Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a thread running stating Askey was a game away from being under real pressure. There were many more posts about Worrall needing to be dropped. He has always needed 5 or so games to get int

Would Liverpool have won the league without Salah and Mane?  Average Prem strikers don't get that many goals.  But that's not because they were lucky, it's because their scouting and recruitment  poli

Burgess much better. Good cameo from Pope. Worrall better as he was against Oldham. Amoo not on the pitch second half. Don't start Robinson again. 

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

He was really t0ss. 😬

He annoyed me.  There keeper was awful at kicking and yet they kept praising him up.  He punched one and was practically declared a world beater.  Brown punched one far more convincingly and he said he parried rather than catched...  his commentary was OK with the pictures but if I wasn't watching his description of what was going on would not have been accurate at all.

However, we have upset Joe so yeh he was really good.  🙄

• Haha 1

Correction: after watching highlights back, Fitzpatrick partly to blame for goal, however, the defence generally lost their shape.
It all started with amoo not tracking back which left mitch 2 on 1 so they all had to move across. Just goes to show how important it is that the whole team stays switched on and works hard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

He annoyed me.  There keeper was awful at kicking and yet they kept praising him up.  He punched one and was practically declared a world beater.  Brown punched one far more convincingly and he said he parried rather than catched...  his commentary was OK with the pictures but if I wasn't watching his description of what was going on would not have been accurate at all.

However, we have upset Joe so yeh he was really good.  🙄

You're such a strange bloke.

7am, cornflakes still in the bowl, taking to the forums to lambast a bloke doing his job.

Weird, mate. Get a hobby.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I think it’s fair to say their Manager didn’t believe the result was the right one:-

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/we-were-soft-players-need-4645738

He’s probably right. They had chances 1st half to be out of sight but luckily we have brown and were good enough to take advantage of this second half. 

Theyre the first team I’ve seen so far where it’s clear they will be right in the promotion mix come the end of the season - no question. 

I notice there manager says the league is there for someone to go and take and they haven’t got out of 2nd gear yet. Think that’s something that can be directed at us as well. 

We definitely got away with this one!  But who cares? Sometimes you ride your luck (and in this case, good goalkeeping) and sometimes the only luck you get is...bad.  So I'll take these 3 points for sure and with thanks!

26 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

We definitely got away with this one!  But who cares? Sometimes you ride your luck (and in this case, good goalkeeping) and sometimes the only luck you get is...bad.  So I'll take these 3 points for sure and with thanks!

Football is mainly a game of two halves, especially in the first couple of months.  Full throttle in the first half to grab a lead or contain and strike in the latter stages, plans can come unstuck very easily, chances not taken etc. We have won and lost in both options already.  We will no doubt overrun some teams and lose and vice-versa.  Probably at the end of the season a six-pointer that we nicked.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

Completely agree. 

Gayle is a freelance broadcaster. Considering it was his first time covering Vale, I’d say he did pretty well. 

Me too - the guy kept focussed on the play all game. He did just fine.

• Like 2

Like many, I missed the first 35 minutes. Subsequently seen the saves, they were tremendous!
Also like many, I was very impressed with Burgess.
Conlon has a knack of winning and keeping possession that is very impressive.
Wozza was like a man possessed, and what a stunning goal!
We were up against a good team and got it together in the second half. Impressive.
Final word has to go to Tom Pope.
He was instrumental in knitting together the endeavours of the aforementioned high energy players.
He's still there and coming up with answers.
Some may mock this, but he reminds me of Harry Kane with his link up play.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Me too - the guy kept focussed on the play all game. He did just fine.

I felt he was balanced, probably because he's a neutral. No self giggling at his own tales or jokes.

Also Adam Yates knocks Sproson for six with considered opinion rather than continual negativity and ridiculous praise about  anything that may affect ' his ' players who he worships.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

It’s not lucky when our keeper is excellent. He’s just doing his job. It’s not lucky when our defenders do their jobs. The only lucky bit last night was when they hit the bar. 

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

It’s not lucky when our keeper is excellent. He’s just doing his job. It’s not lucky when our defenders do their jobs. The only lucky bit last night was when they hit the bar. 

As per previous games. Without brown we would have lost. Average league 2 keepers don’t consistently make the saves that brown does and we are extremely lucky to have him 

I thought it was a good game and they came to play not sit back. Yes, we were "lucky" with that little flurry they had on the 13th minute, although Browny was his usual brilliant self, but for the rest of the first half it was pretty even steven although I was on the edge of my seat. Second half after they scored I thought we were excellent to turn it around.

I agree with what  a lot have said on here because Popey made a big difference when he came on early enough to have an effect. He is Cheltenham's Bogey Man....they frighten their kids who won't go to sleep with the threat that Tom Pope is coming! I'll continue my "love in" of Smudge but he is something special at this level and his confidence seems to be improving as he strides out of defence with the ball sometimes....he must be horrible to play against. Unlike others I like Fitzpatrick at LB, he's an experienced defender who has a cultured left foot and to blame him for their goal is a bit harsh because it started over on the right and everyone got pulled over. I also like Monty but he's not that out and out defender we need at times.

Burgess and Wozza ran their proverbials off last night and looked really good. Cheltenham will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season I have no doubt but hopefully so will we.

You just know what is going to happen next at Southend don't you....? The joys of being Vale!

• Like 2

Excellent result

Smithy MOTM for me, absolute beast at the moment and impressive throughout.  Special mention for Burgess too, who in the last 2 games has lived up to the exceptionally high work rate / influence of last year, rather than him being a Macc cast off in the eyes of the ‘experts’ once more.  Wozza 2nd half - Wow!  Popey did well when joining the action, but think Robinson would have been judged more harshly on here if he had side footed that gilt edged chance from Burgesses cross against the post .

Excellent 2nd half and result, quality keeping and resilience first half.

onwards and upwards - off to Southend we go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

7am, cornflakes still in the bowl, taking to the forums to lambast a bloke doing his job.

I would have expected you to know the difference between critism and lambasting...  but then, you are easily outraged so perhaps not.

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

As per previous games. Without brown we would have lost. Average league 2 keepers don’t consistently make the saves that brown does and we are extremely lucky to have him 

Would Liverpool have won the league without Salah and Mane?  Average Prem strikers don't get that many goals.  But that's not because they were lucky, it's because their scouting and recruitment  policy is excellent.  Just like ours!  For me, luck is when you get a dodgy pen or have a stonewaller not given against you.  It's being the beneficiary of events which are nothing to do with your players.  Scott Brown is the best keeper in League Two.  The fact that we have got him to sign twice is not luck, it's just excellent recruitment.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

Not strange at all.  He was that bad at his job I was up at 5 still thinking about it, and don’t talk to me about breakfast, I’d have loved some but he’s ruined my appetite....😳

• Haha 1