onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

TylerB

Askey?

Well, I know where we were when he arrived. I know where we've been for the last 6 or 7 years and I know I'm feeling better now than I was then.  We haven't finished higher than our current 8th position for some time so I'm willing to assume that he knows better than I do.

A full season needs the use of a full squad. He has procured one where we have genuine competition at every spot. That will pay off in February, March and April. We sill suffer through some tough games just like we have. So what!

We are definitely going in the right direction. Get behind him.

Advert

Back on topic now. Barring any relegation worries I'd like to think we would give Askey time. No one is going to be able to turn around 20 years of decline in a couple of seasons and if you look at how far we've come in his last 18 months as manager and the stability Carol has now brought to the club I think it's only going to get better.

Askey deserves time. He is generally a good problem solver. He had solutions for a lot of Aspin’s issues of dire ball retention, sluggish tempo and comic defending. 

We are going to be a playoff team minimum this season, if we finish day 12th at the end, I think I’d want a change but I see little to suggest we are going to finish that far down. 

3 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Askey deserves time. He is generally a good problem solver. He had solutions for a lot of Aspin’s issues of dire ball retention, sluggish tempo and comic defending. 

We are going to be a playoff team minimum this season, if we finish day 12th at the end, I think I’d want a change but I see little to suggest we are going to finish that far down. 

There was good evidence of having worked on creativity on Saturday, with Monty and Whitehead having chances.

Also set piece moves that had clearly been worked on.

Steady progress. We are further on than expected.

It's easy to forget this following the superb end to last season and start to this.

I think expectations are ahead of where we are, so a dose of realism, although not welcome, has probably been a good thing.

I think what we have forgotten is he came in to a club where players were turning up drunk to training eating leftovers and he had 2 players banned for failing drug tests.
Yes he's slow with his substitutions and he got the Carlisle game completely wrong but He's taken us from stale pies to promotion contenders in 2 seasons

On 19/10/2020 at 15:51, dishydave said:

I think what we have forgotten is he came in to a club where players were turning up drunk to training eating leftovers and he had 2 players banned for failing drug tests.
Yes he's slow with his substitutions and he got the Carlisle game completely wrong but He's taken us from stale pies to promotion contenders in 2 seasons

At the moment we're 13th, barely creating a chance and are scoring even fewer goals than some really poor sides in League Two. I'd hardly called that falling onto the category of promotion contenders. Yes, there's still plenty of time for things to change and hopefully they will, starting on Saturday. But me personally, I have my doubts, and I dare say a few more might a bit further down the line perhaps too.

At the moment we're 13th, barely creating a chance and are scoring even fewer goals than some really poor sides in League Two. I'd hardly called that falling onto the category of promotion contenders. Yes, there's still plenty of time for things to change and hopefully they will, starting on Saturday. But me personally, I have my doubts, and I dare say a few more might a bit further down the line perhaps too.
You have doubts? Why didn't you say TB?

Archived