onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

13 minutes ago, Santa said:

Rodney had to do a similar job to what Cullen has done a few times already this season, put in the donkey work 

Yeah, it's not been easy for anyone playing there for us this season so far. Feeding on scraps. It's a bit like in the 4-3-3 it's more about laying off to one of the other two than being a "target man". Thought Rodders did okay, but still looks very raw. Theo looked good in the role when he came on. For the first time. But good on them for keeping going in a thankless role.

Advert

Wowsers, that was nervous stuff at the end. Today was the result of grit, determination and a bit (lot) of very good fortune that we’ve been missing in the last couple of weeks.

I actually can’t fathom this “he’s been anonymous but popped up with a stunner” criticism of Monty. He was our most creative player and yes, Worrall put a few crosses in, but very little came from them. He definitely has that X Factor and for me, one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s a L2 Antonio Valencia for me.

I’m not sure what to make of Rodney at the moment. Today he stood out like a work in progress I’m afraid and it was, dare I say it, a game where I think Pope would have excelled. 

I sort of agree with Askey when he says Theo changed the game. He certainly chased lost causes late in the game and obviously put the cross in for the goal. I maintain he’s no lone striker though. 

Tuesday will be an interesting test, they are scoring for fun. On a tight pitch and with them full of confidence and unlikely to sit back, I’d be inclined to go Monty at full back, Theo up top and Rodney wide.

Think some fans are overly negative tonight, it’s a great result against a side that’s easily the best in the league on paper.

Had this game taken place how it did after the Exeter performance fans would be purring about how solid we were and how we beat Salford etc but feel some are viewing in the context of the current form of the past two or three games. These are not Morecambe, Carlisle or Harrogate and have won 6 of 8 away in 2020 including today’s game... both they failed at Vale Park.

Henderson and Wilson were in the main kept very quiet.

We are superb defensively, 4 clean sheets in 6 and look to be very strong there, we just need to find the balance and confidence up front. We had some good positions such as Smith blazing over and Henderson had 2 or 3 and just seemed to panic over them.

Chuffed for Monty though, he was clearly hurting in his interview last weekend so great for him to rifle that one in.

As for the penalty feels a bit of a case of karma for us after last weeks miss which changed that game so will take it!

On a side note best wishes to Gibson, player who has had many injuries that has seen his career drop from playing at the very top (sure I was at old Trafford when he played for United in the Champions League against Bayern Munich), looked a horror one which sadly it as bad as it looks at his age may end his playing career.

4 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Think some fans are overly negative tonight, it’s a great result against a side that’s easily the best in the league on paper.

Had this game taken place how it did after the Exeter performance fans would be purring about how solid we were and how we beat Salford etc but feel some are viewing in the context of the current form of the past two or three games. These are not Morecambe, Carlisle or Harrogate and have won 6 of 8 away in 2020 including today’s game... both they failed at Vale Park.

Henderson and Wilson were in the main kept very quiet.

We are superb defensively, 4 clean sheets in 6 and look to be very strong there, we just need to find the balance and confidence up front. We had some good positions such as Smith blazing over and Henderson had 2 or 3 and just seemed to panic over them.

Chuffed for Monty though, he was clearly hurting in his interview last weekend so great for him to rifle that one in.

As for the penalty feels a bit of a case of karma for us after last weeks miss which changed that game so will take it!

On a side note best wishes to Gibson, player who has had many injuries that has seen his career drop from playing at the very top (sure I was at old Trafford when he played for United in the Champions League against Bayern Munich), looked a horror one which sadly it as bad as it looks at his age may end his playing career.

I totally agree about the lens that performance was viewed through.

A very good and well made point.

Thought we did reasonably well today. Solid and made 1 or 2 chances. Think we need to appreciate that Salford are a decent side. Would have been happy with a point - delighted with 3.

I have to say that some of the comments by some folk during the game are ridiculous, especially about Whitehead. It was never a red - even the first time I saw it. I understand that emotions can run high but have a word! 

We know that the way we set up doesn’t produce a load of chances but it does make us hard to beat. 

Another point is thatI don’t think Askey will make another tactical blunder again like he did last week.

UTV

15 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

I have to say that some of the comments by some folk during the game are ridiculous, especially about Whitehead. It was never a red - even the first time I saw it. I understand that emotions can run high but have a word! 

To be fair mate, it was quickly appreciated that Whitehead had nothing to do with it, It was just an unfortunate slip by their player. Whitehead had a poor game though.

5 minutes ago, toyahw said:

To be fair mate, it was quickly appreciated that Whitehead had nothing to do with it, It was just an unfortunate slip by their player. Whitehead had a poor game though.

He just does not seem to fit in the system at the moment. Not writing him off, but not quite working at the moment,

2 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

And I wasn’t saying I thought it was red, more that the referee would be influenced by the player being badly injured as we’ve been on the wrong side of in the past.

That is true. Credit to the ref that he did not react to the fluke injury with a card. All the best to their bloke for a swift recovery.

8 minutes ago, toyahw said:

He just does not seem to fit in the system at the moment. Not writing him off, but not quite working at the moment,

I thought he was poor last week and I was surprised because he had looked a tidy player. I thought he was better, but not great, today BUT I'll tell you what he never hid once, not like some midfielders i've seen up Vale. He worked his socks off, wanted the ball and was in the right place for those shots even if they could have been better. I think he'll get better as the season goes on if he gets his chance

Archived