onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Port Vale

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

The front 3 is the biggest problem. I actually thought Theo did ok tonight, and thankfully is starting to look better than he was in the first couple of games. Worrall needs a rest or moved into the midfield 3 instead of Whitehead. I said before he hasn’t got the pace to play in a front 3 and got slated. I still stand by that. The third midfielder is a worry, and I think Askey’s biggest mistake has not been reinforcing that area. Manny just isn’t going to be fit and Whitehead and Burgess aren’t good enough.

We aren’t a bad side, but just haven’t got enough goals in us. If we get Amoo, McKirdy (if he finds form or is good enough) and Manny back, then we might have a chance to turn this around.

I’m not giving up on promotion just yet, but we are unfortunately looking very toothless at the moment. If we do turn it around, it will feel very sweet. That’s what I’m clinging onto. 

Its hard to believe your statement that the front 3 is the problem. We canot call Worrall a front player and Rodney will never be a regular front player, so that leaves one for 25 goals. Worrall does lack pace and so never gets around the full back but crosses from a deeper position. He can cross a good ball more than often but it is not the ball that strikers would hope for.

Not sure if he is a battler in a midfield three though and still not enough goals in him. Problem is we have no one better i dont think. Players for every position people said on here. Yes thats true but they are not good enough for play offs. Lets bring in Amoo, McKirdy,Cullen and after two games its wheres Rodney, Worrall,Montano.

Nit enough creation. Not enough goals

Advert

It's our midfield three that is the biggest problem. One or two here called it before a ball was kicked this season, so fair play to them. I hoped that Oyeleke would actually play games this time around but clearly he's a crock and is a waste of wage, as brutal as that sounds. Whitehead looks like a poor League Two player, Conlon is a good player but is already playing too far back yet again, and Joyce is Joyce. We'll be much better out wide when Amoo is back and McKirdy has settled properly, but those three midfield positions are causing us a big problem. All three tonight looked like they were running in treacle at times. None of them have any sort of turn of pace and must be so easy to play against when they start to tire.

15 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Some people seem to be very positive still despite getting 4 points from the last 18 with a total of 6 league goals scored all season.

Little Port Vale syndrome striking as usual. Nevermind, eh? At least things are going nicely off the pitch.

No I just recognise that’s football, sometimes you have poor runs of form. It’s still early days and we have lost Gibbons, Amoo, McKirdy, Mills and Oyeleke to injury. That’s 5 of our match day squad players. Get some perspective.
People are overreacting. Sacking Askey would be like having a headache so chopping your head off.

2 minutes ago, Powerline said:

No I just recognise that’s football, sometimes you have poor runs of form. It’s still early days and we have lost Gibbons, Amoo, McKirdy, Mills and Oyeleke to injury. That’s 5 of our match day squad players. Get some perspective.
People are overreacting. Sacking Askey would be like having a headache so chopping your head off.

Can't really count Oyeleke as that's not anything new. And we replaced Mills and Gibbons with a better player than both. Every squad in League Two will have players missing, it's no excuse for the run we've been on and the lack of chances we aren't creating every single game be it home or away.

Askey is making us look a very ordinary and average side right now.

I don’t think you can pinpoint one area, the whole team is not set up right IMO.

Legge, great centre back, but last couple of times I’ve seen him he wants to play Hollywood passes. Why?? I’m guessing because no midfielder is showing for it. So inevitably the ball gets belted upfield but guess what, we don’t have any significant presence up there so the ball is basically handed back to the opposition. 

The midfield looks really weak, no energy or creativity just sideways and backwards passing. All those awaiting for Manny’s return, forget it, your kidding yourselves. We’ll be lucky to get 15 appearances out of him.

I genuinely believe 532 or even 343 needs to be tried, we just cannot go on expecting things to change by doing the same things when it clearly isn’t working. We will be lucky to score 40 goals at this rate and that rarely ends well for teams.

1 minute ago, Powerline said:

Manny yes he would have played tonight. The other 4 NO. You can have a squad of 22 first team players but you pick 11. The skill is picking the right 11 and hoping they play their best game.

Gibbons or Mills before Clarke ? Amoo for Worrall ? McKirdy for Montano ? If you knew who was going to be on their game then selection would be easy but thats the problem, who knows who will be on song

4 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Manny yes he would have played tonight. The other 4 NO. You can have a squad of 22 first team players but you pick 11. The skill is picking the right 11 and hoping they play their best game.

Gibbons or Mills before Clarke ? Amoo for Worrall ? McKirdy for Montano ? If you knew who was going to be on their game then selection would be easy but thats the problem, who knows who will be on song

If fit Gibbons and Clarke would be my full backs every day of the week. Gibbo on the right and Clarke on the left. They’re the best 2 full backs at the club and arguably 2 of the best in the league. Neither of them would miss out if I was gaffer! Worrall and Monty aren’t doing enough at the moment (despite the goal v Salford), my guess is that  Amoo when fit could well be a regular starter for Monty i imagine. 

Bit harsh on Joyce I thought he did OK tonight. The big worry for me is Colon, what on earth. has happened to him? Looks a a shadow of the player from the two first games of the season. Lost his aggression and reverted back to dwelling on the ball only wanting to play a safe ball backwards. Last season when he came into the team after Taylor left he said we was really motivated and felt a sense of responsibility playing in the no.10 role. Don't understand why he is playing different now.

Listening to the commentary from BBC Cambridgeshire iit did make me laugh when we made the first sub and they made the remark JA's plan is to play 433 and change it to 433😁

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

With regard to some of the comments about Worrall on here.  Remember form is temporary, class is permanent.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-stats-put-port-vales-4191572

How is arse hasn't warmed the bench so far this season is beyond me, regardless of what he did last season or in 2015. I know with Amoo out we haven't been stacked with options but playing a badly out of form player on one flank and a rookie striker on the other (before tonight) is asking for trouble, surely?

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

With regard to some of the comments about Worrall on here.  Remember form is temporary, class is permanent.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-stats-put-port-vales-4191572

Was excellent last season. Has been pretty poor so far this season. someone posted earlier about him playing Cm. That’s something I would try. I thought before the season started we were a Cm short, just didn’t look like any creativity was there and that is apparent now. Maybe Worral in there with Joyce and Conlon whilst manny is injured? Maybe in a number 10 roll just behind the forwards. One thing is for certain though he drastically needs to improve 

4 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I don’t think you can pinpoint one area, the whole team is not set up right IMO.

Legge, great centre back, but last couple of times I’ve seen him he wants to play Hollywood passes. Why?? I’m guessing because no midfielder is showing for it. So inevitably the ball gets belted upfield but guess what, we don’t have any significant presence up there so the ball is basically handed back to the opposition. 

The midfield looks really weak, no energy or creativity just sideways and backwards passing. All those awaiting for Manny’s return, forget it, your kidding yourselves. We’ll be lucky to get 15 appearances out of him.

I genuinely believe 532 or even 343 needs to be tried, we just cannot go on expecting things to change by doing the same things when it clearly isn’t working. We will be lucky to score 40 goals at this rate and that rarely ends well for teams.

40 goals is all we have.

We dont have a midfield TWO. Not sure about 352 but i do know we have to have two strikers up front.

We have a much better balanced squad but tney are not the right players to achieve a team for the play offs

Just now, MBE said:

Bit harsh on Joyce I thought he did OK tonight. The big worry for me is Colon, what on earth. has happened to him? Looks a a shadow of the player from the two first games of the season. Lost his aggression and reverted back to dwelling on the ball only wanting to play a safe ball backwards. Last season when he came into the team after Taylor left he said we was really motivated and felt a sense of responsibility playing in the no.10 role. Don't understand why he is playing different now.

Listening to the commentary from BBC Cambridgeshire iit did make me laugh when we made the first sub and they made the remark JA's plan is to play 433 and change it to 433😁

What I’m seeing from Conlon is what I saw most of last season. I wasn’t overly impressed with him, a few good games but largely innefective. Think other than a free kick he’s not been great. To be fair I’d say other than our defence and keeer we’ve been extremely poor. 

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Five goals max for a year from a class player. Wish we had a few more. Class is overstated for Worrall.

The scariest part is we have no one better and so i would still play Worrall but not in our 433 or 451 set up

Archived