onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Southend United v Port Vale

Fosse69

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I totally agree, I think we can play much better. Despite what baggers was saying on the commentary yesterday I don’t think the Clark / Amoo combination has clicked like it did last year with Gibbo / Amoo (or Worrall). I think Clark was linking better last season too with Worrral on the left. I don’t think our midfield 3 are linking as well with those full backs and wingers either. So I’m a firm believe that we can get much better as an attacking force. That’s a good sign as well considering what points we have at this stage. Also bear in mind we still have Manny, Gibbo, McKirdy coming back from injury. (3 proven players at this level). On top of that we also have Robinson  Monty and Cullen who on their day can make a difference as well. The signs are good.

Good points, PV and a good argument for keeping Clark when Gibbo is back so we can start to build those partnerships down both flanks. I bet there are not many teams who are looking forward to playing us but we'd be even more formidable with Gibbo and Clark as our full backs. Listing the players currently missing is also a good reminder of the strength in depth JA has built into the squad.

Advert

Another 3 points in the bag. 2nd half we pushed much higher and passed the ball to work it out wide to cross rather than just hit long balls into Pope all the time.  Nice finishes from Pope for both goals he made it look so easy. Still the best player in the air at this level. I also thought Joyce and Wozza where absolutely superb yesterday with Crookes coming in and playing very well too. We look so much more threatening with Amoo back in the team and Wozza on the left.

Southend are the worst team I have seen in L2 for a few seasons and look doomed. I think we could have played all week and still don't think they would have created a chance to score.

17 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Apart from 1993 when we had 89 points and missed out 

Just been pedantic mate but yes we are doing well. Just a pity Scunny is off as they were there for the taking

Just to be pedantic we went up automatically in ‘93!!! 😉

A great win at the Goldstone Ground secured promotion.

One thing I’ve been really pleased with over the last three games is how well we’ve closed games out. We’ve kept possession of the ball not allowing the opposition to gain any momentum. Unlike last season when we were guilty of panicking and inviting pressure on before conceding late. Orient, Mansfield, Scunthorpe, Salford to name a few.

29 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

That was 94

West Brom at Wembley was 93 

Nice that Mr Bowers liked your post despite it being wrong he really has issues with me 

Season 93/94 to be precise which admittedly I should have put. 🙄

One thing for sure though I’d settle for 88pts this season! 👍

24 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

We now have 10 different League scorers. Contrast with Cambridge who only have 5. If Mullin gets injured they’re knackered. 

I was thinking the same thing. Last week in the post-match opinion piece I was mentioning how we've had "non-strikers" score the goals in two wins. Considering that Burgess/Conlon have only got one so far and could be good for double figures between them there's plenty of goals in this side.

13 minutes ago, jasmart02 said:

i think closing the game out is the biggest improvement on last season.

Yes I agree last season only felt happy when we were two goals up with two minuets left! Now you see that bit more of a professional  approach keeping the ball closing down  quickly all over the pitch, staying in the opposition corners! All very good to see ! Onwards and upwards !  

1 hour ago, robf said:

I was thinking the same thing. Last week in the post-match opinion piece I was mentioning how we've had "non-strikers" score the goals in two wins. Considering that Burgess/Conlon have only got one so far and could be good for double figures between them there's plenty of goals in this side.

Lets hope so Rob estimate we need 70 plus goals for automatic promotion.

Archived