onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

Nine games into 19/20: 12 points (W3 D3 L3) nine goals scored, 12 conceded. 
Nine games into 20/21: 16 points (W5 D1 L3), 10 goals scored, seven conceded. 
Nice little stat. 

Think we didn’t win for a few games around this time too so could be even further ahead of last seasons marker in the next couple.

One positive is we’ve only drawn 1, whilst losing isn’t nice it’s better to win one lose one than draw 2 and we drew way too many last season which cost us so if we can keep it up all the better.

We are starting to click back into full gear now after a rough spell, Amoo is crucial, need to keep him fit so ideally get through Southend then maybe give him a break for the cup ties.

I thought bar the 30 second mad spell first half we defended well against them and had a couple of chances ourselves but were sloppy.

Their goal seemed to fire us up and once we equalised we looked the likely winners, nearly scored again seconds after our equaliser and then Pope coming on seemed to really push us on further, they hate playing him!

Disappointed in the end we didn’t take further chances to make it less edgy at the end and Pope was unlucky.

Hopefully we can keep the momentum going and don’t do our usual at Southend. Win there and we can go into the cup break buzzing. Shame the Scunthorpe game is off but on the flip side the break may do us some good after a lot of games and give us time to get Monty back and the likes of McKirdy and Manny.

Advert

Looked nervous and unsettled first half, especially in our passing. Also, rode our luck a bit as well, with them hitting the bar, chances just wide etc.

Second half, when Popey came on, we looked a far better team. Suddenly Wozza had more energy, the midfield started to boss the game more. Thought Burgess was back to last season’s form. Really good.

Have got to say that our equaliser seemed to really unsettle Cheltenham. However, up to that point, they looked a really good side. Probably the best I’ve seen so far this season. So, surely the signs are good if we are better these kind of teams.

If we are competing with and beating sides like Cheltenham, Salford and Exeter, then surely we should be there or thereabouts by the end of the season.

Regarding player performances, thought Worrall was great second half, Pope made a difference and will start on Saturday, Burgess was brilliant- worked hard and showed a bit of quality. Fitz was decent and disagree that he was at fault for their goal. Amoo seemed a bit tired and couldn’t impact the game as much tonight. Everyone else was fine.

We seem like we are starting to settle into some form.

UTV

Can't argue against beating Scholes Play thing and Cheltenham in succesive home games.

Only saw the 2nd half due to ifollow but it was a great half and also credit to them they came to win the game resulting in many a hairy moment.

Really good win, as others have said Worrall exceptional and well done to Burgess who was immense too.

As with Oldham, please Vale go at Southend from the off, bottom and in complete disarray, another 3 points are tantalisingly close if we are at it. 

Correction: after watching highlights back, Fitzpatrick partly to blame for goal, however, the defence generally lost their shape.
It all started with amoo not tracking back which left mitch 2 on 1 so they all had to move across. Just goes to show how important it is that the whole team stays switched on and works hard

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

He annoyed me.  There keeper was awful at kicking and yet they kept praising him up.  He punched one and was practically declared a world beater.  Brown punched one far more convincingly and he said he parried rather than catched...  his commentary was OK with the pictures but if I wasn't watching his description of what was going on would not have been accurate at all.

However, we have upset Joe so yeh he was really good.  🙄

You're such a strange bloke.

7am, cornflakes still in the bowl, taking to the forums to lambast a bloke doing his job.

Weird, mate. Get a hobby.

54 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I think it’s fair to say their Manager didn’t believe the result was the right one:-

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/we-were-soft-players-need-4645738

He’s probably right. They had chances 1st half to be out of sight but luckily we have brown and were good enough to take advantage of this second half. 

Theyre the first team I’ve seen so far where it’s clear they will be right in the promotion mix come the end of the season - no question. 

I notice there manager says the league is there for someone to go and take and they haven’t got out of 2nd gear yet. Think that’s something that can be directed at us as well. 

26 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

We definitely got away with this one!  But who cares? Sometimes you ride your luck (and in this case, good goalkeeping) and sometimes the only luck you get is...bad.  So I'll take these 3 points for sure and with thanks!

Football is mainly a game of two halves, especially in the first couple of months.  Full throttle in the first half to grab a lead or contain and strike in the latter stages, plans can come unstuck very easily, chances not taken etc. We have won and lost in both options already.  We will no doubt overrun some teams and lose and vice-versa.  Probably at the end of the season a six-pointer that we nicked.

Like many, I missed the first 35 minutes. Subsequently seen the saves, they were tremendous!
Also like many, I was very impressed with Burgess.
Conlon has a knack of winning and keeping possession that is very impressive.
Wozza was like a man possessed, and what a stunning goal!
We were up against a good team and got it together in the second half. Impressive.
Final word has to go to Tom Pope.
He was instrumental in knitting together the endeavours of the aforementioned high energy players.
He's still there and coming up with answers.
Some may mock this, but he reminds me of Harry Kane with his link up play.

22 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Me too - the guy kept focussed on the play all game. He did just fine.

I felt he was balanced, probably because he's a neutral. No self giggling at his own tales or jokes.

Also Adam Yates knocks Sproson for six with considered opinion rather than continual negativity and ridiculous praise about  anything that may affect ' his ' players who he worships.

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

We definitely got away with this one!  But who cares? Sometimes you ride your luck (and in this case, good goalkeeping) and sometimes the only luck you get is...bad.  So I'll take these 3 points for sure and with thanks!

It’s not lucky when our keeper is excellent. He’s just doing his job. It’s not lucky when our defenders do their jobs. The only lucky bit last night was when they hit the bar. 

Archived