Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Don’t not think Robinson is one of our better players at all. I’d actaully say he’s the weakest of our strikers. 

After 55 mins I thought his legs had gone, these games coming thick and fast really show just how fit some players are, Robo seems to be well short for this run of games.

I thought Pope did well in his hold up play, but really looks to have lost his legs, runs like he’s in treacle... but does a job, thought he could’ve scored 2 tonight after coming on.

Burgess, the lad has unbounded energy, Conlan and Worral the same tonight, great to see...

Not sure why Amoo changes from game to game, he goes from having the confidence to run and take players on, to cutting back inside and pass back... Askey really needs to just tell him get to the byline!

The defence without Monty for me will be better, showed that after he went off - wish him a speedy recovery though. It gives Amoo and Particularly Worral more license to stay forward.

Onward and upwards, smith and Legge awesome again!

• Like 1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a thread running stating Askey was a game away from being under real pressure. There were many more posts about Worrall needing to be dropped. He has always needed 5 or so games to get int

Would Liverpool have won the league without Salah and Mane?  Average Prem strikers don't get that many goals.  But that's not because they were lucky, it's because their scouting and recruitment  poli

Burgess much better. Good cameo from Pope. Worrall better as he was against Oldham. Amoo not on the pitch second half. Don't start Robinson again. 

The reason why its so frustrating watching vale is because we are more than good enough to beat any team in this league and why it takes 55 minutes to start playing is reallt annoying, a great result non the less and hopefully we can get a run going. Theo doesnt look up to starting to me offers very little pope changed the game when he came on. And my man worrall what a performance been saying how good he is for weeks 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 In all seriousness he showed the player he was last season from 55 mins onwards hopefully he will regain form again now - because pst two seasons hes been our best player. Perfomances up to tonight have been woeful so hopefully a turning point for him. UTV

20 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Thought he was at fault for the goal tonight. I much prefer Monty there adds goals and attacking play to the side. 

Fitz got caught ball watching but I don't think he'd have won that battle anyway.  The dream would be Gibbo at RB, Clarke at LB.  I prefer Clarke on the right but, if Gibbo were fit to play RB, of the potential LB's I'd choose Clarke.  I don't think Monty scored from full back last season.

The reason why its so frustrating watching vale is because we are more than good enough to beat any team in this league and why it takes 55 minutes to start playing 

No we are notWhat makes you think so? We cranked it up second half after 55 and got the result. 

2 hours ago, valiant steve said:

Who's the commentator? He doesn't seem to be able to speak properly, pronounce words or choose the correct words to reflect what's going on. Parry instead of punch as an example. Bit of an issue given what the role involves! 

He's better than the <ovf censored> ifollow though! 

He was t0ss wasn't he.

Be great if we could go one game without someone slagging off a commentator. 

Does it really matter? Let them live. I thought the lad today was fine.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Be great if we could go one game without someone slagging off a commentator. 

Does it really matter? Let them live. I thought the lad today was fine.

Completely agree. 

Gayle is a freelance broadcaster. Considering it was his first time covering Vale, I’d say he did pretty well. 

• Like 2

The thing is we are a club coming back from the back of oblivion. Everyone wants a return to the Glory days under JR. That is not going to happen.  Small steps.  Regain some respect move on up.  That will do for me.  Take some pleasure watching the games.  Vale are our club. And our win today gives us more pleasure than any fake Prem fan could ever imagine.  We are Vale because we love Vale. It is our family. It is our heritage.  

And we really care.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Completely agree. 

Gayle is a freelance broadcaster. Considering it was his first time covering Vale, I’d say he did pretty well. 

It's normally Bowers folk are slagging off.  Listening to Gayle just reinforced my belief that PB ain't as bad as some folk would have us believe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

It's normally Bowers folk are slagging off.  Listening to Gayle just reinforced my belief that PB ain't as bad as some folk would have us believe.

I’ve never understood why people slag Bowers off? He does his job well. He’s a Vale fan and passionate. What more do people want? 

• Like 6

Nine games into 19/20: 12 points (W3 D3 L3) nine goals scored, 12 conceded. 
Nine games into 20/21: 16 points (W5 D1 L3), 10 goals scored, seven conceded. 
Nice little stat. 

Think we didn’t win for a few games around this time too so could be even further ahead of last seasons marker in the next couple.

One positive is we’ve only drawn 1, whilst losing isn’t nice it’s better to win one lose one than draw 2 and we drew way too many last season which cost us so if we can keep it up all the better.

We are starting to click back into full gear now after a rough spell, Amoo is crucial, need to keep him fit so ideally get through Southend then maybe give him a break for the cup ties.

I thought bar the 30 second mad spell first half we defended well against them and had a couple of chances ourselves but were sloppy.

Their goal seemed to fire us up and once we equalised we looked the likely winners, nearly scored again seconds after our equaliser and then Pope coming on seemed to really push us on further, they hate playing him!

Disappointed in the end we didn’t take further chances to make it less edgy at the end and Pope was unlucky.

Hopefully we can keep the momentum going and don’t do our usual at Southend. Win there and we can go into the cup break buzzing. Shame the Scunthorpe game is off but on the flip side the break may do us some good after a lot of games and give us time to get Monty back and the likes of McKirdy and Manny.

Looked nervous and unsettled first half, especially in our passing. Also, rode our luck a bit as well, with them hitting the bar, chances just wide etc.

Second half, when Popey came on, we looked a far better team. Suddenly Wozza had more energy, the midfield started to boss the game more. Thought Burgess was back to last season’s form. Really good.

Have got to say that our equaliser seemed to really unsettle Cheltenham. However, up to that point, they looked a really good side. Probably the best I’ve seen so far this season. So, surely the signs are good if we are better these kind of teams.

If we are competing with and beating sides like Cheltenham, Salford and Exeter, then surely we should be there or thereabouts by the end of the season.

Regarding player performances, thought Worrall was great second half, Pope made a difference and will start on Saturday, Burgess was brilliant- worked hard and showed a bit of quality. Fitz was decent and disagree that he was at fault for their goal. Amoo seemed a bit tired and couldn’t impact the game as much tonight. Everyone else was fine.

We seem like we are starting to settle into some form.

UTV

Can't argue against beating Scholes Play thing and Cheltenham in succesive home games.

Only saw the 2nd half due to ifollow but it was a great half and also credit to them they came to win the game resulting in many a hairy moment.

Really good win, as others have said Worrall exceptional and well done to Burgess who was immense too.

As with Oldham, please Vale go at Southend from the off, bottom and in complete disarray, another 3 points are tantalisingly close if we are at it.