1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Whilst we're at it, let's pretend that John askey didn't take us to the brink of the playoffs last season following 2 successive seasons of nearly dropping out of the FL altogether, let's pretend that we haven't beaten Exeter away and wigan away, let's pretend that the progress that the club has made over the past year and a half hasn't happened, let's pretend that Rome was built in a day......

So the last few performances haven't been a worry for you at all then? And neither have team selections and tactics?

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

• Like 1

Advert:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Askey and think he has done a good job since taking over and wouldn't want to judge him untill end of the season. However I think the last three games are worrying because in all three games we

Hate posts like this. This is a forum. It is where football fans discuss football. Bore off

I think what we have forgotten is he came in to a club where players were turning up drunk to training eating leftovers and he had 2 players banned for failing drug tests. Yes he's slow with his subs

So the last few performances haven't been a worry for you at all then? And neither have team selections and tactics?
Did I say that? I'm as disappointed as anybody with the last couple of league performances, but I'm not so shortsighted as to forget at a stroke the progress that has been made under the very same manager that you are lambasting and am willing to give him more than 5 league games before I start to question whether him. I dread to think what would have happened to John rudge had social media been around to allow people like yourself a platform in his early years as manager. Get a grip, calm down, and come back in 10 league games time.
  • Like 3

Joyce is key. i think if you are playing Whitehead and Burgess then you need a designated holding midfield in there. 

As much as I've been impressed with Rodney I think I'd rather see a winger play LW - McKidy starting a few games or Monty moving up maybe. I think we're missing Amoo to be honest.

Theo wasn't in the game but we could barely get the ball anywhere near him, so I won't blame him for that.

We should have scored twice. They had a couple of chances too but it's a different game if we go 1-0 up. That being said it was horrendous after the goal.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, TylerB said:

Did I say that? I'm as disappointed as anybody with the last couple of league performances, but I'm not so shortsighted as to forget at a stroke the progress that has been made under the very same manager that you are lambasting and am willing to give him more than 5 league games before I start to question whether him. I dread to think what would have happened to John rudge had social media been around to allow people like yourself a platform in his early years as manager. Get a grip, calm down, and come back in 10 league games time.

You’re quoting me as if I’ve said he should be sacked. Last season was last season. Yes, he did brilliantly last season. But I’m more interested in the now. I don’t think we’ve actually played particularly well all season in the league. But the last three performances, all against bang average sides, have been as bad as the dark ages of Aspin and Glover. We weren’t unlucky in any of those two defeats and the draw. 1 point from 9 with what many would say is the best side and squad we have had for many years is falling way below expectations. I don’t see it magically changing any time soon as others seemingly do as I don’t believe Askey has any real idea what his actual best 11 or formation is.

Like I said in my opening post, this isn’t an Askey out thread, or even close. But at the moment all the positivity off the pitch is suddenly being neutralised by the <ovf censored> on it, and the manager is largely responsible for that. He needs to get a grip and fast, regardless of what he did last season or while at Macclesfield or whatever.

Edited by TylerB

Advert:

It strikes me that his head was turned.

After two goalless and rather sterile games, we go to Wigan, play 442 and score some goals.
He likes to reward decent performances, so gave it another go.
It's understandable

It looked like a potential solution.

Looking back, it looks all wrong for many reasons.
This doesn't mean 442 will never work, but it was clearly wrong on the day, making us weak and them strong.

I'm sure many lessons will have been learned and have no doubt that the next two games will see us going back to what got us to 8th last season.

• Like 4

I would loved to be have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room this morning, would he have blamed the players who turned out on Saturday ? Or would he have accepted he selected the wrong personnel ? 

I wonder if the senior players spoke out, because they would have realised what a shambles it was against Carlisle.

Playing the system he did on Saturday hung a few out to dry, criticism is coming in on McKirdy who remember was top scorer for Carlisle last season, he wouldn't have scored one with the service he got on Saturday, Robinson scored 10 times last season I think for Colchester and the same applies to him, he would have been lucky to get a goal.

I'm supporting Askey and I think he is the man for the job, he does struggle to beat teams who park the bus (Except on Saturday ) he has got the instruments in the box to have a top 6 side, it's up to him to get a tune out of them, there is no reason why he can't.

At the start of the season we all agreed we had good cover all over the pitch, it's up him now to make it work and sticking my neck out I think we will beat Salford on Saturday.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I would loved to be have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room this morning, would he have blamed the players who turned out on Saturday ? Or would he have accepted he selected the wrong personnel ? 

I wonder if the senior players spoke out, because they would have realised what a shambles it was against Carlisle.

Playing the system he did on Saturday hung a few out to dry, criticism is coming in on McKirdy who remember was top scorer for Carlisle last season, he wouldn't have scored one with the service he got on Saturday, Robinson scored 10 times last season I think for Colchester and the same applies to him, he would have been lucky to get a goal.

I'm supporting Askey and I think he is the man for the job, he does struggle to beat teams who park the bus (Except on Saturday ) he has got the instruments in the box to have a top 6 side, it's up to him to get a tune out of them, there is no reason why he can't.

At the start of the season we all agreed we had good cover all over the pitch, it's up him now to make it work and sticking my neck out I think we will beat Salford on Saturday.

McKirdy divided opinion anyway when he signed. Easy target for some. He was literally not given one ball in space to run at them on Saturday.

McKirdy is the least of our worries as he is probably by the looks of it a fringe player, but he's got crap hair and wears tight shorts = Easy target. 

If we fail to make the play-offs this season then we have to seriously think about whether Askey should remain in charge for the 2021-22 season as there has been decent investment in keeping together his squad with no fans in the stadium. But until it's mathematically certain that we won't be promoted then I don't think we should be thinking about replacing him.

Wow some of the posts on here,lets just remember where we were 18mths ago and what happened last season before we all have breakdowns

5 games have been played in the league,i would sooner see where we are after the first 10,far more important things to worry about than a manager at a football club......oh the same manager the majority were wanting to give a knighthood to after last season.

• Like 5

Advert:

In no way whatsoever do I want to change the manager, Askey has shown that he is more than capable of getting us up and running, but Saturdays game was very strange, with no attempt to change the formation in an attempt to get back in the game, all the changes made for me were like for like so nothing changed, as I said I would love to know what was said this morning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

It strikes me that his head was turned.

After two goalless and rather sterile games, we go to Wigan, play 442 and score some goals.
He likes to reward decent performances, so gave it another go.
It's understandable

It looked like a potential solution.

Looking back, it looks all wrong for many reasons.
This doesn't mean 442 will never work, but it was clearly wrong on the day, making us weak and them strong.

I'm sure many lessons will have been learned and have no doubt that the next two games will see us going back to what got us to 8th last season.

People aren't getting at him for changing for formation. He did what many of us have wanted him to try at home for a while. Something different, something a little more attacking.

My own issue was all of the changes he made for little to no reason, especially in midfield. To take one of Conlon or Joyce out of the team would have been surprising. To take them both out was insane.

40 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Wow some of the posts on here,lets just remember where we were 18mths ago and what happened last season before we all have breakdowns

5 games have been played in the league,i would sooner see where we are after the first 10,far more important things to worry about than a manager at a football club......oh the same manager the majority were wanting to give a knighthood to after last season.

If you can't question some of the managers decisions after 3 inept performances on the bounce, two being at home, and against poor to average at best sides, then when can you? Christ.

Yes we beat a very poor and clearly not really bothered young Wigan side in a cup. Clearly a fair few people got a bit too enthusiastic about this (it's always nice to win any game) which includes the manager.

Edited by TylerB

7 hours ago, rob1983 said:

Seems like one big love in at the moment.

I don't think it's a "love in", more like fans being realistic.  Most would agree that on Saturday the team was a surprise and the performance and result would clearly indicate it was a mistake.

The facts are that we had a great season last year, expectations are understandably high, but it's far to early to start scrutinising the manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I don't think it's a "love in", more like fans being realistic.  Most would agree that on Saturday the team was a surprise and the performance and result would clearly indicate it was a mistake.

The facts are that we had a great season last year, expectations are understandably high, but it's far to early to start scrutinising the manager.

With the squad we have we should be better than 1 point from the last 9, and 7 points from a possible 15. That much I do know, regardless of last season.

• Like 1

Advert:

Are we going to be going back to last season half way through this one still?

Villa were woeful last season and survived by the skin of their teeth. This season under the same manager they are currently flying. Football can change quickly.

Edited by TylerB