onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

TylerB

Form isn’t static, though. When Taylor got injured, we didn’t miss him because Burgess played so well. They were also so similar that I think Taylor got credit for some of Burgess’ work. All players move in and out of form. It isn’t guaranteed that Taylor will do well for Scunny even though it’s a fair bet. 

Advert

9 hours ago, rob1983 said:

Carrol is out of her depth. Brilliant in the community but needs to hold askey too account.

Never underestimate the power of a woman....

Being blunt the last 2 home games and Morecambe away have been appalling.

If it continues for a dozen or so games, then I do feel action needs to be taken.

This club has to be ambitious, there is too much money tied up in the business to flounder in League 2.

It is a sharp learning curve for the Shanahans, one in which I have every faith they will do the 'right thing' whatever that turns out to be.

"There is no sentiment in business, particularly if you are in the process of apending £5M+ over 3 years"

In my opinion Vale have, if not the best at least one of the best Goalkeepers, centre half, right back, left back and midfielder in Division 2. That is a brilliant platform to build a promotion winning Team.

The manager did bring in "his own" players to complement the squad. What we do know is that even though it's early days the squad is not performing to its full potential.  Questions need to be asked therefore....what is wrong? 

Having been a Valiant for many, many years I do accept that we always flatter to deceive and in my ageing years I realise never to expect too much from any Vale squad. That said we all anticipated a really good push for promotion this time. With the feel good factor around the Club in addition to the mightily brilliance of our new owners perhaps we were cajoled into believing that the new players coming in were going to guarantee us what we wanted. Vale fans should know better! 

It is frustrating and hard to take that we have seemingly thrown away games already this campaign. Is it tactics? Is it the players? Is it management? Is it that other Clubs too have grown their squads perhaps better than ours? 

If we knew the correct answers we would all be managers and have successful Teams under our belts. This is football and in particular, this crazy, mad period of time in all our lives is throwing up so many bizarre situations that no one is able to comprehend what the hell is going on.

I am not one of Askey's admirers but he is our manager and to actually call for his head after 5 games smacks of desperation and irrationality. I have been critical of his tactics and his apparent "laid back" aura but also accept he has taken us to where we are now. I honestly do worry though if he can take us further but he has to have longer to prove one way or another what and where he/we can go.

Like so many other Clubs we have suffered injuries and set backs but if we did have a FULL squad to select from it's my belief that they would be more than adequate to sustain a real go at promotion. The magic ingredient as to how to get the players to perform on a regular basis to their abilities ,is one that nearly all Clubs strive for. Maybe that is Askey's downfall? Who knows?

I'm a season ticket holder and love to attend more than two thirds of away games each season. I want success for Vale. I am as mystified as most as to why we churn out dire performances now after such a heady, bright start to this season. But I can see no gain, at this point in time, for a section of fans to call for Askey to go. Time, they say, is a great healer. Should we give him more time? How long? It is just possible he and the squad will deliver in the next few weeks. All I personally ask now is for some tolerance. We can all judge later on, when matters become clearer on the pitch, one way or another.  VTID.

At the end of the day people are entitled to their opinion. And mine is that despite what he's done in the past, Askey has got it wrong badly in the last couple of weeks, none more so than on Saturday when he picked a starting 11 nobody else would. Simple as that. Do I want him gone suddenly? Of course not. I already said in my original post that this isn't what this thread is about. But there can be no doubt that the last 2 or 3 performances in the league have been as bad as we saw under Aspin. No clue in attack, confusing team selections and no thought to change things when they clearly aren't working. He's allowed a blip, as are the players, and I hope that's all it is. But when you get 1 point in 9 against three sides any side with genuine promotion ambitions should be beating, score 0 goals and barely have more than a handful of shots on target in all those game, I think anyone sensible can be accused for worrying a little. Big few games coming up.

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Hardly outwitted...it wasn't anything Carlisle did that caused a sitter of a header to be missed, nor a penalty...and the subsequent follow-up! Those two go in and it's, undeniably, a different game. Missing both clearly gave them more confidence. I don't blame JA for making changes, at any time - with so many players capable of playing in more than one position, and of similar abilities, changes may be made for any number of reason - physical or mental - and these known to the coaching staff, only. I thought it was quite an adventurous team...and going two up early on would have shown that. Missing just one player of those we would consider to be first choice can totally affect the dynamic of the team - missing at least 3 is bound to have an effect unless their replacements step up...and, equally obvious is that some of our players haven't yet reached their standards of last season. Is this because of playing with different personnel? - could be! Or it could be, yet again, any number of unknown factors. It's early doors - we're better off than this stage last season, and I believe our squad is better. Give it time - let's not start looking for a new manager, yet, FFS!!!!! 

Who's looking for a new manager?

I said we should get behind him!

At the end of the day people are entitled to their opinion. And mine is that despite what he's done in the past, Askey has got it wrong badly in the last couple of weeks, none more so than on Saturday when he picked a starting 11 nobody else would. Simple as that. Do I want him gone suddenly? Of course not. I already said in my original post that this isn't what this thread is about. But there can be no doubt that the last 2 or 3 performances in the league have been as bad as we saw under Aspin. No clue in attack, confusing team selections and no thought to change things when they clearly aren't working. He's allowed a blip, as are the players, and I hope that's all it is. But when you get 1 point in 9 against three sides any side with genuine promotion ambitions should be beating, score 0 goals and barely have more than a handful of shots on target in all those game, I think anyone sensible can be accused for worrying a little. Big few games coming up.
Ok TB, you're clearly not going to let this go, so what's your solution, aside from 'play better'?

Ok TB, you're clearly not going to let this go, so what's your solution, aside from 'play better'?

52 minutes ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Not randomly dropping your two best midfielders from the team together when not injured would be a hell of a start. And when something clearly isn't working after 45 minutes, don't send the same team out with the same formation and the same tactics. You can't suddenly polish a turd.

Not randomly dropping your two best midfielders from the team together when not injured would be a hell of a start. And when something clearly isn't working after 45 minutes, don't send the same team out with the same formation and the same tactics. You can't suddenly polish a turd.
Playing devil's advocate, those 2 midfielders that you refer to created absolutely nothing in their previous game against harrogate, and their replacements in the wigan game played very well. Out of interest, if JA had played Joyce and conlon in the Carlisle match, with the same result and performance, what would have been your reaction then?

22 hours ago, TylerB said:

If you can't question some of the managers decisions after 3 inept performances on the bounce, two being at home, and against poor to average at best sides, then when can you? Christ.

Yes we beat a very poor and clearly not really bothered young Wigan side in a cup. Clearly a fair few people got a bit too enthusiastic about this (it's always nice to win any game) which includes the manager.

Calm down me owd fruit,i think you have a problem tiger but nowt i can do about that...... did i say i was on about you i am on about those saying we need a new manager etc,i dont even think i commented on the wigan game as its one i wouldnt of got excited over. For people to start going off on one over Askey after 5 league games is very silly imo,considering the tripe we had when he came in check his stats with us and they are decent tbf to Askey

I think it's fair to question Askey since the start of the season, but overall he's done a sound job since taking over.

My question with Askey (And other managers like Adams who do similar) is, why not change a winning side or winning system? We're not playing the same side the following week, so unless you're on high form it's unlikely to be a repeat. 4-4-2 beating Wigan reserves Tuesday does not automatically mean it'll work again against Carlisle on Saturday.

I think there's time to look at the scouting reports, watch previous games to see what we're up against and plan accordingly for that fixture. And in some ways I'm sure they do that. But just sticking to what worked last is very old school, and with the modern changes to the game we seem to caught out reasonably often by being inflexible.

Archived