OVF feature: Vale’s lack of cutting edge in the final third could potentially prove costly this season

Port Vale stadium entrance

It’s still very early days for Port Vale, and the League Two season is only seven games old, yet the same old problems in the final third continue to haunt John Askey’s side. Give or take one or two recent penalty concessions, the Valiants’ back-line has looked fairly assured so far this campaign, but the lack of […]

The post Vale’s lack of cutting edge in the final third could potentially prove costly this season appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

View the full article

This problem has now been with us for a number of seasons!  In the last campaign we recorded the lowest goal tally in the top half of the table. Being forced this season to follow our matches on-line via the BBC's website, I am struck by how much we appear to be completely shot-shy.  The stats for percentage possession generally favour us, so clearly we're not getting outplayed too much, but week after week, stats for shots/shots on target are totally favouring the opposition which is really disappointing and would underline our lack of cutting edge!  As the article says, defensively we are much above the average for this division, with our goals conceded stats as good as any team (again over recent seasons) so far.  I wish I could suggest a 'magic bullit' solution but I'm afraid that so far it's elluding me. The comment in the article regarding crosses may have a bearing, but I personally think it's also about confidence levels.  I should have thought (as can be seen with all the goals scored in The Premiership so far this season) that empty stadia and the lack of critical fans should be more reason for players to feel more free to have a go and shoot on sight without the danger of being crowd-derided? Anyone have more positive suggestions?