Jump to content

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Port Vale


Recommended Posts

I heard a guy on Radio Stoke last night saying if it hadn’t been for Brown we wouldn’t have won a match. I think it’s fair to say that most clubs would struggle to win without a goalkeeper!  If it hadn’t been for Mullens last night we’d have won 1-0. Daft to say stuff like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The expectancy coming into this season is adding much unneeded pressure to a relatively steady start.  Just seen this stat on Twitter: After Matchday 7 19/20: 9 points (W2 D3 L2) 8 For, 10 A

Some cold hard facts... I'm not putting forward a defence of Askey here, because I do think he is slow to make changes and we need a plan B. However, the fact are: After 7 games  (3 short of

Player of the Year last year.  Yes he struggled early this year but I thought he's been improving in the last couple of games.  I just think some of the criticism has been a bit OTT.  He always gives

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I heard a guy on Radio Stoke last night saying if it hadn’t been for Brown we wouldn’t have won a match. I think it’s fair to say that most clubs would struggle to win without a goalkeeper!  If it hadn’t been for Mullens last night we’d have won 1-0. Daft to say stuff like that. 

It’s quite clear what he means... 

if we didn’t have the best keeper in the league we wouldn’t have as many points as we do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fair point in most games Brown is having to work harder than the opposition goalie. We are not creating enough good goalscoring chances. If we are to start scoring 2 goals in a game, not an unreasonable objective, we need to be creating 5/6 decent chances.

It’s quite clear what he means... 
if we didn’t have the best keeper in the league we wouldn’t have as many points as we do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

It’s quite clear what he means... 

if we didn’t have the best keeper in the league we wouldn’t have as many points as we do. 

Still a daft comment to make though. Another keeper may have saved the ones Brown didn’t, it’s all swings and roundabouts and what ifs and more often than not we focus on things that didn’t happen or might have happened instead of things that do. 

 

Edited by PV1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Still a daft comment to make though. Another keeper may have saved the ones Brown didn’t, it’s all swings and roundabouts and what ifs and more often than not we focus on things that didn’t happen or might have happened instead of things that do. 

 

I don’t think it is a daft comment. It’s like Liverpool saying how many more points they got last season because of Alison in nets. If we had an average league 2 keeper we would have had less points. There is no question about that. Not many keepers makes saves as brown did against Exeter to keep the win and then a good penalty save against Salford. I think brown gains us 10+ points a season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

It’s quite clear what he means... 

if we didn’t have the best keeper in the league we wouldn’t have as many points as we do. 

But we do have the best keeper in the league just as Cambridge currently have the best striker. They are both simply doing what they get paid for. I don’t see the fact that we have the best keeper is a reason to criticise the team. And to be honest, from what I’ve seen of Visser, if Brown wasn’t there I doubt we’d be worse off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

But we do have the best keeper in the league just as Cambridge currently have the best striker. They are both simply doing what they get paid for. I don’t see the fact that we have the best keeper is a reason to criticise the team. And to be honest, from what I’ve seen of Visser, if Brown wasn’t there I doubt we’d be worse off. 

I agree, but I do see understand what he meant. With an average keeper we wouldn’t have the points tally we do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I agree, but I do see understand what he meant. With an average keeper we wouldn’t have the points tally we do 

And if Cambridge had an average striker they wouldn’t be top of the league. And if my auntie had a todger she’d be my uncle. If if if. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Vale at home said:

I Do Agree . You Talk a Lot of common sense .   I also would like to see 2 striker. I do hope we can get  a  Good result on Saturday . Ag Oldham .  It would get Vale back on Track .  Come on The Vale . 

Id be extremely surprised to see 1 more striker when we already have 4 to chose from when fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I don’t think it is a daft comment. It’s like Liverpool saying how many more points they got last season because of Alison in nets. If we had an average league 2 keeper we would have had less points. There is no question about that. Not many keepers makes saves as brown did against Exeter to keep the win and then a good penalty save against Salford. I think brown gains us 10+ points a season 

Of course there’s a question about it. How do you know another keeper wouldn’t have made the same saves or not? With another keeper in goal the games would pan out differently anyway because no same player would make the same decisions that happened during a game. You could swing the argument the other way and say if we had a better keeper in he might have saved the Cambridge and morecambe penos. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

How do you know another keeper wouldn’t have made the same saves or not? 

The control group in this experiment is Santos, Fasan, Mehmet, Lainton, Boot, Evtimov... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Please don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy