onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Port Vale

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

That second half performance was better than anything we produced against Harrogate, Morecambe and Carlisle. Those are performances I’d call ‘crap’, not a steady second half against the league leaders. Open your eyes, mate. It was a massive improvement last night. Yeah, the last 15 went scrappy, but what do you expect? We were losing and needed to throw everything at it. 

Yes ok it was better than the last 3 games but it still wasn’t good 

Advert

Something else worrying me and that I can’t understand. Askey in his interview mentioned Robinson was excellent first half but dropped off in the second ‘which is to be expected’. I’m sorry why is it to be expected? We’re 10 + games into the season now. He’s not been injured so why on earth is he not yet fit enough to keep his performance up all game?!? Surely a pro footballer should be fit at this stage of the season 

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Lost have we.

Yes,and the usual suspect Brian from Weston Coyney was back again on RS after the match.This bloke is only ever around when we lose and he was spouting on about our owners and our three injury-prone players last night.

Stick to the 365 please Brian.

Some cold hard facts... I'm not putting forward a defence of Askey here, because I do think he is slow to make changes and we need a plan B.

However, the fact are:

After 7 games  (3 short of the magic 10 we all normally say we will wait to judge a season... before ignoring that after a loss)

- We have played 5 of the top 7

- 7 of the top 12

- None of the bottom half

If you ignore the games the Vale have played (and take a PPG approach) in an attempt to only consider how good the opposition is and not factor in the question as to whether we are any good or not:

- We have played 4 of the top 6

- 7 of the top 10

Some other things to consider:

- We are missing 3 first team players  (Gibbo, Manny, Amoo)

- The one player we have brought in Mikirdy that will help us break teams down hasnt played a full game in 8 months and is injured also

With all of the above... we are 3 points off the playoffs.

Make of those as you will.

Possibly better taking stock in the morning rather than in the immediate aftermath.

I felt despite the awful start gifted to to them that we played well in the first half. It was an open game and we looked as lively as we have all season. 

Second half we couldn't string two passes together.

Our midfield has been extremely poor for a few games now, Conlon living on his Exeter goal has offered next to nothing since along with the much maligned Whitehead.

The 3 main decisions in the game were probably the 2 penalties and the yellow for the grab on Rodney. The ref got all 3 correct and we had no yellow cards and there was nothing controversial yet the commentary kept constantly going on and on and on about Kettle. He did nothing amiss at all last night so despite past errors he was largely irrelevant last night. 

Considering we only lost 8 in 37 last year we have had a very mediocre/ worrying start.

Sadly Manny and Cullen despite being on the bench last night will spend more time off the pitch than they do on it and our so called ' best squad in years ' is looking rather average.

We live in hope for Oldham, a poor side who we should be looking to beat.

12 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Some cold hard facts... I'm not putting forward a defence of Askey here, because I do think he is slow to make changes and we need a plan B.

However, the fact are:

After 7 games  (3 short of the magic 10 we all normally say we will wait to judge a season... before ignoring that after a loss)

- 7 of the top 12

If you ignore the games the Vale have played (and take a PPG approach) in an attempt to only consider how good the opposition is and not factor in the question as to whether we are any good or not:

- 7 of the top 10

- The one player we have brought in Mikirdy that will help us break teams down hasnt played a full game in 8 months and is injured also

Make of those as you will.

All well and good, do you think Morecambe with a minus 5 goal difference are a good side ?

Do you think Carlisle are a good side?

Anyway i thought we always play well against the better sides and struggle against the poorer ones?

Michael Brown kept saying what's all the fuss we are only 3 points off the play offs, 6 points, 7 points, 9 points, etc etc.

The stark fact is that after what i felt was being robbed of a chance in the play offs last season, we appeared to be on a really strong footing compared to other clubs. All the players resigned and we made some astute additions.

Colchester who lost half of there team and were in disarray have started better than us along with others who have cobbled together sides.

Maybe both fans and players had too high expectations and yes it is very early doors and no need to panic but what i am seeing on the pitch is extremely concerning.

Zero creativity, powder puff up front because we aren't creating anything and players who are in the treatment room more than they are on the pitch.

pointless stat so early to say we’re 3 points off the play offs. Yes we are and only 7 games have been played. Keep this record up and we will be nowhere near. We’ve lost to some bad sides who have had some thrashings yet we didn’t manage to score a goal. at such an early stage we’re only 6 points above the bottom two. It’s a pointless stat so early. 

For some parts of the game I thought we played quite well, better than for some time. But we currently miss a bit of midfield guile and scoring goals was always going to be a problem for us.

With Taylor's departure only our central striker (Theo or Cullen or Pope) is proven to score goals at this level and we are heavily reliant on them, even though they generally only play as lone strikers.

It might well be (fingers crossed) that Amoo and McKirdy (when fit) can give us something a bit more threatening in the final third, and that Oyeleke (if he ever gets fit) can give us some drive and dynamism through the middle. But we really don't have a lot of natural scorers in the team.

Early days though it is we have to solve this problem or we'll stay in mid table obscurity.

I also fee strongly that we need to look carefully at how we use our subs, which is often too late and too little. It isn't just this year but last year as well. It is a 14 man game and we should try and be a bit more proactive and not leave it late. 

We'll do a bit better when everyone is fully fit and up for selection but there is no doubt that we are struggling in the final third and not scoring enough goals. That's our big problem.

For some parts of the game I thought we played quite well, better than for some time. But we currently miss a bit of midfield guile and scoring goals was always going to be a problem for us.
With Taylor's departure only our central striker (Theo or Cullen or Pope) is proven to score goals at this level and we are heavily reliant on them, even though they generally only play as lone strikers.
It might well be (fingers crossed) that Amoo and McKirdy (when fit) can give us something a bit more threatening in the final third, and that Oyeleke (if he ever gets fit) can give us some drive and dynamism through the middle. But we really don't have a lot of natural scorers in the team.
Early days though it is we have to solve this problem or we'll stay in mid table obscurity.
I also fee strongly that we need to look carefully at how we use our subs, which is often too late and too little. It isn't just this year but last year as well. It is a 14 man game and we should try and be a bit more proactive and not leave it late. 
We'll do a bit better when everyone is fully fit and up for selection but there is no doubt that we are struggling in the final third and not scoring enough goals. That's our big problem.
Agree, creativity from midfield and distribution from defence are a problem for me, you have to give the strikers something to feed on and for what ever reason it ain't happening I'm sure Askey realises this and hopefully he finds a way to solve the puzzle.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

However, the fact are:

- 7 of the top 12

- 7 of the top 10

Make of those as you 

Spot on! 

Im sorry but all of you saying that were only 3pts of play offs and weve only played teams in the top 7 so far yeah well if thats the case we are screwed because our form against teams below us is even worse than when we play against teams above us. Some of you need open you eyes and actually watch the way we play we are 3pts of the play offs now but if something doesnt change thats going to get a lot bigger than 3pts off. Saying we played alright second half are you ok???? Like seriously you think that second half perfomance was ok. It was laughable. We as fans shouldnt settle for that if we have any anspirations for this season that shouldnt be accepted and john askey needs to know that and change it quickly because only takes a few more of them perfomances and we will be 10-15 points of play offs. I for one am bored of settling for mediocrity with vale im not saying we are entitled to get promoted but we are entitled to have a side that shows more than they showed last night. WAKE UP before its too late.

50 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

All well and good, do you think Morecambe with a minus 5 goal difference are a good side ?

Do you think Carlisle are a good side?

Anyway i thought we always play well against the better sides and struggle against the poorer ones?

The numbers say that the other 6 sides they have played would say they have been.

We struggle against sides that sit back... whether they are “good” or “poor“ I think is a different issue.

We have one more point vs this time last year.

Im not posting these statements with an agenda, other than to say it might be a bit soon to start kicking off.

Archived