onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Guest Vale at home
1 hour ago, robf said:

But the worst thing for a broadcaster would be silence. Especially potentially eight minutes of it while he was treated. If they were to "move on" from the incident then I reckon they would have got stick for that too... For instance, if Phil Bowers gets castigated for some fans for making his comments that aren't to do with the game. Even though some fans like them (I do I think it adds a dose of humour) some don't. But if he doesn't do that in this incident and comments on the incident, he's said to be going "on and on" about it.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I think the commentators are in an invidious position because everyone has a particular style they like and a commentator can't do them all. Not only that but because everyone essentially has to listen to the commentary because they can only see the game through the stream, so what the commentator says is being heard by a much wider audience than usual. 

For me, Phil and Chris Birchall said what they saw from their position (and we all know from being at games that sometimes a person in one stand sees it different from another). They then very fairly put across the views of those with the benefit of a replay and took that onboard. I can't really see what else they could have done without the benefit of replays etc. I think when you are talking live for 90 mins you are never going to be infallible and on this occasion they correctly corrected themselves.

I Do agree with Rob . Phil Bowers is. a true vale fan . And I do think. He says what he see’s . I do enjoy Listening to Phil . On Radio sJoke . 

Advert

Whitehead is a solid player. Gives his all every time I've seen him play which is all we can ask for.
Last season we'd have had Ryan Lloyd or Callum Evans so he's a definite upgrade on those (no disrespect).
He just needs to be quicker with his decision making I think he dwells on the ball a second longer than he needs to

I’ve just watched the extended highlights (I appreciate that they are highlights) and Whitehead is involved in a lot of the forward play. The commentator even says something like ‘Whitehead has a bright second half’ or words to that effect. 

Not sure why he’s had so much criticism.

If fit and not fatigued, I would play him Tuesday. 

Maybe Whitehead is a player who needs a run in the team,i do think there is more to come from him,he has scored goals from Midfield and yesterday although his shots lacked power he was in the right place to get his shots off. Lets face it Manny will play a couple then sadly is out for a few,Burgess hasn't been a patch on the player he was last season so for me Whitehead will be a decent stand in for the midfield positions and is an improvement on what we had on standby last season(apart from Taylor of course)

1 hour ago, Diego Maradona said:

I’ve just watched the extended highlights (I appreciate that they are highlights) and Whitehead is involved in a lot of the forward play. The commentator even says something like ‘Whitehead has a bright second half’ or words to that effect. 

Not sure why he’s had so much criticism.

If fit and not fatigued, I would play him Tuesday. 

I agree he was ok for me yesterday. He looked poor last week; although Carlisle normally got 4 against 2 in central midfield, so for me the failure of players on the pitch to adapt and Askey to change things contributed. 

2 hours ago, JRC said:

I agree he was ok for me yesterday. He looked poor last week; although Carlisle normally got 4 against 2 in central midfield, so for me the failure of players on the pitch to adapt and Askey to change things contributed. 

It is early days for new players settling in, some take longer than others, it is not as if we are incurring large transfer fees. 

Think I was a bit harsh on Whitehead yesterday. He did get in some good positions and was much better than vs Carlisle. I'm not sure he has got to grips with where he fits in in the 4-3-3 system. Plus yesterday we fiddled around a lot. Changing where personnel were playing. Players switching around. Not knocking this, keeps the oppo thinking, but can't make it easy for a new player. Certainly not writing the bloke off. 

4 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Scholes is a patronising get. Just saw a post match interview with him and he says "When you come to places like this, they're always going to make it difficult for you", like he's Pep visiting the Crown Ground.

Patronising, or a backhanded complement perhaps? I’m not defending Scholes but he’s not the most upbeat, or fluent, speaker at the best of times and perhaps this has lead to his comment being taken the wrong way.  Who knows?  I didn’t see that we set out to frustrate, rather it was an open game in which I felt we had the better chances, bar the penalty.  Only when Brisley came on did it look like we were intent on shutting up shop.

Guest Vale at home
47 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Scholes thinks he's still at a big club when he's actually at a club based in a dump on the outskirts of Manchester.  Have they got proper toilets yet??

I  agree . Salford Lost   . To the vale .  . Just source grapes  . Who Does He think He is . Good Luck to the Vale .for tomorrow night . Come on the vale . 

Archived