onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Port Vale

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

First half we were good second half shocking but askey waits until 80 mins to change it 

Mate, what on earth were you watching in the second half? Admittedly, we weren’t as good, but to say we were poor is a bit odd. Some people must watch a different game. Or maybe just don’t understand football? 

Advert

Maybe I'm being OTT and I'll be less melodramatic tomorrow. But it's still not good enough currently. 6 goals in the league so far this season is a piss take, as is the amount of chances we're generally creating. It just seems like we've very quickly gone from being excited for a potential automatic promotion push with a strong squad to a side that gets a nose bleed in the final third and constantly has it's better players missing.

Sacking Askey right now would be massively risky , wouldn't carol have to pay off the rest of his contract? Not exactly the best time in these circumstances. 

Plus what other managers are out there now that could change things? Massive gamble in my opinion.

However something has to change. Askey needs to use his subs and his clock management so much more,  how many times did we drop points last season because of this? 

Players need to take blame as well. Half of them just seem to be going through the motions. Having no fans is probably a factor in this especially home games. 

I definitely don't think Askey should go yet but I have to say these last few performances look and feel very much like the early Aspin days before it got really bad again. Hopefully I'm wrong and just over analysing the game tonight. Maybe the buzz from last season gave us false hope and in need of a reality check 

19 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Maybe I'm being OTT and I'll be less melodramatic tomorrow. But it's still not good enough currently. 6 goals in the league so far this season is a piss take, as is the amount of chances we're generally creating. It just seems like we've very quickly gone from being excited for a potential automatic promotion push with a strong squad to a side that gets a nose bleed in the final third and constantly has it's better 

Just a tad OTT, in my eyes!

The expectancy coming into this season is adding much unneeded pressure to a relatively steady start. 

Just seen this stat on Twitter:

After Matchday 7 19/20: 9 points (W2 D3 L2) 8 For, 10 Against

After Matchday 7 20/21: 10 points (W3 D1 L3) 6 For, 5 Against

Before everyone goes to sleep tonight, just remember a season is played over 46 games, not 7. Stop with the overreactions and meltdowns. Give Askey and the lads time to replicate the dazzling performances of last season. They will come. 

When assessing the season so far need to take into account 5 of 7 opponents feature in the Top 7, and the other 2 are 9th and 12th.

Amoo especially has been a big loss as our main creator, as well as Wozza being below last years form.

I’m not a happy clapper, but likewise not going to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Askey has been more good than bad, and deserves more time and a bit of patience.

Start is in line with last year, just 2 points off the play offs, we look like qualifying the the next stage of the FLT and on the whole solid defensively.  

keep calm and positive - better times lie ahead

I thought first half we were more than a match for Cambridge but their second goal - which came a little out of the blue - really knocked us back and they deserved to win overall. The lad who scored the hat trick looks a decent player and he seems on fire at the moment. 
it’s beginning to look like we will win games and lose games quite frequently whereas last season we drew a lot of games. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t make the playoffs though. 
the one thing we are missing at present is a box to box midfielder - the job Jake Taylor did last year. Hopefully we’ll be strengthened when Manny, Amoo and McKirdy can fully up to speed.

it’s a marathon not a sprint.

8 hours ago, TylerB said:

I'll come back to your post in 5 or 6 games time when absolutely nothing has changed, we aren't scoring enough goals still, and Askey is still giving the impression he has no idea what our best 11 is and is making changes in games far too late to allow players to actually impact them properly.

And absolutely nobody expected us to piss the league, win every game or boss every game. You've just completely made that up to suit your own argument. 

You'll be more than welcome to come back Tyler cos that's when I shall start making my considered opinion not based on a defeat and an, at the moment, poor run. I also agree he needs to look at subs earlier and he doesn't know his best 11, some of whom are not fit at the moment.

Must have been mistaken then about the amount of "optimism", shall we call it, on here.....I do apologise, but I can't be arsed to trawl back and see how many mentions of "play-offs at least", "strong enough squad to get automatic promotion" to back up my "own argument".

8 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

Mate, what on earth were you watching in the second half? Admittedly, we weren’t as good, but to say we were poor is a bit odd. Some people must watch a different game. Or maybe just don’t understand football? 

If you think that second half performance was ok I think maybe it’s you that doesn’t understand football 

8 hours ago, TylerB said:

It just seems like we've very quickly gone from being excited for a potential automatic promotion push with a strong squad to a side that gets a nose bleed in the final third and constantly has it's better players missing.

But Tyler you accused me of making the "optimism" up.

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Really?  Second half shocking?

Second half was crap pal. First half we played some decent stuff and deserved to be level. 2nd half started playing long balls, didn’t make substitutions when needed and oh conceded 2 goals and created next to nothing. No idea how you can think that 2nd half is good enough 

44 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

If you think that second half performance was ok I think maybe it’s you that doesn’t understand football 

That second half performance was better than anything we produced against Harrogate, Morecambe and Carlisle. Those are performances I’d call ‘crap’, not a steady second half against the league leaders. Open your eyes, mate. It was a massive improvement last night. Yeah, the last 15 went scrappy, but what do you expect? We were losing and needed to throw everything at it. 

Enjoyed the first half. Thought we looked good, some decent interpassing. Liked Monty.

Cambridge didn't look any great shakes throughout, bit they maintained their levels whilst ours dropped, alarmingly, in the second half.

There's been lots of talk about the next few weeks requiring the whole squad. Which has become threadbare really quickly.

Theo's performance, especially first half the highlight of an ultimately disappointing evening.

3 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

That second half performance was better than anything we produced against Harrogate, Morecambe and Carlisle. Those are performances I’d call ‘crap’, not a steady second half against the league leaders. Open your eyes, mate. It was a massive improvement last night. Yeah, the last 15 went scrappy, but what do you expect? We were losing and needed to throw everything at it. 

Yeah and that’s exactly what we didn’t do. Throwing everything at it is getting one or even two of the three strikers sat on the bench before the 80th minute. ‘Better than we produced against Harrogate, morcambe and Carlisle’. I agree but I think that just shows how bad we’ve been rather than we did well last night 

Archived