onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC R1 Port Vale v King`s Lynn Town

Fosse69

Have to agree with Santa. Football does this. Yes today was a shocker and is a bitter pill to swallow,  You can analyse these things to death, but ultimately has there ever been a season, or will there never be another,  when a lower league side beats higher opposition?  As much as it's horrible when we're on the receiving end, who ever said that we should be immune from such results.  I heard some clown quote that it was the worst performance he'd ever seen, if so he must be about  12, because most of us have seen plenty over the years.   We'll all get over it and the sooner the better. 

Advert

2 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

You know what Bill....I don't even think they were that good. I thought in the end they deserved to win but basically because we were so bad. They grew into the game after we had played like a Sunday morning pub team for the first half, and that's being unkind to a pub team. I've never seen Joyce misplace so many passes. We upped it second half but looked clueless in how to score....loop it into the box and Tom will do his stuff except he couldn't. That meant we were always susceptible to one chance, it came, as you'd expect, and it's in and we're out with another embarrassing cup defeat.

Good luck to them in the next round but Kerrrrrist we were bad. i don't exonerate JA from that but the standards we set ourselves and slipped to on the pitch were purely the players fault. NO-ONE took responsibility, everyone looked at each other and left it to someone else.......Gor blimey that result/performance has got to me. I really thought we'd have been professional enough to see them off.

Off to climb inside a bottle or two of red wine!

You're right, yewth - they weren't that good and we lacked leadership all over the pitch. If only we had someone who could take the game by the scruff of the neck and make it go our way. Andy Porter and Robbie would have been in their element today but we've been spoiled by the Rudgie days. Can't see them coming back any time soon, unfortunately. 

Same as you but on Italian white tonight. Only difference is bet yours is cheaper and better than where we are!

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Is this a wind up post?

Very good away performance? 17 shots to 3? They were charmed!

And there is NO MONEY in this years FA Cup as there are no crowds!

A good away performance is soaking up pressure and hitting ‘em on the break and there is prize money on offer even without the crowds

Legge's worst game for us today imo,he has looked sluggish in a few games but we have got through and those turns do scare me at times..he has been immense for us and no one can doubt that but maybe he needs a rest and at least we have a good stand in in brisley

I said to my old man today about Legge, he’s slowing both with his feet and mind, you can see it every week... if we went up, he’d struggle to make the grade.

Today’s performance overall was poor, the only player to come out of that with Credit was Amoo, the rest, well, they were well below par. Far too many misplaced passes, poor control, bad decisions and woeful, woeful by way of overall effort and energy.

13 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

A good away performance is soaking up pressure and hitting ‘em on the break and there is prize money on offer even without the crowds

The prize money is pittance compared to the reward of a money spinning away day at a 40,000+ seater ground. Or a packed Vale Park etc.

The best we could have hoped for is to be on TV but that's a lottery in itself.

I said to my old man today about Legge, he’s slowing both with his feet and mind, you can see it every week... if we went up, he’d struggle to make the grade.

Today’s performance overall was poor, the only player to come out of that with Credit was Amoo, the rest, well, they were well below par. Far too many misplaced passes, poor control, bad decisions and woeful, woeful by way of overall effort and energy.

Agree Legge looked shaky - a lot of his passes seem slow and only just reach
But still a good defender for us and good partner for Smith

As for Amoo - yes he can get into position to cross but not often are they good crosses. Wish he would cross earlier sometimes as well

45 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Have to agree with Santa. Football does this. Yes today was a shocker and is a bitter pill to swallow,  You can analyse these things to death, but ultimately has there ever been a season, or will there never be another,  when a lower league side beats higher opposition?  As much as it's horrible when we're on the receiving end, who ever said that we should be immune from such results.  I heard some clown quote that it was the worst performance he'd ever seen, if so he must be about  12, because most of us have seen plenty over the years.   We'll all get over it and the sooner the better. 

It was a poor performance and an embarrassment. I can't believe all the clubs have allowed the F.A to reduce the prize money, disgusting in these times. Epitomises them and the EFL. Regardless, I remember the 3-0 at Enfield, Canvey Island and being at Chasetown with Luke Rodgers penalty still lost in the woods and Stan Collymore dancing on the clubhouse roof.

What worries me is that even now with a full squad and 4 strikers, I always worry that if Amoo and Worrall don't deliver we struggle, We are not fee-scoring enough something you see in promotion sides.

Today just merely confirmed that. Pope to me is still our best striker, Cullen may always be injury prone, who knows.

I expect a reaction, but this was an opportunity for £20-£30K at least and it's gone.

It's not the same without fans. This is a big knockback imo.

We are disciplined and hard to beat, is that enough? It is compared to the Smurthwaite years - but we expect so much more now - don't we?

0-0 in any game is dodgy because no matter how much a team is on top and no matter how many chances you create the opposition will always get at least 1 good chance. That’s exactly what they did today, we didn’t take ours and we weren’t good enough to finish them off.

To blame Askey for the formation is daft. We were playing a system we are familiar with, that was our best side we can put out at the moment and we were coming into the game off the back of 3 straight wins. Confidence was high. The blame lies at the feet of the players today. 

What about Clarke mate? Best man we've got.

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

I'm not an advocate of 442 with this squad because we simply don't have the players to make it work. Having said that, we played more like 424 against Carlisle leaving our midfield woefully exposed. The really big problem we have is that we can't score and it looks as if we have very few goals in the side. And it also looks as if the word has got around that if you defend deep, Vale have no answer, so set up to defend and, if you get one goal, you stand a good chance of winning.

This is our biggest problem by far with only, I think, 8 teams that have scored fewer goals. So if Askey continues to play 433, that's fine, but he has to find a way to set up clear chances and finish them. It's going to help on the chances side if we can get Manny back playing regularly but then we still have to put it in the net!

There's a long way to go - let's hope we don't see any more games like today.

442   or   433     Formations mean absolutely nothing. Its the players to fit those formations. If they are not balanced then its no good.   433 is fine if wide right comes in when ball is out wide left and vice versa. They wide men have to score goals. If they do not then the 1 up front needs 25+ for promotion.

Our wide men cannot score those goals. Worall's shots are mainly like back passes. Rodney is never composed to score goals. Amoo just never gets in the positions to get the goals. Our wide men cannot create enough good chances on a regular basis. You need to beat the man and cross not wait and wait before crossing.

Its not the opposition that we fail to beat. Its our own performance that gives us the end result, good or bad. We can beat anyone but the next week, the same players, can lose to anyone.

Not enough goals in the team, whichever system. Not enough creativity from the middle. Very few goals there at all. We lose a man having to play Joyce as a holding player in front of the back four. Not enough danger down the wings to create or score.

The problem is that the players i say are failing us : Worall Pope Amoo Conlon Joyce Legge deserve to have those positions each week. They are the best we have. Will they be good enough over a season for the play offs ? My thoughts are maybe not but they are the best we have and we will continue to see good performances followed by poor ones from the same players.

Archived