onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

TylerB

What we are missing is our team coming off the pitch with most of our players turning in a 7/10 performance. Putting in 5/10 performances doesn't get you promoted regardless of the formation.

JA is a good manager. He has his own philosophy and ideas and we're usually competitive when he sends his team's out onto the park. 
We're probably realising now that L2 isn't going to be easy this season. Players like Mccurdy, Robinson and Rodney will take time to settle , but hopefully they'll improve us in time. We're missing Smith at the moment and I also think we're missing Jake Taylor a hell of a lot. I'm gutted he's ended up at Scunthorpe! 

Advert

17 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Do people actually think Askey asks them to play like that?  

We had a good result against Wigan and after mini dip prior he owed a chance to those from that game to start this one.  Carlisle turned out to be better than we thought however they should have been buried before then.  Askey didn't ask Rodney to miss that sitter or for Pope to have his penalty saved.  If they go in, we cruise to a convincing home win.

That's why this thread is ridiculous at this stage.  All these folk claiming to have doubts about him, really?  We would have made play offs last season against all the odds and, what, 5 games in he is suddenly under pressure for his job...

Rodney and Pope missed, the game slipped away.  Thats it, analysis over.

Yeah, let's just pretend that we've haven't gone three L2 games and only registered a handful of shots on target in all of those combined. Let's act like we haven't scored a goal in three league games on the bounce. Let's pretend that it was almost a masterclass by Askey to drop our two main midfielders for two much weaker players in the last game...

Whilst we're at it, let's pretend that John askey didn't take us to the brink of the playoffs last season following 2 successive seasons of nearly dropping out of the FL altogether, let's pretend that we haven't beaten Exeter away and wigan away, let's pretend that the progress that the club has made over the past year and a half hasn't happened, let's pretend that Rome was built in a day......

Yeah, let's just pretend that we've haven't gone three L2 games and only registered a handful of shots on target in all of those combined. Let's act like we haven't scored a goal in three league games on the bounce. Let's pretend that it was almost a masterclass by Askey to drop our two main midfielders for two much weaker players in the last game...

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Whilst we're at it, let's pretend that John askey didn't take us to the brink of the playoffs last season following 2 successive seasons of nearly dropping out of the FL altogether, let's pretend that we haven't beaten Exeter away and wigan away, let's pretend that the progress that the club has made over the past year and a half hasn't happened, let's pretend that Rome was built in a day......

So the last few performances haven't been a worry for you at all then? And neither have team selections and tactics?

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

So the last few performances haven't been a worry for you at all then? And neither have team selections and tactics?
Did I say that? I'm as disappointed as anybody with the last couple of league performances, but I'm not so shortsighted as to forget at a stroke the progress that has been made under the very same manager that you are lambasting and am willing to give him more than 5 league games before I start to question whether him. I dread to think what would have happened to John rudge had social media been around to allow people like yourself a platform in his early years as manager. Get a grip, calm down, and come back in 10 league games time.

Joyce is key. i think if you are playing Whitehead and Burgess then you need a designated holding midfield in there. 

As much as I've been impressed with Rodney I think I'd rather see a winger play LW - McKidy starting a few games or Monty moving up maybe. I think we're missing Amoo to be honest.

Theo wasn't in the game but we could barely get the ball anywhere near him, so I won't blame him for that.

We should have scored twice. They had a couple of chances too but it's a different game if we go 1-0 up. That being said it was horrendous after the goal.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, TylerB said:

Did I say that? I'm as disappointed as anybody with the last couple of league performances, but I'm not so shortsighted as to forget at a stroke the progress that has been made under the very same manager that you are lambasting and am willing to give him more than 5 league games before I start to question whether him. I dread to think what would have happened to John rudge had social media been around to allow people like yourself a platform in his early years as manager. Get a grip, calm down, and come back in 10 league games time.

You’re quoting me as if I’ve said he should be sacked. Last season was last season. Yes, he did brilliantly last season. But I’m more interested in the now. I don’t think we’ve actually played particularly well all season in the league. But the last three performances, all against bang average sides, have been as bad as the dark ages of Aspin and Glover. We weren’t unlucky in any of those two defeats and the draw. 1 point from 9 with what many would say is the best side and squad we have had for many years is falling way below expectations. I don’t see it magically changing any time soon as others seemingly do as I don’t believe Askey has any real idea what his actual best 11 or formation is.

Like I said in my opening post, this isn’t an Askey out thread, or even close. But at the moment all the positivity off the pitch is suddenly being neutralised by the <ovf censored> on it, and the manager is largely responsible for that. He needs to get a grip and fast, regardless of what he did last season or while at Macclesfield or whatever.

It strikes me that his head was turned.

After two goalless and rather sterile games, we go to Wigan, play 442 and score some goals.
He likes to reward decent performances, so gave it another go.
It's understandable

It looked like a potential solution.

Looking back, it looks all wrong for many reasons.
This doesn't mean 442 will never work, but it was clearly wrong on the day, making us weak and them strong.

I'm sure many lessons will have been learned and have no doubt that the next two games will see us going back to what got us to 8th last season.

I would loved to be have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room this morning, would he have blamed the players who turned out on Saturday ? Or would he have accepted he selected the wrong personnel ? 

I wonder if the senior players spoke out, because they would have realised what a shambles it was against Carlisle.

Playing the system he did on Saturday hung a few out to dry, criticism is coming in on McKirdy who remember was top scorer for Carlisle last season, he wouldn't have scored one with the service he got on Saturday, Robinson scored 10 times last season I think for Colchester and the same applies to him, he would have been lucky to get a goal.

I'm supporting Askey and I think he is the man for the job, he does struggle to beat teams who park the bus (Except on Saturday ) he has got the instruments in the box to have a top 6 side, it's up to him to get a tune out of them, there is no reason why he can't.

At the start of the season we all agreed we had good cover all over the pitch, it's up him now to make it work and sticking my neck out I think we will beat Salford on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I would loved to be have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room this morning, would he have blamed the players who turned out on Saturday ? Or would he have accepted he selected the wrong personnel ? 

I wonder if the senior players spoke out, because they would have realised what a shambles it was against Carlisle.

Playing the system he did on Saturday hung a few out to dry, criticism is coming in on McKirdy who remember was top scorer for Carlisle last season, he wouldn't have scored one with the service he got on Saturday, Robinson scored 10 times last season I think for Colchester and the same applies to him, he would have been lucky to get a goal.

I'm supporting Askey and I think he is the man for the job, he does struggle to beat teams who park the bus (Except on Saturday ) he has got the instruments in the box to have a top 6 side, it's up to him to get a tune out of them, there is no reason why he can't.

At the start of the season we all agreed we had good cover all over the pitch, it's up him now to make it work and sticking my neck out I think we will beat Salford on Saturday.

McKirdy divided opinion anyway when he signed. Easy target for some. He was literally not given one ball in space to run at them on Saturday.

McKirdy is the least of our worries as he is probably by the looks of it a fringe player, but he's got crap hair and wears tight shorts = Easy target. 

If we fail to make the play-offs this season then we have to seriously think about whether Askey should remain in charge for the 2021-22 season as there has been decent investment in keeping together his squad with no fans in the stadium. But until it's mathematically certain that we won't be promoted then I don't think we should be thinking about replacing him.

Wow some of the posts on here,lets just remember where we were 18mths ago and what happened last season before we all have breakdowns

5 games have been played in the league,i would sooner see where we are after the first 10,far more important things to worry about than a manager at a football club......oh the same manager the majority were wanting to give a knighthood to after last season.

Archived