On fire for the promotion season, then average in league one, then above average in league two. At his age should be showing more maturity and leadership, yes he’s a club legend but I still haven’t forgiven him for various off the pitch misdemeanours which have cost us his suspensions and him his reputation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sad to read in an article today that he has felt harshly thought of by some Vale fans who think of him as just some sort of lump who wins his fair share of headers and scores some tap ins. He's bang o

I'd disagree with that. I think every man and his dog except for VFIA and 007 has Gibbons and Smith in their starting 11, and that's only because one has doubts because they are stoke fans and the oth

On Tuesday, he did tons of unsung work running channels etc to help out Robinson. Theo still had to find the net and deserves credit but I think Pope must be an excellent partner to have upfront. His

1 hour ago, rob1983 said:

Way past his best. Need get rid must be on a fair wedge. Offers nothing to the side nowadays, especially with how John wants to set up the team. He will always be a club legend though.

Get rid ? He is on the last year of his contract, and will offer plenty this season.

Yes his penalty was saved and he didn't do much but neither did the other 10 outfield players.

Pope still has a part to play.

• Like 4

My main criticisms of Pope have been his off pitch David Icke antics and looking unfit for a long period up until the start of last season. 

He isn’t as quick as he was (he has never been fast) but undoubtedly he is one of the best talents we have had at the club in my lifetime. The Man City finish  was world class and he is, aside from pace, the complete striker. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob1983 said:

Way past his best. Need get rid must be on a fair wedge. Offers nothing to the side nowadays, especially with how John wants to set up the team. He will always be a club legend though.

Stan Matthews was way past his best at 46 but still helped Sjoke get promotion!!

• Like 3

It was a good header but world class?! Come on! I just wish he'd try to get to a cross like that as he did (obv desperately wanted to score) every time rather than stand still and then moan when the ball isn't delivered directly onto his bonce, like he does more often than not. He has a bit part to play this season but he does have a role.

My main criticisms of Pope have been his off pitch David Icke antics and looking unfit for a long period up until the start of last season. 

He isn’t as quick as he was (he has never been fast) but undoubtedly he is one of the best talents we have had at the club in my lifetime. The Man City finish  was world class and he is, aside from pace, the complete striker. 

Oh dear!Can't believe this subject is getting so many negative posts.I will never slag off any of that Micky Adam's team that played for nowt, initially,then performed a bloody miracle getting promotion. Tom Pope included.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have these threads criticising Pope regularly on here. Yes, we realise he's at the fag end of a magnificent Port Vale career and we know he missed a penalty last weekend but that should not detract from his outstanding part of our Club's history (as Bezza says) and without his goals we'd probably be playing non league football by now.

If we give him the ball in the right areas he'll still score goals - as he did in our Cup run last year. The real problems we've had of late are not creating chances for the strikers and lacking a cutting edge and some creativity. He, nor Cullen, can score if they haven't got the ball. Our current issues lie in a lack of penetration down the wings and zero midfield guile.

He'll still have a part to play for us this year.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, rob1983 said:

He's getting a little older sure but I'd still back him to become our top goalscorer from what I've seen so far.

• Like 1

I hear what both sides of the discussion say, ie his hold up play is good, or he has no pace etc etc. 

But very few people actually acknowledge that he is by far the best finisher we have had for quite a while. 

If he finds himself with a chance in the box, he invariably finishes it with either his head or foot. He's not just a heading machine. 

Sometimes there is too much talk from the inteligente about his attributes, or indeed lack of. 

Pope is a goalscorer. Realise that, as Adams did, and then you get the best out of him. 

• Like 1

There are two aspects to a players game, ability on the ball is important but you would expect most players at the level we are at to have that considering they have probably been doing it most of their lives. The most important aspect is the ability to play with the right intensity, look at Erikson at Tottenham, when he first started at Tottenham people asked what he did for the team but as England found out the other night, he is quite a good player. You can see that he really means it and makes a great deal of effort. I am not saying Tom is anything like him but you can see that when Tom runs at opposition players on the pitch when they have the ball they are intimidated by his presence which makes them make mistakes. Players at our level need that side of the game to do well. Tom Conlon is another player with the same intensity of play.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rob1983 said:

You do realise if we did get rid ( your opinion ) we would still have to pay his fair wedge !