onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Advert

10 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Good win by the Vale, kept plugging away. Scott Brown exemplary yet again. Not a fan of Devante Rodney playing as a lone striker through the middle, he looks much more effective playing wider on the left in a 4-3-3.

Would love to know what went through JA's mind viz the substitution and its timing, can't argue with the decision cause Theo was involved in the build up to the goal and generally did well when he came on.

I think Askeys thinking was keep it tight, get a draw at least or at best nick a goal and sit on the lead. In the end that’s exactly what happened.

Rodney was pretty ineffective today, but given how Monty was playing I expected him to go off and Rodney moved to the left. The angle for the goal made it look like Worrall was climbing on the full back for the nod back across goal. 

1 minute ago, PV1973 said:

I think Askeys thinking was keep it tight, get a draw at least or at best nick a goal and sit on the lead. In the end that’s exactly what happened.

Rodney was pretty ineffective today, but given how Monty was playing I expected him to go off and Rodney moved to the left. The angle for the goal made it look like Worrall was climbing on the full back for the nod back across goal. 

Worrall leaped like a possessed salmon. Beautiful sight

Back to basics today much better. Looked solid bar the penalty and disagree with Birchall's commentary. We found ourselves in some great positions and had several good chances most of which fell to Whitehead which I thought he should have done better with. All of them looked like a pass to the keeper.

We still need to be better in the final 3rd but definite improvement.

Thought Theo had a big impact today occupying the centre halves much better than Rodney. I don't understand why Rodney kept dropping short for the ball? 

I'd like to see JA give Theo a run of games up front in the team and think we really miss Amoo. Wozza just not cutting it for me at the moment.

Wonder how many JA and Co will change for tuesday?  Will he go with this line up today or change about 4 or more players?

Just hope the players get some confidence from todays game and any win is greatly accepted.  Some games we win easy, some we nick 3 points and todays was a nick 3 points. 

It happens to us all the time, a team will be battered by Vale and they score and run away with all the points.

We got the rub of the green today. Maybe we haven't in the last three league games. Even though we did ourselves no favours either in those games. We were better today, but we haven't really hit our stride yet. Plus the injuries.

So eighth at this point in time is okay. I agree we miss the under rated Amoo. He gives us that bit of drive. 

Thought Fitz was good today. 

Best defensive record in the league. One of the worst in terms of goals. JA is still trying to unlock the secret of how to stay solid yet create much better chances than we are. He'll get there. Amoo and manny are big misses creatively, and mckirdy has yet to do it. Get those 3 back and on song, and that just could be the difference. Really don't think it matters who plays up top at the moment, all are being starved of decent service. Confident that all would score regularly if given proper service.

Went in to the garden at 3pm this afternoon to cut the grass, trim the hedge, and basically do anything that would keep me out of the house until 5pm.  The last 2 Saturdays, I stayed in to listen to us lose - doing my head in. Got back in to find Scott Brown has once again saved us, and that well known aerial target in the box big bad Wozza has knocked it down for Montano to crash it home late in the game, and not even Fergie time and another crap ref could stop us winning. Love Doha's video - thank you for making my afternoon.  Can now enjoy a pint tonight safe in the knowledge that we will score ten at Cambridge next week to go top of the league.  Funny old game Saint....

Despite my constant moaning all week, we're doing alright and I don't mind us being just outside the play offs for the rest of the year. We'll be hard to beat and not many sides will put a couple past us this season which will give us a great chance of getting something from games. But it's not working going forward and Askey has to find the right solution. I could have told him before a ball was kicked today that Roney up front alone wouldn't be the answer. He's an impact sub player for me currently - You might get away in some games playing him out wide. But once Amoo is back I think we'll see a little less of him. 

Up front is a problem. Robinson has goals in him but isn't always involved in games enough and can look very isolated in our 4-3-3. Cullen links play better but he gets frustrated easily, and he also gives us no sort of aerial threat. Pope does give us an aerial threat and someone that can hold up the ball, but fitness is an issue and so is age. He's definitely not got it in it to be starting games every week.

45 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Wonder how many JA and Co will change for tuesday?  Will he go with this line up today or change about 4 or more players?

I think Rodney needs a rest tbh and I’d replace him with Robinson who did well when he came on. That’s our best back four so I’d leave that alone so the only other change I’d consider would be Burgess for Whitehead.

if we get three or four points from the next two games it would be a good return.

59 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Just hope the players get some confidence from todays game and any win is greatly accepted.  Some games we win easy, some we nick 3 points and todays was a nick 3 points. 

It happens to us all the time, a team will be battered by Vale and they score and run away with all the points.

I get your point, but we were not battered today.

They had a couple of periods of dominance, but so did we. 

We battled and got the breaks, and as you say, this was the opposite of e.g. Morecambe.

We are much better against teams who play.

It's the one's who sit in that are the problem.

We have an excellent work ethic, which was evident today even though it wasn't gelling. Confidence and finesse will come from this base.

It could have gone either way.

Their keeper made some good saves.

They missed a penalty. We scored.

Opposite of last week.

7 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I get your point, but we were not battered today.

They had a couple of periods of dominance, but so did we. 

We battled and got the breaks, and as you say, this was the opposite of e.g. Morecambe.

We are much better against teams who play.

It's the one's who sit in that are the problem.

We have an excellent work ethic, which was evident today even though it wasn't gelling. Confidence and finesse will come from this base.

It could have gone either way.

Their keeper made some good saves.

They missed a penalty. We scored.

Opposite of last week.

Agree fully. Chris Birchall mentioned in the commentary at 0-0 that Salford never got into fifth gear. I might be wrong but I think that was because they were paying us a degree of respect.

Rodney had to do a similar job to what Cullen has done a few times already this season, put in the donkey work and let the striker who replaces him late in the game come on and reap the benefits.

Archived