onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Port Vale

Fosse69

I thought they looked a decent side going forward at times, but made too many mistakes for me. I dont see them staying top.

We dont create enough. It looks nice and pretty and then we get to the final 3rd and it falls apart. Maybe that will change when Amoo and Manny are back.

My biggest concern is Askeys refusal to want to change anything. Players were getting tired, it was obvious to see. We were 2-1 down with only twenty mins to go and had gone flat. Why does he not make a change? Why leave it so late?

We changed it and had 3 strikers on and had a real good spell straight away. But this change happened in like the 84 minute. Far to late.

Advert

45 minutes ago, ginge said:

I have to disagree I'm afraid. I don't think Smith or particularly Legge's strengths are with the ball at their feet. 

No they're not but as I said we need to take on board a degree of calculated risk to force teams to come out.

Caution won't get us out of this league.

I think what santa is saying is what I've been thinking for a few games, that we need the fbs bombing on and overlapping a lot more on our attacking phases of play. Splitting the cbs when we move to our attacking phase and dropping Joyce in as a temporary CB would cover the space left by the fbs. As we have no wide midfielders who are able to use skill or guile to get by their oppo and in behind, that's leading to us, whilst the fbs aren't currently pushing on, having no option but to try and get in behind by launching it long, which doesn't work!

I have to disagree I'm afraid. I don't think Smith or particularly Legge's strengths are with the ball at their feet. 

22 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I think what santa is saying is what I've been thinking for a few games, that we need the fbs bombing on and overlapping a lot more on our attacking phases of play. Splitting the cbs when we move to our attacking phase and dropping Joyce in as a temporary CB would cover the space left by the fbs. As we have no wide midfielders who are able to use skill or guile to get by their oppo and in behind, that's leading to us, whilst the fbs aren't currently pushing on, having no option but to try and get in behind by launching it long, which doesn't work!

This is exactly what made us good last season, you only have to go back and watch the highlights of our games to see the chances created by our full backs getting involved in the play. It’s just happening this year. We don’t have any combinations going forward and I genuinely believe this is a big factor in us struggling in the final third. 

Unfortunately I do think it's a deliberate ploy by askey this season, to concentrate on the defensive phase much more, and hoping we can nick a goal by hook or by crook. When we're drawing or only losing by a single goal, he still appears to be content with that system until the last 10 mins or so, as we saw last night and in other such games this season. Fair play to him, it's worked by and large in keeping a very good defensive record, but with the players we have out injured at the moment, there's little hope of us looking any good offensively. If only we could transplant mannys brain into joyces body!

This is exactly what made us good last season, you only have to go back and watch the highlights of our games to see the chances created by our full backs getting involved in the play. It’s just happening this year. We don’t have any combinations going forward and I genuinely believe this is a big factor in us struggling in the final third. 

19 hours ago, osprey said:

Don’t think we would get anyone better than Askey at the moment

I still think its stupid for people to want askey out at the moment,lose another 2 then who knows as its a results business and the owners have backed him to get at LEAST the play offs this season......what does intrigue me is why you think we cant get better than Askey??

We weren't outplayed or out fought last night which is why Askey was pleased with the performance. However we were out scored and that is what really counts.  Cambridge have a striker in Mullins who has scored 10 goals already this season and looks like he is scoring for fun.  Askey is going for a tight defence and hoping to nick a goal as we lack a prolific striker. We cant complain if we leak a goal a game, even with Brown on fire that's a good average for a League 2 defence. This means we need to score 2 goals a game to win, not outrageous if we are to get promoted. Dont see that happening with 1 striker. If Theo played every game this season would expect him to score 15 goals max, he scored 13 last season so that leaves a hell of alot of goals to be scored elsewhere. Got to be 2 up front for me, we aren't creating enough chances and when we do 2 centre halfs snuff out our lone striker. 

I think it's entirely fair to be slightly disappointed with the start; after the end to the season and the claims from the owner that '8th won't happen again', alongside all of the WNE stuff, the mass hiring of backroom/commercial staff, expectations were at a record high for the Vale fanbase.

Unfortunately, several things haven't worked:

• Injuries have struck to key players (Amoo and Gibbo) which has robbed the side of direct pace. We now struggle to break lines and progress to the final third without 10 men being sat deep
  • None of the 4 strikers have hit the ground running, and are all a similar ability, and as a consequence, Askey doesn't know his best front three
  • Worrall has had a dip in form; 3 assists is a decent return but we can't deny that his all action displays of late 2019/early 2020 have not been on show so far. He was our primary creator last year, with most of our chances going through him, so if he isn't quite at his outstanding levels, we're going to see a dip in creative output
  • The recruitment as a whole haven't, yet, made a concrete impact on the first 11. There's no denying that all the players we have brought in are upgrades on who has departed, but bar Rodney in the first two games, most have struggled to stand out when given minutes. This can be attributed to a lot of things, and will hopefully improve.

There's no need to panic, yet. The issues are all eminently fixable, with good coaching. This is a test for Askey though. He had a bit of a free hit last year, a rebuild year in which expectations were low. This year, the fans expected top 7. I said in the summer, never in my lifetime have fans been so expectant of the playoffs. We didn't expect anything in 12/13. We haven't been used to genuine optimism for 2 decades due to the crooks in the boardroom.

Some posters on here have managed to say 'don't look at the league table after 7 games' but also said 'look at the position of all our opponents' in the same thread, which is fairly contradictory. 

Calls for Askey's head are premature and daft, but there is also no denying that some of our flaws are a result of Askey's quirks as a manager; obstinate refusal to drill anything bar 433, inertia regarding substitutions, a less than convincing recruitment record despite backing from owners.

I do completely understand fans' frustrations and don't think it's fair to have a go when, after all the talk this summer, we have started (and look) a mid-table outfit who will struggle to score. You can make this point fairly, and still hope and (Want Need) expect improvement moving forward. 

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Second half was crap pal. First half we played some decent stuff and deserved to be level. 2nd half started playing long balls, didn’t make substitutions when needed and oh conceded 2 goals and created next to nothing. No idea how you can think that 2nd half is good enough 

Did I say it was good enough? Pal.

Archived