onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

It’s not lucky when our keeper is excellent. He’s just doing his job. It’s not lucky when our defenders do their jobs. The only lucky bit last night was when they hit the bar. 

As per previous games. Without brown we would have lost. Average league 2 keepers don’t consistently make the saves that brown does and we are extremely lucky to have him 

Advert

I thought it was a good game and they came to play not sit back. Yes, we were "lucky" with that little flurry they had on the 13th minute, although Browny was his usual brilliant self, but for the rest of the first half it was pretty even steven although I was on the edge of my seat. Second half after they scored I thought we were excellent to turn it around.

I agree with what  a lot have said on here because Popey made a big difference when he came on early enough to have an effect. He is Cheltenham's Bogey Man....they frighten their kids who won't go to sleep with the threat that Tom Pope is coming! I'll continue my "love in" of Smudge but he is something special at this level and his confidence seems to be improving as he strides out of defence with the ball sometimes....he must be horrible to play against. Unlike others I like Fitzpatrick at LB, he's an experienced defender who has a cultured left foot and to blame him for their goal is a bit harsh because it started over on the right and everyone got pulled over. I also like Monty but he's not that out and out defender we need at times.

Burgess and Wozza ran their proverbials off last night and looked really good. Cheltenham will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season I have no doubt but hopefully so will we.

You just know what is going to happen next at Southend don't you....? The joys of being Vale!

Excellent result

Smithy MOTM for me, absolute beast at the moment and impressive throughout.  Special mention for Burgess too, who in the last 2 games has lived up to the exceptionally high work rate / influence of last year, rather than him being a Macc cast off in the eyes of the ‘experts’ once more.  Wozza 2nd half - Wow!  Popey did well when joining the action, but think Robinson would have been judged more harshly on here if he had side footed that gilt edged chance from Burgesses cross against the post .

Excellent 2nd half and result, quality keeping and resilience first half.

onwards and upwards - off to Southend we go.

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

As per previous games. Without brown we would have lost. Average league 2 keepers don’t consistently make the saves that brown does and we are extremely lucky to have him 

Would Liverpool have won the league without Salah and Mane?  Average Prem strikers don't get that many goals.  But that's not because they were lucky, it's because their scouting and recruitment  policy is excellent.  Just like ours!  For me, luck is when you get a dodgy pen or have a stonewaller not given against you.  It's being the beneficiary of events which are nothing to do with your players.  Scott Brown is the best keeper in League Two.  The fact that we have got him to sign twice is not luck, it's just excellent recruitment.

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

You're such a strange bloke.

7am, cornflakes still in the bowl, taking to the forums to lambast a bloke doing his job.

Weird, mate. Get a hobby.

Not strange at all.  He was that bad at his job I was up at 5 still thinking about it, and don’t talk to me about breakfast, I’d have loved some but he’s ruined my appetite....😳

I thought the commentator was very good. Clearly put a lot of effort into his research.

The real question is what’s going on at RS that meant the usuals were all nowhere to be seen and Radio Wales were covering the <ovf censored> game? Very strange. 

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Excellent result

Smithy MOTM for me, absolute beast at the moment and impressive throughout.  Special mention for Burgess too, who in the last 2 games has lived up to the exceptionally high work rate / influence of last year, rather than him being a Macc cast off in the eyes of the ‘experts’ once more.  Wozza 2nd half - Wow!  Popey did well when joining the action, but think Robinson would have been judged more harshly on here if he had side footed that gilt edged chance from Burgesses cross against the post .

Excellent 2nd half and result, quality keeping and resilience first half.

onwards and upwards - off to Southend we go.

Smith is such a talent and I'm delighted that Carol persuaded him to sign another contract.He could well earn Vale a massive fee should anyone approach Vale later. He's as good as Shawcross was at his age.Top quality!!

A great three points against a team who will be there or thereabouts as they say.The first half was nothing to right home about but the gaffer seems to have told them a few home truths at half time which did the trick.Burgey,Wozza and Brownie stood out for me and we go into Saturdays game in search of our third win in a week.

Alert warning - Southend United have won 6 matches in their last 50 league games!!!

31 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Smith is such a talent and I'm delighted that Carol persuaded him to sign another contract.He could well earn Vale a massive fee should anyone approach Vale later. He's as good as Shawcross was at his age.Top quality!!

Think he only signed for 12 months so not likely to get anything for him if he goes after the season.

On 25/10/2020 at 18:06, werstayinup said:

Over the last few games we have seemed to be excellent in the first half but then fade badly in the 2nd,we just need to get that going for most of the game then i can see us competing with anyone.

I am sure i have seen a stat somewhere that if we score first then we rarely lose under Askey but concede first then we rarely win....any stattos out there

Well that stat didn't last long eh Karl. Nice to see us turn a deficit around though 👍

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

But we have got Brown.

If we didn't have Legge or Worral would we have lost 1 nil?

That's what Brown is there for.

He's the best I've seen in this league since we came back down to it, certainly in terms of consistency. He's probably worth ten points on his own.

With Oyeleke being Oyeleke and Whitehead looking a bit meh (he has time to prove his worth still of course) it's great news for us if Burgess finds last seasons form again. I think he can get forward from our midfield better than any of the others and if you're not creating too much all the time, just having that extra body in and around the box can make a difference. My issue when it's Joyce, Conlon and Whitehead is that they are all incredibly slow. Burgess is hardly a speed merchant but he is capable of getting up and down. 

I also still believe that Pope is our best striker and should start most games, even if you're bringing him off after 60-65 minutes for one of Cullen or Robinson. Ask centre-backs who they would want to face the least out of those three and I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 would say Tom Pope.

Archived