative on this forum, I’ll pick out the positives:-

1. I had the foresight not to waste my time and money watching this. It might sound sacrilegious, but the first couple of rounds of the FA Cup really don’t interest me that much. 

2. As @valefan16 says, if ever there was a good season to bin the Cup off early doors it’s this one. It would be gutting to get Utd and a) not be able to watch it live and b) not get a share of some very healthy gate receipts. We literally can now concentrate on the League. But aside from that, it’s the potential fixture congestion anyway of having a good cup run and then finding half a dozen league games need to be rearranged because of COVID call-offs.

3. Its a truly awful, totally embarrassing result and one I hope the players and management are truly ashamed off. Hopefully they are already desperate to make amends.

4. I hope that Askey has learned something from this today, in terms of tactics and substitutions. Once again we come unstuck against a side looking to spoil/contain and the need for a Plan B and earlier subs when Plan A is clearly not working is as plain as the nose on your face. 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yeah none league sides rarely up their game in the first round of the FA cup do they? 

might as well not play the games... just do the maths and assign the victory.

Someone call Ronnie Radford and tell him it all means nothing!

Im agreeing with you on the plan B.

No I agree. It’s the fa cup and very often sides do. I think it’s more the manor of defeat with this one and the lack of plan b. 

Overall I would prefer to lose today than a league game. The league is the target to get out of this god awful division. It’s a bad defeat and askey really needs to wake up and change the side round and use the resources he had. However I’d prefer us to lose today rather than our next league match. 

Question. Would we have lost today if there had been a crowd in?  Don’t know the answer, just asking. 
Why? Irrelevant. Askey would not have changed anything because there was a crowd in. Our totally boring and easily recognizable formulation and tactics are there for ALL to see, even non league teams! I have been one of the most temperate and "willing to let give everyone a chance " type of fans. I like to believe I've always posted with Vales best interests in mind, come what may. I've supported Vale in excess of 40 years and accept we have ups and downs. I've given managers and squads every conceivable chance to show they know what's required and with patience what could be achieved. I honestly now feel Vale have reached a time when, to back the fantastic support Carol and her crew have given us, there needs some heart searching as to how to proceed forward. Some of the people on here say after today some of us are knee jerking or unrealistic in our desires. To that I counter that we are NOT yet ready to fulfil fans dreams and requirements. Our tactics, play and formations simply are frustrating, defensive and conducive to opponents not fearing to play us. Look at our goalscoring efforts, statistics, build up. They say it all. I sincerely love Vale, always have, always will. But I feel we have to, certainly now in view of the financial situation surrounding Football in general, review how we move forward and for the short term take total stock as to whether the current squad, manager and system are capable of the progression our dedicated owners deserve. This is not as a result of one loss in the fa cup against non league opposition. It's a belief from a dedicated fan, home and away, that we honestly are NOT good enough to fulfil what the majority of us fans want..success, promotion and an inner belief we can continue our progress. I apologize for ranting on but this is a Club that means all to me. I appreciate there are those on here will automatically suggest we are placed in a good position in the league. But honestly how many can seriously say we are going to carry that forward? Let us take a minute now to sit and digest what we are, where are we going, where are we likely to be in the near future. I do trust in Carol & Co. I hope they are seeing now where their investment is likely to take them. Maybe I'm too pessimistic but after 40 plus years I've seen and experienced so may highs and lows to hopefully be realistic to know we all want more than is possible. Doesnt prevent me from wanting the best for my Club. At this juncture I feel we are not close to achieving the goals desired. All my opinion. Respectfully I know some will disagree.

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

This is the very definition of an unstable overreaction.

Legge has been a rock in the best defence in league 2 so far this season... one bad game against a rapid lad and he suddenly doesn’t deserve a contract.

Thank god you don’t make any major decisions over anything that affects my life 😂

I agree, he has been a rock and about as mobile too on today’s showing. The reason he should not be getting a new contract is because once you cannot physically match a team below the level you are playing, it does not matter if you can do so technically. 

Kings Lynn were ponderous and yet Legge could not cope. 

He has done well in the past and is a good player, but the signs are obvious that this won’t carry on for many years and like Pope, should not be getting deals beyond what he has. Especially given the big wages. 

Archived