onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Guest Vale at home
19 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

We weren't outplayed or out fought last night which is why Askey was pleased with the performance. However we were out scored and that is what really counts.  Cambridge have a striker in Mullins who has scored 10 goals already this season and looks like he is scoring for fun.  Askey is going for a tight defence and hoping to nick a goal as we lack a prolific striker. We cant complain if we leak a goal a game, even with Brown on fire that's a good average for a League 2 defence. This means we need to score 2 goals a game to win, not outrageous if we are to get promoted. Dont see that happening with 1 striker. If Theo played every game this season would expect him to score 15 goals max, he scored 13 last season so that leaves a hell of alot of goals to be scored elsewhere. Got to be 2 up front for me, we aren't creating enough chances and when we do 2 centre halfs snuff out our lone striker. 

I Do Agree . You Talk a Lot of common sense .   I also would like to see 2 striker. I do hope we can get  a  Good result on Saturday . Ag Oldham .  It would get Vale back on Track .  Come on The Vale . 

Advert

48 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

We weren't outplayed or out fought last night which is why Askey was pleased with the performance. However we were out scored and that is what really counts.  Cambridge have a striker in Mullins who has scored 10 goals already this season and looks like he is scoring for fun. 

Exactly.  Mullins is going through one of those phases where if he fell over in the box the ball would deflect off his backside into the net. 

Not sure if this is correct or not but somebody told me today we actually have more points now than at the same stage last season??

We had 9 points at this stage last season, 2 wins, 3 draws 2 defeats. We only picked up 4 points from the next 4 games also. So couple of wins in the next 4 and we would be well ahead of last seasons marker.

11 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

We had 9 points at this stage last season, 2 wins, 3 draws 2 defeats. We only picked up 4 points from the next 4 games also. So couple of wins in the next 4 and we would be well ahead of last seasons marker.

Every season is different though. For example are we likely to lose 2 in about 15 like we did last time and go on a lengthy unbeaten run as per the curtailed season.

All conjecture. You can't get away from the fact that we have 4 points from 15 and are way below the standards we are/ were capable of. 

vis Worrall, it is not that he's been crap. Just not up to the high standards he set last season. Which you could say for a couple. However you look at it we have been disappointing so far given the pre-season dealings we had. Not reaching for the suicide pill, and plenty of time to turn things around. But I think it is reasonable to say that so far we have been a bit below par.

40 minutes ago, toyahw said:

vis Worrall, it is not that he's been crap. Just not up to the high standards he set last season. Which you could say for a couple. However you look at it we have been disappointing so far given the pre-season dealings we had. Not reaching for the suicide pill, and plenty of time to turn things around. But I think it is reasonable to say that so far we have been a bit below par.

I would disagree with "a bit below par" but not some of the suicidal Askey Out stuff I've read and heard.

Our general play is, at times more than decent,  for L2 standards,  unfortunately there are also too many  times when collectively we resort to extended periods of playing aimless balls to isolated forwards. When we do advance in to threatening areas we are being undone by a combination of poor quality, but more crucially poor decision making. In all our games where we make any number of chances, the glaring observation is when we compare the times that we make the opposition goalkeeper work, compared to how many times that Brown has bailed us out, even in games that we've got a result in and that's with our much lauded defence. 

I heard a guy on Radio Stoke last night saying if it hadn’t been for Brown we wouldn’t have won a match. I think it’s fair to say that most clubs would struggle to win without a goalkeeper!  If it hadn’t been for Mullens last night we’d have won 1-0. Daft to say stuff like that. 

56 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I heard a guy on Radio Stoke last night saying if it hadn’t been for Brown we wouldn’t have won a match. I think it’s fair to say that most clubs would struggle to win without a goalkeeper!  If it hadn’t been for Mullens last night we’d have won 1-0. Daft to say stuff like that. 

It’s quite clear what he means... 

if we didn’t have the best keeper in the league we wouldn’t have as many points as we do. 

It's a fair point in most games Brown is having to work harder than the opposition goalie. We are not creating enough good goalscoring chances. If we are to start scoring 2 goals in a game, not an unreasonable objective, we need to be creating 5/6 decent chances.

if we didn’t have the best keeper in the league we wouldn’t have as many points as we do. 

7 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Still a daft comment to make though. Another keeper may have saved the ones Brown didn’t, it’s all swings and roundabouts and what ifs and more often than not we focus on things that didn’t happen or might have happened instead of things that do. 

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Still a daft comment to make though. Another keeper may have saved the ones Brown didn’t, it’s all swings and roundabouts and what ifs and more often than not we focus on things that didn’t happen or might have happened instead of things that do. 

I don’t think it is a daft comment. It’s like Liverpool saying how many more points they got last season because of Alison in nets. If we had an average league 2 keeper we would have had less points. There is no question about that. Not many keepers makes saves as brown did against Exeter to keep the win and then a good penalty save against Salford. I think brown gains us 10+ points a season 

10 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

But we do have the best keeper in the league just as Cambridge currently have the best striker. They are both simply doing what they get paid for. I don’t see the fact that we have the best keeper is a reason to criticise the team. And to be honest, from what I’ve seen of Visser, if Brown wasn’t there I doubt we’d be worse off. 

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

But we do have the best keeper in the league just as Cambridge currently have the best striker. They are both simply doing what they get paid for. I don’t see the fact that we have the best keeper is a reason to criticise the team. And to be honest, from what I’ve seen of Visser, if Brown wasn’t there I doubt we’d be worse off. 

I agree, but I do see understand what he meant. With an average keeper we wouldn’t have the points tally we do 

Archived