onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

Amoo to start if he's fit put Worrall on the left where he was more effective last year and drop monty to left back as I feel that's where he's more creative as for midfield anyone but Whitehead because from what I've seen so far he's not fit enough or quick thinking enough to play league football

Advert

Although for me Fitz has done ok i wonder if Askey will be tempted to put Mills in at RB and Clark LB,both of whom are decent at getting forward.

I think like all of us i love Worrall and he has been fantastic for the club but for whatever reason he seems to be lacking in form at the moment and maybe in need of a couple of games on the bench which i do think would of happened if everyone had been fit(amoo and mckirdy). Lets hope for a win today and then on to Tuesday with a bit more confidence.

With having a busy week at work, I’ve only just watched the full game against Cambridge.

Generally, thought we looked comfortable in possession and on the odd occasion managed to get the ball out wide to make a decent cross into the box. Maybe on another day Monty would have scored the header and Theo’s shot not blocked on the line and Whitehead would have scored his volley to score the goal of the season. All if and buts - I know.

However, I feel at times we are a bit pedestrian around the opposition box. Defenders and defences thrive when the forward play is slow and predictable. Need more movement, pace around their box as well as getting down the wing more. Someone from midfield needs to make runs beyond our forward in order to give their defenders something to think about. Also, any runs beyond the forward, runs down the wing need to be met with quicker ‘forward’ passes. We certainly have the players to do this, especially when everyone is fit.

Like Morecambe, Cambridge, at times, defended really deep with two banks of 4. It is difficult to break down. This is why comments I’ve made above need implementing.

I still feel optimistic about our chances this season after watching this game. We played a decent Cambridge side and matched them apart from finishing on the night.

Surely soon chances will start going in and our confidence will grow. Let’s hope it starts today. 

UTV

3 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

With having a busy week at work, I’ve only just watched the full game against Cambridge.

Generally, thought we looked comfortable in possession and on the odd occasion managed to get the ball out wide to make a decent cross into the box. Maybe on another day Monty would have scored the header and Theo’s shot not blocked on the line and Whitehead would have scored his volley to score the goal of the season. All if and buts - I know.

However, I feel at times we are a bit pedestrian around the opposition box. Defenders and defences thrive when the forward play is slow and predictable. Need more movement, pace around their box as well as getting down the wing more. Someone from midfield needs to make runs beyond our forward in order to give their defenders something to think about. Also, any runs beyond the forward, runs down the wing need to be met with quicker ‘forward’ passes. We certainly have the players to do this, especially when everyone is fit.

Like Morecambe, Cambridge, at times, defended really deep with two banks of 4. It is difficult to break down. This is why comments I’ve made above need implementing.

I still feel optimistic about our chances this season after watching this game. We played a decent Cambridge side and matched them apart from finishing on the night.

Surely soon chances will start going in and our confidence will grow. Let’s hope it starts today. 

UTV

IMO that’s the biggest difference between  leagues 1 and 2 and the championship and the prem. speed.

theres lots of good players in the lower leagues who, if they could do what they do quicker, would be in the top two leagues.

5 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Completely agree. I think the player we have best suited to getting into those positions is Conlon, but he seems to prefer to be on the ball rather than running beyond it. 

I think Whitehead has both put a shift in in midfield and got himself into a number of goalscoring positions, perhaps more so than any other Vale player in the last couple of games. He’s skied / scuffed / dribbled them to the keeper so far but if that’s part of a process of getting match fit  he might start sticking them away which would be an important contribution.

It's that bit of flair and guile that we currently lack in the final third. Most teams do at our level which is why players like Eagles, Dodds (in his prime), etc. are so well regarded. We miss Taylor. If we can get more out of our 2 attacking midfield players and wingers we'll do better because all our central strikers are proven scorers at this level (Cullen, Pope & Theo) but they can't score unless we give them the ball in the right areas and burst a blood vessel getting close to them and lending them some support instead of leaving them isolated and outnumbered. Theo has done ok of late but we have missed Pope's ability to keep possession and hold up the ball.

When did a midfielder last score off a header from a cross? Or consistently run past our centre forward and get into the box? We have to do more in that final third - play a bit higher up the pitch and tell these forward players to go at their men and commit to getting in and around the box far more often. Forwards and not backwards and sideways. It's easy on paper but harder in reality. I'm sure Askey knows where we are lacking at present.

I'd love to see Amoo and Oyeleke back in the team asap. Both could give us something different and the competition should shake up one or two.

Fingers crossed for today. Team news in half an hour.

We need a win desperately today. The problem with this season is that it’s entirely possible that it could finish like the last one if the situation doesn’t improve ie on a PPG basis or similar. Therefore every game is important, and whereas before we’ve heard the “give Askey time, he’ll sort it out” we can’t say for certain that all 46 fixtures will be fulfilled. 

In terms of line-up, I don’t for one minute think he’ll do this but I’d go:-

Brown

Brisley-Legge-Smith

Clark-Worrall-Joyce-Conlon-Monty

Theo-Pope

This assumes that Amoo, McKirdy and Manny aren’t fit. The full-backs should play in advanced positions and get balls into the box at every opportunity, and Worrall should be the advanced midfielder. Rodney then to come on 2nd half to be a ball carrier.

Football can be complex, but the basic tenets remain. Good teams:

1. Have an organised defensive shape

2. Have runners going beyond the opposition back line when in possession.

We have number 1, but not number 2. I don't know how we solve this. Amoo will help. 

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Football can be complex, but the basic tenets remain. Good teams:

1. Have an organised defensive shape

2. Have runners going beyond the opposition back line when in possession.

We have number 1, but not number 2. I don't know how we solve this. Amoo will help. 

Totally agree. He’ll be starting today. 

Archived