onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Nobody wants to shut down criticism, Joe, but what I find annoying is criticism purely on the basis of the result and ignoring the performance. 

To be fair some of the performances have been below what we'd come to expect at the tail end of last season, both individually and collectively, so I don't think fans are ignoring the performances as such, rather certain fans have formed a judgement on how the team are going to fare over the whole season based on a handful of games.   Also, based on the same few games, certain fans have also decided that the manager is no good.  I could understand this if we'd been smashed in every game, but clearly this hasn't been the case.  It's an open forum and you're going to get the whole spectrum of opinion.  Cup half full, cup half empty.

45 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

To be fair some of the performances have been below what we'd come to expect at the tail end of last season, both individually and collectively, so I don't think fans are ignoring the performances as such, rather certain fans have formed a judgement on how the team are going to fare over the whole season based on a handful of games.   Also, based on the same few games, certain fans have also decided that the manager is no good.  I could understand this if we'd been smashed in every game, but clearly this hasn't been the case.  It's an open forum and you're going to get the whole spectrum of opinion.  Cup half full, cup half empty.

Spot on!Let's judge after 46 games in a strange season☺

19 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Spot on!Let's judge after 46 games in a strange season

Strange times for us fans but strange times for the players too. I don't think you can understate this, it really is totally unlike any other.  COVID has affected everything for teams, pre-season, squad size and playing budget, day to day training, team selection, game frequency, etc etc, the list goes on.  Add to this no fans in grounds.  I think this is massive for teams like Vale who have decent, vocal support home and away.

I think this season, more than ever, requires fans to be more patient when things aren't going well.   I also think a bit more luck than usual will be required if we are to achieve our goal.

Not sure why I'm being called out by a few. 😄

I like a good whinge. But I've not once said that Askey should go or anything like. I haven't been impressed at times with his team selections or his subs this season and I've called them out, it's just an opinion. I like the bloke and he's a breath of fresh air compared to Neil Aspin. I've also criticised Worrall for being nowhere near his best so far this season, but I'm happy to give him credit today as he was much better and more like what we should expect from him. But as one of our better and senior players I don't think he's beyond criticism when he's not at it for a few games.

The biggest concern for me so far this season, more than results, has been the lack of chances created game after game. But today was much better and it's no coincidence that Amoo was starting his first game. If people want me to eat humble pie I'll happily get it down me with a side order of 3 points!

The manager gave us all a bit of a clue about Wozza in his post match comments.

He prefers the left side.

Makes sense, as he can cut inside.

So it could be argued that this has been a factor in his being slightly below par, especially as he was reportedly back to his best yesterday.

11 hours ago, Conrad said:

Robinson didn’t miss a sitter, it was a great block from the defender, if a striker gets a good shot on target and the keeper makes a fantastic save or a defender makes a great block then there’s not much more he can do.

In all fairness Conrad the defender shouldn’t get near it , it was a sitter 

On 24/10/2020 at 20:06, Jacko51 said:

Nobody wants to shut down criticism, Joe, but what I find annoying is criticism purely on the basis of the result and ignoring the performance. 

It’s not just been based on the result that has it?

We were really poor against Harrogate, morcambe, Carlisle and not good enough 2nd half at Cambridge. There have been quite clear errors that fans have picked up on. It’s not been criticism because of the result at all. Every post I’ve seen critiquing has been made fairly. It’s true in games the formation and team selections have been wrong, the style of football with a small striker up top alone and the non exsistent substitutions. Every poor result hasn’t just been criticised because we lost it has been correctly due to the performance. 

That is also the same of when we have won. Posters including me getting stick as usual on Saturday. And mental posts saying things such as ‘where are the Worrall bashers now’. 

For me generally posters have criticised correctly when we have been poor and also praised correctly when we have played well. 

Archived