onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

1 minute ago, TheSage said:

Agreed.

A much needed three points and overall well deserved.

Delighted. Think I'll open a bottle.

Yep, I thought that we were great first half, and if we'd taken our chances we would have been out of sight.  Their goal early in the second changed things but I thought we still looked decent and made some openings.

I may have a drink too.

Good 1st half with some nice football - just not clinical enough to finish the game off. Defended well, they never really looked like scoring other than from corners. We need to stay switched on though at the beginning of the halves - don't want to see that creeping into our game again like.

I thought Amoo was brilliant 1st half, every time he had the ball created something and was fouled. Showed exactly what we have been missing and is our difference maker.

Wozza was superb today, best game of the season for him. His delivery from corners today where 1st class. 

The midfield balance was also much better with Conlon playing as the 10, although I do find him frustrating dwelling on the ball too long. Back to basics playing the same team which essentially finished last season bar Theo and we look like a good side again. Hopefully we can build some confidence from this result and the 1st half play and we see more of this Vale for the rest of the season.

Much better. Performance most important. We looked like we could create.

6 good chances first half.

Amoo is absolutely fundamental, able to get to the byline and deliver some excellent crosses with a lot of pace on them. Don't fancy hearing criticism of him again for trivial matters like 'lazy and doesn't like a tackle'. We looked a different attacking team today with him in the side.

Worrall is much better off the left. Robinson won't score 20 but is a clever forward, a good presser and able to link things up.

Again, Burgess shows his worth. Allows Conlon freedom to roam and sticks to his job well, never losing the ball and switching the play excellently on occasion.

Smith was superb too, and Clark is simply too good for League 2.

Pleased. Oldham were largely fair poor (bar a spell in the second half) but we needed a game where we showed we could create chances without Oyeleke. Today was evidence of that.

Grinded that result in the end. My heart went everytime they had a corner. 

Back four and Brown were solid again and Joyce/Conlon/Burgess did well in the middle.  So good to see Amoo back we've missed him massively 

Smith MOTM for me. Won everything and got a goal.

Even though the second half wasn't as good , we played some lovely football at times and some nice one touch passing. Much better then the old dinosaur hoofball style 

Great goal for Clark. If possible we should be signing him on a permanent deal. 

Bring on Tuesday night 

Yes, good and much needed result. Again though a drop in the 2nd half performance. This is not new and happened loads last year, but it is so obvious that we run out of steam 2nd half it is a mystery why Askey leaves it so late before changing it. Anyway, worked this time. Up the Vale!!!

11 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Phew. Really bad second half that though. Robinson ain’t the answer up top. Missing sitters again. Take the win though all be it against a really poor side. 

Didn't think we were that bad?

In the 87th minute, with it at 2-1, we were all over them, pushing for a third. They were going to give a reaction 2nd half and we managed it very well, with Clark's header off the line the only time we looked seriously ruffled.

Robinson isn't going to score loads but we look much better going forward with him there; links things up, takes good positions, and is an intelligent presser when it comes to cutting off passing lanes.

I've been fairly clear that we've been below par this season but today was a big improvement, in my pessimistic and cynical eyes. We created 6 clear cut chances first half, and teams who create good chances often do well.

I genuinely wasn't that fussed by the 2nd half. They were dire first half and 2-0 down; inevitable they'd come at us, and bar a clever flick from a corner, they struggled to really threaten. 

We did what was in our control pretty well; defended resolutely, restricted chances, and still posed a threat (to the extent where we looked most likely to score late on, Amoo missing from 6 yards out).

We're not going to absolutely dominate any side for 90 minutes, as it's League 2, players dip in and out of games (see Amoo and Conlon), but provided we have enough strong periods where we create good chances (as we did today), and defend well when we have off periods/the other team steps up (as we usually do), we'll do alright.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Didn't think we were that bad?

In the 87th minute, with it at 2-1, we were all over them, pushing for a third. They were going to give a reaction 2nd half and we managed it very well, with Clark's header off the line the only time we looked seriously ruffled.

Robinson isn't going to score loads but we look much better going forward with him there; links things up, takes good positions, and is an intelligent presser when it comes to cutting off passing lanes.

I've been fairly clear that we've been below par this season but today was a big improvement, in my pessimistic and cynical eyes. We created 6 clear cut chances first half, and teams who create good chances often do well.

Thought we were poor second half and were holding on. As I said all first half we were good and should have been 5/6 up. I agree first half excellent and should have been way ahead. For me Robinson is what I expected so far after his last spell at vale. Needs to be far more clinical. 

4 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Cant see anything other than a loss today under the <ovf censored> show askey- team at bottom going sit back agaisnt us 1:0 oldham stinks of it. Our team is devoid of pace and creativity to break through a team with 11 behind the ball

Sorry ...Missed that can you say it again ?

Biggest thing for me today again is the finishing. It has to be far far better. 

We haven’t been creating chances and today we did and still failed to put them away. The forwards need to improve in front of goal. Still a really good win even against a really poor side that hopefully gets us up and running 

Archived