Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

I thought the commentator was very good. Clearly put a lot of effort into his research.

The real question is what’s going on at RS that meant the usuals were all nowhere to be seen and Radio Wales were covering the <ovf censored> game? Very strange. 

Edited by Doha
  • Like 2

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a thread running stating Askey was a game away from being under real pressure. There were many more posts about Worrall needing to be dropped. He has always needed 5 or so games to get int

Would Liverpool have won the league without Salah and Mane?  Average Prem strikers don't get that many goals.  But that's not because they were lucky, it's because their scouting and recruitment  poli

Burgess much better. Good cameo from Pope. Worrall better as he was against Oldham. Amoo not on the pitch second half. Don't start Robinson again. 

Restrictions in Wales meant that they couldn't send their own commentary team down there.

A few others were having nights off, maybe Half Term had something to do with it?

Edited by Santa

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Excellent result

Smithy MOTM for me, absolute beast at the moment and impressive throughout.  Special mention for Burgess too, who in the last 2 games has lived up to the exceptionally high work rate / influence of last year, rather than him being a Macc cast off in the eyes of the ‘experts’ once more.  Wozza 2nd half - Wow!  Popey did well when joining the action, but think Robinson would have been judged more harshly on here if he had side footed that gilt edged chance from Burgesses cross against the post .

Excellent 2nd half and result, quality keeping and resilience first half.

onwards and upwards - off to Southend we go.

Smith is such a talent and I'm delighted that Carol persuaded him to sign another contract.He could well earn Vale a massive fee should anyone approach Vale later. He's as good as Shawcross was at his age.Top quality!!

• Like 2

A great three points against a team who will be there or thereabouts as they say.The first half was nothing to right home about but the gaffer seems to have told them a few home truths at half time which did the trick.Burgey,Wozza and Brownie stood out for me and we go into Saturdays game in search of our third win in a week.

Alert warning - Southend United have won 6 matches in their last 50 league games!!!

Advert:

31 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Smith is such a talent and I'm delighted that Carol persuaded him to sign another contract.He could well earn Vale a massive fee should anyone approach Vale later. He's as good as Shawcross was at his age.Top quality!!

Think he only signed for 12 months so not likely to get anything for him if he goes after the season.

On 25/10/2020 at 18:06, werstayinup said:

Over the last few games we have seemed to be excellent in the first half but then fade badly in the 2nd,we just need to get that going for most of the game then i can see us competing with anyone.

I am sure i have seen a stat somewhere that if we score first then we rarely lose under Askey but concede first then we rarely win....any stattos out there

Well that stat didn't last long eh Karl. Nice to see us turn a deficit around though 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

As per previous games. Without brown we would have lost. Average league 2 keepers don’t consistently make the saves that brown does and we are extremely lucky to have him 

But we have got Brown.

If we didn't have Legge or Worral would we have lost 1 nil?

That's what Brown is there for.

He's the best I've seen in this league since we came back down to it, certainly in terms of consistency. He's probably worth ten points on his own.

• Like 2

With Oyeleke being Oyeleke and Whitehead looking a bit meh (he has time to prove his worth still of course) it's great news for us if Burgess finds last seasons form again. I think he can get forward from our midfield better than any of the others and if you're not creating too much all the time, just having that extra body in and around the box can make a difference. My issue when it's Joyce, Conlon and Whitehead is that they are all incredibly slow. Burgess is hardly a speed merchant but he is capable of getting up and down. 

I also still believe that Pope is our best striker and should start most games, even if you're bringing him off after 60-65 minutes for one of Cullen or Robinson. Ask centre-backs who they would want to face the least out of those three and I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 would say Tom Pope.

Edited by TylerB

Advert:

40 minutes ago, TylerB said:

With Oyeleke being Oyeleke and Whitehead looking a bit meh (he has time to prove his worth still of course) it's great news for us if Burgess finds last seasons form again. I think he can get forward from our midfield better than any of the others and if you're not creating too much all the time, just having that extra body in and around the box can make a difference. My issue when it's Joyce, Conlon and Whitehead is that they are all incredibly slow. Burgess is hardly a speed merchant but he is capable of getting up and down. 

I also still believe that Pope is our best striker and should start most games, even if you're bringing him off after 60-65 minutes for one of Cullen or Robinson. Ask centre-backs who they would want to face the least out of those three and I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 would say Tom Pope.

Conlon certainly isn't slow. He's almost certainly quicker than Burgess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

Completely agree. 

Gayle is a freelance broadcaster. Considering it was his first time covering Vale, I’d say he did pretty well. 

I didnt think he was to bad tbf to him but i would far sooner have a vale fan doing it who has a bit of passion for the club,we always seem to get the none vale ones apart from Bowers like Blakeman,Sandoz and now this chap....at least McGarry(although i believe he started as a vale fan?) and Johnson sound passionate about their clubs when they commentate and score etc

Advert:

20 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Worrall played better once Fitzpatrick came on...  make of that what you will.

Worrall has to do more work covering Monty, that’s why more often than not he’s out on Montys side when he’s left back. 

I think we're a better side with Fitzgerald in it than without. He's a proper left-back and will allow the likes of Worrall or Montano to focus mostly on attacking. He'll rarely be man of the match but I don't see him as a weak link. Though if Gibbons was fit we would probably play Clark on the left and Gibbo on the right.