Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Grinded that result in the end. My heart went everytime they had a corner. 

Back four and Brown were solid again and Joyce/Conlon/Burgess did well in the middle.  So good to see Amoo back we've missed him massively 

Smith MOTM for me. Won everything and got a goal.

Even though the second half wasn't as good , we played some lovely football at times and some nice one touch passing. Much better then the old dinosaur hoofball style 

Great goal for Clark. If possible we should be signing him on a permanent deal. 

Bring on Tuesday night 

Edited by boslemportvale91
  • Like 1

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who criticise Vale,Oldham fans are very impressed with the Vale team,many stating they're the best team that they have played so far.Latics forum is the place for the praise.

He's got a busy day tomorrow.  Washing Askeys car apparently. 😂

I am just glad that Tyler's weekend hasn't been ruined. 😉

Posted Images

Yes, good and much needed result. Again though a drop in the 2nd half performance. This is not new and happened loads last year, but it is so obvious that we run out of steam 2nd half it is a mystery why Askey leaves it so late before changing it. Anyway, worked this time. Up the Vale!!!

11 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Phew. Really bad second half that though. Robinson ain’t the answer up top. Missing sitters again. Take the win though all be it against a really poor side. 

Didn't think we were that bad?

In the 87th minute, with it at 2-1, we were all over them, pushing for a third. They were going to give a reaction 2nd half and we managed it very well, with Clark's header off the line the only time we looked seriously ruffled.

Robinson isn't going to score loads but we look much better going forward with him there; links things up, takes good positions, and is an intelligent presser when it comes to cutting off passing lanes.

I've been fairly clear that we've been below par this season but today was a big improvement, in my pessimistic and cynical eyes. We created 6 clear cut chances first half, and teams who create good chances often do well.

• Like 1

I genuinely wasn't that fussed by the 2nd half. They were dire first half and 2-0 down; inevitable they'd come at us, and bar a clever flick from a corner, they struggled to really threaten. 

We did what was in our control pretty well; defended resolutely, restricted chances, and still posed a threat (to the extent where we looked most likely to score late on, Amoo missing from 6 yards out).

We're not going to absolutely dominate any side for 90 minutes, as it's League 2, players dip in and out of games (see Amoo and Conlon), but provided we have enough strong periods where we create good chances (as we did today), and defend well when we have off periods/the other team steps up (as we usually do), we'll do alright.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Didn't think we were that bad?

In the 87th minute, with it at 2-1, we were all over them, pushing for a third. They were going to give a reaction 2nd half and we managed it very well, with Clark's header off the line the only time we looked seriously ruffled.

Robinson isn't going to score loads but we look much better going forward with him there; links things up, takes good positions, and is an intelligent presser when it comes to cutting off passing lanes.

I've been fairly clear that we've been below par this season but today was a big improvement, in my pessimistic and cynical eyes. We created 6 clear cut chances first half, and teams who create good chances often do well.

Thought we were poor second half and were holding on. As I said all first half we were good and should have been 5/6 up. I agree first half excellent and should have been way ahead. For me Robinson is what I expected so far after his last spell at vale. Needs to be far more clinical. 

4 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Cant see anything other than a loss today under the <ovf censored> show askey- team at bottom going sit back agaisnt us 1:0 oldham stinks of it. Our team is devoid of pace and creativity to break through a team with 11 behind the ball

Sorry ...Missed that can you say it again ?

• Haha 1

Biggest thing for me today again is the finishing. It has to be far far better. 

We haven’t been creating chances and today we did and still failed to put them away. The forwards need to improve in front of goal. Still a really good win even against a really poor side that hopefully gets us up and running 

Better football today against a poor Oldham should have been well in front first half cannot wait for Gibbons to get back so we can switch Clarke to left back That was the weakness today Montano has not got a clue about being a full back but onwards and upwards and on to tuesday take 3 points off cheltenham and will be looking good.

1 minute ago, hamilboy said:

Better football today against a poor Oldham should have been well in front first half cannot wait for Gibbons to get back so we can switch Clarke to left back That was the weakness today Montano has not got a clue about being a full back but onwards and upwards and on to tuesday take 3 points off cheltenham and will be looking good.

Disagree. Monty is a good fullback. Defended well largely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some need to realise 2 halves of football will never be the same, you can't dominate a game for 90 mins. We just need to find a way to be more clinical when we are on top creating chances.

We did a job 2nd half in difficult conditions. Defend well and didn't allow them create anything 2nd half , only dangerous from corners.

Oldham may have only won 1 but they have scored lots of goals so far.

Not sure why people are getting down about the second half? They scored a goal off a corner (which should’ve been defended better) and apart from the shot off the line I didn’t think we were ever in any real danger? So not sure how we were hanging on!?

As much as Amoo made a big difference today, many of the players who'd underperformed upped their game too.  But I thought the biggest factor was the tempo we played at in the first half, which Oldham couldn't live with.  We couldn't sustain it over the 90mins and it allowed Oldham to come back into it more, having also been given a lift after they scored.  Despite this we still had decent chances to score a goal or two in that second half.  Overall no complaints from me, an entertaining game in terrible conditions.

• Like 3