onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

TylerB

No, this isn't an Askey out thread. I have my doubts about him, although I like the guy as a bloke, but after a few very worrying performances of late in the league, we surely have a right to start asking questions? Looking back, we did alright against what was a poor looking Crawley side and then got lucky with the away win against Exeter, as on the day it could have easily been 2-2. I thought our performances could only improve after those two games if anything, but boy, how wrong I was to think that. Morecambe away was the woeful times of Aspin revisited. Today was the dark ages of Jim Gannon, it was that bad.

Can someone try to explain to me why he felt the need to change so much of the personnel if injuries/knocks weren't a thing?

Can someone try to explain to me why he wouldn't make changes at half-time, whether that was a change of the formation, one or two subs or both? Today was the equivalent of eating a cow <ovf censored> sandwich and then someone giving you another, and you eat it in the hope that somehow it will magically taste better.

Can someone explain to me how Worrall has yet to warm his arse on the bench after a number of average at best performances this season? Forget what he did last season, or his reputation. And also forget his work-rate at the moment. When do we start to question what he's actually offering out wide in terms of assists, goals, and quality into the box? But he doesn't pick himself, and so the responsibility again lies on John Askey.

Advert

Harsh to describe the excellent performance at Exeter as a potential draw without conceding we could easily have had more points from any of the last three by the same argument.  It’s five games in, we’re half way and one of the teams that beat us is in top spot. One or two have blown hot ‘n cold and Worrall has mostly blown cold. Askey is still working things out, for example where he can and can’t play Rodney and whether the players have or can develop the flexibility to play 442 and 433. Askey’s record over time is decent, I’m royally wee wee’d off tonight but the big picture isn’t anything to get too het up about at this point.

The simple fact of the matter is that the players have not played well enough often enough so far.   I think JA got it wrong today but nobody was moaning last season when we were flirting with the playoffs.  We've kept the same players, and added one or two more to the squad, but we haven't clicked yet.  Plus we've had a bit of bad luck with injuries.  The main thing for me is that several of the players, no names, haven't individually hit the form that they showed last season.

I think today John got suckered by the midweek performance, against a weak Wigan team, who I think with a full side out will only finish about halfway in their league.  Add this to the last couple of games where we played OK without carving out chances and his hand has been forced somewhat.

The staff and players have to learn from today but it's not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

The simple fact of the matter is that the players have not played well enough often enough so far.   I think JA got it wrong today but nobody was moaning last season when we were flirting with the playoffs.  We've kept the same players, and added one or two more to the squad, but we haven't clicked yet.  Plus we've had a bit of bad luck with injuries.  The main thing for me is that several of the players, no names, haven't individually hit the form that they showed last season.

I think today John got suckered by the midweek performance, against a weak Wigan team, who I think with a full side out will only finish about halfway in their league.  Add this to the last couple of games where we played OK without carving out chances and his hand has been forced somewhat.

The staff and players have to learn from today but it's not the end of the world.

Yeah, you're probably right. But today he got just about everything wrong, and that was on the back of a poor performance against Morecambe. Today anyone would think we would come out with real intent, that lasted about 5 minutes. I'm probably worrying too much and another win or two in the next few weeks will show that this has just been a blip. But today was unacceptable, be it the manager or the players the main culprit(s) for that.

Good comment in The Stokeinel from Phil Sherwin , the win at Wigan cost us this game. 

Askey himself mentioned in his interview about how well we did at Wigan. Well it certainly clouded judgment I reckon, we all know Wigan have had to quickly cobble a team together so it wasn't that great a feat. 

Maybe folk got carried away including JA 

I like askey, think he’s a steady manager. The issue for me is his substitutions, they always seem far too late and don’t seem to have a plan b. If we take a midfielder off we bring a midfielder on. That’s the issue for me. I think you posted on the other thread we seem a decent side when we take the lead and like you I don’t see us picking up many points from losing positions. 

12 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Good comment in The Stokeinel from Phil Sherwin , the win at Wigan cost us this game. 

Askey himself mentioned in his interview about how well we did at Wigan. Well it certainly clouded judgment I reckon, we all know Wigan have had to quickly cobble a team together so it wasn't that great a feat. 

We put in a decent performance against a clearly unmotivated, not really interested Wigan side.

If we barely create a chance of note yet again against Salford next Saturday then I believe there is a genuine problem somewhere. Amoo can't come back quick enough though.

35 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

But if the same team but in the same performances that they did against Harrogate and Morecambe then everyone would be, quite rightly, demanding to know why the lads who played so well against Wigan weren't played instead.

How many managers have we had where we complain they don’t make subs quickly enough. We did it Micky, page, brown, Aspin and now Askey. 

I have faith in the man, we need to find our gear but I believe it will come. Very difficult not to be frustrated right now but we need to be scoring goals. 

9 hours ago, Wrex said:

But if the same team but in the same performances that they did against Harrogate and Morecambe then everyone would be, quite rightly, demanding to know why the lads who played so well against Wigan weren't played instead.

Oh yes I agree , damned if he does damned if he doesn't. 

Not so sure wholesale changes were needed myself. Robinson I guess after two goals had to start, obviously Clark also .

But some of the changes were so left field like Whitehead and Crookes .

26 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Oh yes I agree , damned if he does damned if he doesn't. 

Not so sure wholesale changes were needed myself. Robinson I guess after two goals had to start, obviously Clark also .

But some of the changes were so left field like Whitehead and Crookes .

I will hold my hand up and say I thought he'd named a really attacking formation and I welcomed it at 2pm. I also thought Whitehead had looked good before Saturday. I was a bit surprised at the dropping of Joyce and Conlon but I wondered if that was JA giving a "no-one is undroppable" message.

But my reaction shows why I'm no football manager! 

For what it's worth...

- Had Rodney's header or that penalty gone in it could have been a different story. I'm not blaming Pope - he's got nothing to prove after his years at the club - but those were the golden chances and either could have knocked the stuffing out of Carlisle. 

- It shows that at this level consistency is everything. We look a different team when the likes of Worrall, Burgess etc are on top form. If some (or on Saturday's case half a dozen) are off the ball it shows.

- Finally, for me, it's a long season. We're in the very early stages. I think JA has done really well in the summer and I have faith this is a blip. I just hope people don't overreact to what is three poor games in a season of 46 games.

17 minutes ago, robf said:

I will hold my hand up and say I thought he'd named a really attacking formation and I welcomed it at 2pm. I also thought Whitehead had looked good before Saturday. I was a bit surprised at the dropping of Joyce and Conlon but I wondered if that was JA giving a "no-one is undroppable" message.

But my reaction shows why I'm no football manager! 

For what it's worth...

- Had Rodney's header or that penalty gone in it could have been a different story. I'm not blaming Pope - he's got nothing to prove after his years at the club - but those were the golden chances and either could have knocked the stuffing out of Carlisle. 

- It shows that at this level consistency is everything. We look a different team when the likes of Worrall, Burgess etc are on top form. If some (or on Saturday's case half a dozen) are off the ball it shows.

- Finally, for me, it's a long season. We're in the very early stages. I think JA has done really well in the summer and I have faith this is a blip. I just hope people don't overreact to what is three poor games in a season of 46 games.

If that penalty had been given against us we’d be moaning all week what a shocking decision it was and ok we missed a clear chance with Rodneys header but that was it over 90 mins and to say it’s just a blip I’m not so sure 

8 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

If that penalty had been given against us we’d be moaning all week what a shocking decision it was and ok we missed a clear chance with Rodneys header but that was it over 90 mins and to say it’s just a blip I’m not so sure 

But it was given and that's not really my point. What I'm saying is even with a poor performance we still could have been undeservedly 2-0 up and that would have been a totally different story.

For me it has to be a blip. What else can it be after two losses in a row? 

Archived