onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Project Big Picture

ginginator

This is the way forward according to Man Utd and Liverpool article below is behind a sign in paywall, utter rubish in my opinion, OVF would censor me for how I really feel.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/11/world-exclusive-man-utd-liverpool-driving-project-big-picture/

Summary

The proposals include:

• £250 million immediately to the EFL to compensate its clubs for lost matchday revenue, deducted from future television revenue earnings and financed by a loan taken out by the Premier League

• Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership

• Premier League to go to 18 clubs from 20

• £100 million one-off gift to the FA to cover its coronavirus losses, the non-league game, the women’s game, the grassroots

• 8.5 per cent of annual net Premier League revenue to go on operating costs and “good causes” including the FA

• From the remainder, 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and Football League revenues to go to the EFL clubs

• Six per cent of Premier League gross revenues to pay for stadium improvements across the top four divisions, calculated at £100 per seat

• New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income, overseas and domestic, including proposals that base one portion on performance over three years in the league

• The abolition of the League Cup and the Community Shield

• 24 clubs each in the Championship, League One and League Two reducing the professional game overall from 92 clubs to 90

• A women's professional league independent of the Premier League or the FA

• Two sides automatically relegated from the Premier League every season and the top two Championship teams promoted. The 16th place Premier League club in a play-off tournament with the Championship’s third, fourth and fifth placed teams.

• Financial fair play regulations in line with Uefa, and full access for Premier League executive to club accounts

• A fan charter including capping of away tickets at £20, away travel subsidised, a focus on a return to safe standing, a minimum away allocation of eight per cent capacity

• Later Premier League start in August to give greater scope for pre-season friendlies, and requirement for all clubs to compete once every five years in a summer Premier League tournament

• Huge changes to loan system allowing clubs to have 15 players out on loan domestically at any one time and up to four at a single club in England

Advert

For me, it's simple. £250m is roughly equivalent to what the PL pay out in parachute payments each year. Rather than shell out another £250m just cancel the parachute payment and distribute that cash equally. The huge parachute payments which reward failure and cause a huge financial imbalance in the Championship should go. Until they do there will never be a fair League system. If clubs get relegated from the PL then they need to either work relegation clauses into their wage bills or suffer the consequences. The fair distribution of the parachute payments alone would create more goodwill between the FL and PL. And that's it...

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Apart from abolition of the league cup, those proposals seem pretty reasonable to me.

If the PL doesn't want the League Cup then why not just exclude them from the draw and make it a proper "EFL Cup" for League clubs only rather than abolishing it. It may not be as prestigious but it may give clubs that otherwise have no chance of a domestic trophy a chance to win one, give clubs in the latter stages a pay day and so on... It may even be an idea to have it replace the "Football League and B sides Trophy"...

29 minutes ago, robf said:

If the PL doesn't want the League Cup then why not just exclude them from the draw and make it a proper "EFL Cup" for League clubs only rather than abolishing it. It may not be as prestigious but it may give clubs that otherwise have no chance of a domestic trophy a chance to win one, give clubs in the latter stages a pay day and so on... It may even be an idea to have it replace the "Football League and B sides Trophy"...

To be honest rob, I did think of that idea after I posted.

would be a great idea, though probably won by a championship club mostly but would give L1 and 2 clubs more of a chance.

1 hour ago, ginginator said:

It is for the Premier League, not for the rest. 2 less EFL teams, 15 loan players allowed out. The money may be handy but if feels like a bribe. 

As I see it most L1 and 2 clubs are getting desperate now, I think 2 less EFL clubs is a small price to pay and let’s face it, if the current situation goes on much longer there will be a lot more than 2 less EFL clubs.

8 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The second bullet point is the issue for me. Lots of power to a very small elite group of clubs. 

Now you mention it, that is an unfair proposal, any club in the premier league should have an equal say.

34 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The second bullet point is the issue for me. Lots of power to a very small elite group of clubs. 

Very true especially when you combine that voting power with... "New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income, overseas and domestic, including proposals that base one portion on performance over three years in the league."

Keep the league cup and get rid of that EFL trophy. I agree with doing away with parachute payments and contracts should be changed regarding relegation, even though parachute payments didn’t help our neighbours,Sunderland, Blackpool, Bradford or Portsmouth. As Rob points out this is included in what the EPL count as passing down the pyramid. It isn’t shared out so IMO it should be scrapped. I read that MUFC were saying the the Sancho transfer fee was £108m, however players wages and agents fees took the deal to £227m a difference of £119m. When they stop paying agents ridiculous over inflated fees then the game might get back to some normality, I won’t hold my breath. The money agents receive leaves the game which has got to be wrong.

Last season the big clubs in the EPL negotiated more money from the overseas TV money because they claimed that ppl around the world weren’t interested in watching Burnley v Norwich in midweek. Probably true but to give into them, is just wrong.

Archived