Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

1 hour ago, jonti1969 said:

What are the odds of them getting that new manager bounce against us on Saturday

Pretty low I would imagine.

They're unbeaten.

Nothing to bounce from.

• Like 2

Advert:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great result today. The back five produced an absolute masterclass to restrict the most expensive attack in the league to very few clear-cut chances. Good to see Joyce and Conlon back, even though Tom

I Do agree with Rob . Phil Bowers is. a true vale fan . And I do think. He says what he see’s . I do enjoy Listening to Phil . On Radio sJoke . 

I don't see it that way at all. I think it's the right and honest thing to say they thought it was a bad challenge and to say what they thought they saw.  I then thought it was the right and hone

Posted Images

Must be back to basics for this one.  Back to the 433, no brainer.  The big problem JA has is who plays up top.  He had no choice but to pick Theo for the last game, after 2 goals in midweek.

I'm not normally one for naming sides but you'd have to think Smith will replace Crookes, who didn't really do much wrong on Saturday, but the Smith / Legge pairing is proven.  Clarke and Monty shoo-ins at FB.  If Oyeleke is fit he'll play.  Conlon and Joyce I'd guess most fans would say were surprising ommisions on Saturday.  Plus Burgess hasn't quite found the form from end of last season yet.  McKirdy could be worth a start but the front 3 for me would be Rodney, against his old club, Wozza, not hit top form yet but still works harder than anyone.  At home I'd choose Cullen to start centrally over the others, at least for a few more games, in the belief that we will improve our passing quality into him sooner rather than later.

It's sad that the fans aren't back in for this one, I'd think we'd be ripping the roof off against one of the favourites.  Hopefully the staff can build the game up so that the players feel the same way and up their performances from here on in.

Advert:

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Certainly is,the 'Class of 92' are obviously not a patient lot.A perfect job for the Cowley brothers?

Possibly. They had a successful formula at Lincoln, but it's not pretty.

18 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Must be back to basics for this one.  Back to the 433, no brainer.  The big problem JA has is who plays up top.  He had no choice but to pick Theo for the last game, after 2 goals in midweek.

I'm not normally one for naming sides but you'd have to think Smith will replace Crookes, who didn't really do much wrong on Saturday, but the Smith / Legge pairing is proven.  Clarke and Monty shoo-ins at FB.  If Oyeleke is fit he'll play.  Conlon and Joyce I'd guess most fans would say were surprising ommisions on Saturday.  Plus Burgess hasn't quite found the form from end of last season yet.  McKirdy could be worth a start but the front 3 for me would be Rodney, against his old club, Wozza, not hit top form yet but still works harder than anyone.  At home I'd choose Cullen to start centrally over the others, at least for a few more games, in the belief that we will improve our passing quality into him sooner rather than later.

It's sad that the fans aren't back in for this one, I'd think we'd be ripping the roof off against one of the favourites.  Hopefully the staff can build the game up so that the players feel the same way and up their performances from here on in.

Burgess hasn't quite found form? He's been dreadful. Wozza not hit top form? Another who's performances this season have been a massive let down so far, and how he gets a place in our side every week regardless when we're supposed to have a strong squad is anybody's guess. Well, he's an Askey favourite, so it's not a guess really. As a wide player that has little pace and doesn't ever beat a full-back, Worrall in current form is one of the biggest culprits why we've registered about 5 shots on target in 3 league games. Let's start calling a spade a spade instead of trying to sugar coat performances and form.

Edited by TylerB

There isn't a lot wrong with our defence overall, whoever we play there. It's in the final third where we are lacking.

I reckon most of us would indeed probably say that our best three in midfield are Oyeleke (who we badly miss), Joyce and Conlon, so stick with them unless loss of form/injuries occur.

Up front is the real conundrum where we have seven players to fill three places and I guess we'd all have three different picks because there isn't a lot between them. How many of them are 100% match fit is another question. I'm not sure that McKirdy is. Nor 1-2 others. And, sadly, Amoo, who gives us some pace, isn't anywhere near at the moment.

Worrall does look out of sorts. Busy as ever but no real spark to his play yet. He's normally a first pick but maybe could be rested and put on the bench. Montano could play on the left if others are not yet quite ready. Rodney could switch to the right. And then it's perm one from three in the centre. I favour Pope but others will disagree.  I like a target man in this league. But that will only work if we get players around him and our midfield players get close to him. 

It'll be interesting to see who Askey goes for. Our hardest game yet, on paper.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

Burgess hasn't quite found form? He's been dreadful. Wozza not hit top form? Another who's performances this season have been a massive let down so far, and how he gets a place in our side every week regardless when we're supposed to have a strong squad is anybody's guess. Well, he's an Askey favourite, so it's not a guess really. As a wide player that has little pace and doesn't ever beat a full-back, Worrall in current form is one of the biggest culprits why we've registered about 5 shots on target in 3 league games. Let's start calling a spade a spade instead of trying to sugar coat performances and form.

Nowt wrong with a bit of sugar.

Can't really offer much defence for Burgess other than on Saturday he was always going to struggle in the system we played.

Wozza, "for a player that has little pace and doesn't ever beat a full-back", does OK if you judge him over more than just 3 games.

Advert:

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Nowt wrong with a bit of sugar.

Can't really offer much defence for Burgess other than on Saturday he was always going to struggle in the system we played.

Wozza, "for a player that has little pace and doesn't ever beat a full-back", does OK if you judge him over more than just 3 games.

My main point about Worrall being that if he was anyone else people would be wondering why the hell he hasn't been benched yet. And it's 5 games as he was hardly outstanding in either of our two league victories. In fact I thought his overall play against Crawley was garbage. Literally couldn't pass the ball 5 yards at times. As a wide player this season, what has he created for his team-mates so far?

Edited by TylerB

Also want to mention that I'm not trying to make Worrall a scapegoat. But as one of our better players he needs to do more. But how long do we give him until we say enough is enough and that by actually benching him and showing him he's not un-droppable is the only way for him to hopefully regain something like the form we know he is capable of? At the moment the effort is there but the quality is nowhere to be seen.

Going to put it out there but I’m not convinced Rodney is the answer (on the flank anyway). I’d go with the Oyeleke, Conlon and Joyce three and McKirdy and Woz out wide (assuming no Amoo).

Striker is a conundrum, we didn’t create a thing after Pope went off, but Salford won’t be as solid set up as other opponents so Cullen probably edges it it fit.

Rodney seems better as an impact sub at this stage. He is lightening fast but struggled to impact the past 2-3 games.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TylerB said:

My main point about Worrall being that if he was anyone else people would be wondering why the hell he hasn't been benched yet. And it's 5 games as he was hardly outstanding in either of our two league victories. In fact I thought his overall play against Crawley was garbage. Literally couldn't pass the ball 5 yards at times. As a wide player this season, what has he created for his team-mates so far?

In fairness we won the first 2 games and drew the third so why change things and since then JA had little choice but to play him due to other players being unfit. 

13 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

In fairness we won the first 2 games and drew the third so why change things and since then JA had little choice but to play him due to other players being unfit. 

As long as he's fit, Askey won't drop Worrall just as long as they've both got holes in their arses. We all know that. Hopefully he puts in a big performance on Saturday and finally shows what he's all about after a handful of games this season. But as a wide player in a side that won't score a lot of goals, he really needs to start creating more and getting on the scoresheet himself.

Advert:

37 minutes ago, TylerB said:

As long as he's fit, Askey won't drop Worrall just as long as they've both got holes in their arses. We all know that. Hopefully he puts in a big performance on Saturday and finally shows what he's all about after a handful of games this season. But as a wide player in a side that won't score a lot of goals, he really needs to start creating more and getting on the scoresheet himself.

Think you are being really harsh on Worrall Tyler.

As a collective the whole team have been average to poor for the last 3 games. 

Last season ( yes i know last season is history) wasn't he second behind De Bruyne for assists. He has possibly got away with it because of the Amoo injury he has no competiton for his place almost. Were Amoo fit Rodney or Montano could go left and Amoo right.

Rather than pick out individuals the whole team needs a kick up the proverbials. I've read people slating McKirdy who has maybe touched the ball 5 times in his Vale career.

Legge gave an horrific back pass, Clark got skinned a couple of times, the whole team are culpable for the drop in standards.

Worrall remains one of our best players who is going through a real dip in form.

• Like 4

I’d go back to basics for this one. However, as everyone has alluded to, the front three combination is problematic. 

Brown

Clark Legge Smith Monty

Joyce 
  Manny/ Burgess Conlon

Worrall  Rodney McKirdy 

Time for McKirdy to show what the hype is about. If not, a worrying signing. Also, time to give Rodney a chance down the middle- we’ve tried everyone else with limited success, so might as well. 

Bit downbeat about Vale on the field at the moment as it’s looking like Askey has got a few signings wrong. However, Amoo and Manny will make a big difference if ever fit. Let’s try and be positive, and hope playing the better teams brings the best out of us. UTV.