onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

29 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Match fit not physically fit, you need games for that. Anyway, Burgess was fine today. I felt Robinson didn’t look match fit though. 

Didn’t look match fit? Fatigue crept in during the second half, but that’s understandable considering how much game time he’s had recently. 

Advert

Robinson is the man to persevere with. 

No point continually chopping and changing, goals will come. 

Weirdly I didn't notice Burgess that much which means he went about his job and was quietly effective. 

Very good to see us out of the blocks from the off. 

Looks like Mr Kewell will struggle to hold this job down for long too , be playing Notts County next season which will be nice for him. 

The big black guy from their midfield really impressed me, anything decent he was involved 

57 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

For those who criticise Vale,Oldham fans are very impressed with the Vale team,many stating they're the best team that they have played so far.Latics forum is the place for the praise.

2nd week in a row that’s now happened.

Unfortunately it means nothing to some on here.

As Popey said in his article, the performances are starting to gel and improve.

WE WILL HAVE UPS AND DOWNS... can we all just agree not to have a Brain fart meltdown whenever we next lose.

Whilst I'm pleased with today, can we stick the logic that has been put forward on this forum over the last few weeks, and 'not get carried away with one result' and 'give it X number of games'?

Same people shutting down any (imo justified) criticism of our start based on a small sample size are tonight victory lapping, with 8 games seemingly being the acceptable time to form judgements, as opposed to 7 games or fewer, possibly as this result supports their views and the previous result didn't (also known as cognitive bias).

If we're going to shut down criticism on the basis of giving it time, let's also hold back on the 'TylerB looks a right fool tonight!' and the 'where are the player X haters this evening?' business on the basis of giving it time too. 

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Whilst I'm pleased with today, can we stick the logic that has been put forward on this forum over the last few weeks, and 'not get carried away with one result' and 'give it X number of games'?

Same people shutting down any (imo justified) criticism of our start based on a small sample size are tonight victory lapping, with 8 games seemingly being the acceptable time to form judgements, as opposed to 7 games or fewer, possibly as this result supports their views and the previous result didn't (also known as cognitive bias).

If we're going to shut down criticism on the basis of giving it time, let's also hold back on the 'TylerB looks a right fool tonight!' and the 'where are the player X haters this evening?' business on the basis of giving it time too. 

Nobody wants to shut down criticism, Joe, but what I find annoying is criticism purely on the basis of the result and ignoring the performance. 

Im a bit lost with both the "Robinson isn't the man" and "they were the better team second half" narratives.

It was probably Robinson's best game in vale shirt for me and if it wasn't for Piergiani heading it onto the crossbar he'd have had at least one today.

Overall I thought we contained what little they offered from start to finish. Maybe slightly shaky at corners but overall as soon as the second goal went in it was clear to see we'd win it.

24 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Nobody wants to shut down criticism, Joe, but what I find annoying is criticism purely on the basis of the result and ignoring the performance. 

That's fair.

That said, there have been a few games in which performance and result were sub-standard.

I'm still not sure about this season. I'm happy to let it play out but it seems many on here are keen, either way, to make big conclusions when in reality we've been fairly inconsistent on a game by game basis, both performance and results-wise.

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

That's fair.

That said, there have been a few games in which performance and result were sub-standard.

I'm still not sure about this season. I'm happy to let it play out but it seems many on here are keen, either way, to make big conclusions when in reality we've been fairly inconsistent on a game by game basis, both performance and results-wise.

I thought against Salford we were better than at Morecambe. At Cambridge we were better than Salford in the first half and today we were as good as we’ve been all season. Performance and result together in sync!

From what I heard on the radio, another decent performance by Vale. Especially the first half. Sounded, at times, a bit scary when crosses were coming in second half and they seemed to improve slightly. However, even then it sounded like we had plenty of chances to see them off.

I’ll watch the match in full tomorrow and comment then.

I still feel, and even more so now, that we have enough quality and strength in depth to be around the top 7 at the business end of the season.

As an overview we’ve played 5 of the current top 8, or something like that and we haven’t done too badly. I understand that football isn’t played on paper but we do have a great squad. Hopefully soon we’ll start scoring more regularly when chances come. We seemed to dominate Oldham at times and there are a lot of teams in our league who are clearly inferior to us.

I like to try and be optimistic about Vale (but not blind to any problems) and can see that some of our defeats are uncharacteristic. Morecambe - dodgy penalty, Carlisle - wrong tactically - Askey won’t make that mistake again. Cambridge- out scored but not out played. 

The win felt great today and just wish we could be in the ground on Tuesday.

Come on Vale!

A starting XI that most would have picked were absolutely terrific in the first half causing Oldham no end of trouble and were well worth a two goal lead. Amoo was outstanding and showed us all what we've been missing. Second half was a different game mainly because Oldham made changes to combat our wide men. It was much more even and both teams had chances so I'm not sure where all this negative about the second half is coming from. A throughly deserved win with a lot of excellent performances. Especially pleased to see a return to form for Scott Burgess who has struggled this season and been in and out of the team. He played much better and one ball in particular to Worrell out wide was a thing of beauty. 

Archived