Match Thread: Southend United v Port Vale

I am going to be slightly controversial. Three wins on the trot is is brilliant but I do not think we have quite clicked yet this season. We are grinding out results which is a good but I think there is so much more to come from this squad.
Not controversial at all mate. I, too feel we are not firing on all cylinders yet, by quite a margin. However we are building up a hefty points total. Other teams take note, Vale are slowly galvanising into a fully believable promotion squad. Once all players are fit, we will surely make this a season to remember....for the correct reasons.
  • Like 2

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So our leading scorer has scored twice and narrowly missed a hat-trick, we are bossing the game, and about to go 5th in the league with 3 wins on the bounce after a tricky away game at the bottom team

My birthday too. All the best👍

A pleasing result, a professional team performance, a win on the road and a clean sheet. It would have been easy to slip up and be complacent; although Southend are on a wretched run, even a blin

So 10 games is when we should look at the table and see if we have made progress or not from last season.

We have 6 points more than last season and are on the same points as Cheltenham in the last promotion place. 

Keep it up lads!

5 minutes ago, Doha said:

On reflection, what a cross from Worrall for the first. A better/braver keeper might have come out to claim it but it was flashed across perfectly. 

Good work for both goals really. Their defending wasn't great but they were under so much pressure they had to crack eventually. Decent effort from Vale for me. 

• Like 2

Advert:

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

So 10 games is when we should look at the table and see if we have made progress or not from last season.

We have 6 points more than last season and are on the same points as Cheltenham in the last promotion place. 

Keep it up lads!

Also beaten  2 of the 4 above us in that spell.

Great all round performance, special mentions though to Pope for his 2 goals, should have had his deserved hat trick. Superb game from Crooks I thought he was excellent today!

The midfield 3 played well, I do though get frustrated by their lack of composure at times, Misplaced passes and poor touches, but it all can’t be perfect and they all have amazing energy!

Amoo wanted a rest after about 70 mins, completely ran out of steam, he’s must not train too hard during the week...

One ask of Mr Legge, don’t dwell on the ball too much, the last 3 games he’s been caught a few times, namely of his own doing, against better teams we’ll get punished.

So great to see the boys up level pegging with 3rd place, carrying on where we left off from last season.

Rest up and we go again, I do worry we’ll see more Covid cases this next week in the team.

Wishing the lads well though and Pope clearly MOTM!

Advert:

13 hours ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

I am going to be slightly controversial. Three wins on the trot is is brilliant but I do not think we have quite clicked yet this season. We are grinding out results which is a good but I think there is so much more to come from this squad.

I totally agree, I think we can play much better. Despite what baggers was saying on the commentary yesterday I don’t think the Clark / Amoo combination has clicked like it did last year with Gibbo / Amoo (or Worrall). I think Clark was linking better last season too with Worrral on the left. I don’t think our midfield 3 are linking as well with those full backs and wingers either. So I’m a firm believe that we can get much better as an attacking force. That’s a good sign as well considering what points we have at this stage. Also bear in mind we still have Manny, Gibbo, McKirdy coming back from injury. (3 proven players at this level). On top of that we also have Robinson  Monty and Cullen who on their day can make a difference as well. The signs are good.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I totally agree, I think we can play much better. Despite what baggers was saying on the commentary yesterday I don’t think the Clark / Amoo combination has clicked like it did last year with Gibbo / Amoo (or Worrall). I think Clark was linking better last season too with Worrral on the left. I don’t think our midfield 3 are linking as well with those full backs and wingers either. So I’m a firm believe that we can get much better as an attacking force. That’s a good sign as well considering what points we have at this stage. Also bear in mind we still have Manny, Gibbo, McKirdy coming back from injury. (3 proven players at this level). On top of that we also have Robinson  Monty and Cullen who on their day can make a difference as well. The signs are good.

Good points, PV and a good argument for keeping Clark when Gibbo is back so we can start to build those partnerships down both flanks. I bet there are not many teams who are looking forward to playing us but we'd be even more formidable with Gibbo and Clark as our full backs. Listing the players currently missing is also a good reminder of the strength in depth JA has built into the squad.

• Like 1

Another 3 points in the bag. 2nd half we pushed much higher and passed the ball to work it out wide to cross rather than just hit long balls into Pope all the time.  Nice finishes from Pope for both goals he made it look so easy. Still the best player in the air at this level. I also thought Joyce and Wozza where absolutely superb yesterday with Crookes coming in and playing very well too. We look so much more threatening with Amoo back in the team and Wozza on the left.

Southend are the worst team I have seen in L2 for a few seasons and look doomed. I think we could have played all week and still don't think they would have created a chance to score.

Advert:

17 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Apart from 1993 when we had 89 points and missed out 

Just been pedantic mate but yes we are doing well. Just a pity Scunny is off as they were there for the taking

Just to be pedantic we went up automatically in ‘93!!! 😉

A great win at the Goldstone Ground secured promotion.

• Like 1

One thing I’ve been really pleased with over the last three games is how well we’ve closed games out. We’ve kept possession of the ball not allowing the opposition to gain any momentum. Unlike last season when we were guilty of panicking and inviting pressure on before conceding late. Orient, Mansfield, Scunthorpe, Salford to name a few.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

That was 94

West Brom at Wembley was 93 

Nice that Mr Bowers liked your post despite it being wrong he really has issues with me 

Season 93/94 to be precise which admittedly I should have put. 🙄

One thing for sure though I’d settle for 88pts this season! 👍